1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

So I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to mate the 360 to the engine...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to mate the 360 to the engine...

...and it's still not together. GRRR! I've done this job about 3 or 4 times now, but this time...it's killing me.

When I got my new tranny, I decided to get a SB flywheel with the bearing. I can get the input shaft through the TOB, I'm pretty sure the splines are thru the clutch disc, but I'll be damned if I can get the thing to mate up all the way. Literally 6 hours yesterday.

I tried measuring, various angles, I tried using long bolts as guides. I can get all but that last inch or so.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom...I could suuuuuure use them!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Is this the same clutch plate and pressure plate? When my NV4500 was installed with the SB stuff the inside of the bell housing had to be ground out a little to clear and fit correctly
Old 11-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Nope, new clutch/pp/flywheel. But, there doesn't appear to be any bellhousing issues...just can't get the thing to align properly for the input shaft to pass through the flywheel bearing.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you test fit it all on the ground first?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 AM

No I sure didn't... In retrospect I wish I would have but it never even occurred to me I'd have this type of issue.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 AM

do you have the trans and t-case in gear such that you can spin the input shaft from the tail shaft?

Also I usually just do the trans by its self and then the t-case. I found it is just easier to man handle each one at a time rather than trying to get everything up and put in together. And it really doesn't take much time to separate them.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a helper to get up in the truck and disengage the clutch, this will loosen up the clutch disc and allow the input to wiggle around with the clutch disc a little and it will slide right into the pilot bearing....

I just went through all this And i though I had the wrong pilot bearing from valair, had my buddy push the clutch and the trans slid right up in
Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Get a helper to get up in the truck and disengage the clutch, this will loosen up the clutch disc and allow the input to wiggle around with the clutch disc a little and it will slide right into the pilot bearing....

I just went through all this And i though I had the wrong pilot bearing from valair, had my buddy push the clutch and the trans slid right up in
X2...Assuming that the pilot is correct, this always works for me...Mark
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have always pushed it by myself just fine but the input fits tight in there. I would check if the pilot bearing is the right size, also did You put grease inside the bushing? I did once and didn't leave space for air to come out, this could block it and not let You push it all the way in.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try to shake/jar the trans jack, if you haven't already. Disengaging the clutch works too.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son

For a minute, I thought you were nuts. Then I remembered the Getrag is on a seperate bellhousing. I couldn't do that with my G56.

Is it possible the pilot diameter on the input shaft is damaged or out of spec and too big, or an interference fit in the bearing?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you tried using a clutch alignment tool about 15 dollars at pep boys
as the plates all have to line up perfectly or the pilot shaft wont which is about inch use a dowel that the right size as that works too
Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by tech-eh
have you tried using a clutch alignment tool about 15 dollars at pep boys
as the plates all have to line up perfectly or the pilot shaft wont which is about inch use a dowel that the right size as that works too

X2, Had this issue with a friends mustang and needed an alignment tool/spare input shaft to get everything lined up right then the trans slid right into place. Only thing we could think was that someone pressed the clutch pedal in the car allowing the whole clutch assy. drop lower in the bell housing. (attached bell housing/ clutch while motor was on a stand in the garage so all that needed done was sliding trans in from underneath after motor was installed.)

If you end up needing a 2nd hand shoot me a PM, Princeton is not that far from me so ill try to help if I have some free time tomm.

Good luck..
Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 AM

Well, yesterday I stripped the thing down to just the tranny (no crossmember or TC and tried again...and failed again. I don't know if I've just lost my mojo or what the devil is going on, but I'll be damned if I can't line that up and push it together. Thing is sucking out my soul.

And the terrible part is, this isn't my first or even second time doing this job. Grrr. Oh well, third day is a charm, they say...or something like that.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Well, I just came in with no luck again.

Well, I can't say NO luck, as I've got some pilot bolts thru the holes, and I have the jack up on a nice flat surface, so I can wheel it around a little bit.

I'd like to try the clutch thing, but have to wait until someone gets home from work who can help...wife just had surgery, so she's out fo sho.

Grrr!

Quick Reply: So I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to mate the 360 to the engine...