1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Snow Performance vs. Cooling Mist Water/Meth Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Performance vs. Cooling Mist Water/Meth Systems

Does anyone have any opinions on the Snow Perf. vs. Cooling Mist variable controllers? After talking with both companies on the phone, I am pretty conviced the Cooling Mist controller is much better.

Snow says their controller has a starting point and end point controlled by boost. There is then a linear feed from the starting to ending points. Snow admits this can cause problems when you are towing up a hill holding 20psi because your EGT's can keep creeping up since the boost isn't high enough to hit your end point setting. This is the reason they recently came out with the new boost and EGT based controller. However, the new controller is very expensive.

Cooling Mist says their controller is much more versatile and can be programmed using a computer/laptop. Their controller has a starting point and ending point also based on boost. The big difference is their controller also has a "Tune" **** which makes the feed from start to end points more or less aggressive. This means if you are towing up a hill and EGT's start to creep up due to the boost issue, you can simply reach down and turn the tune **** to a more aggressive setting. You can also adjust the start and end points for boost using ***** and from inside the cab. All adjustments to the controller can be performed on-the-fly!

Is there something I'm missing here or is the Cooling Mist controller just much more versatile? Any one running the CM controller that can comment on how it works in the real world?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:32 PM

not running either, but was looking at the same exact thing last night. after looking at both i was thinking the same as you, the cooling mist seems better to me.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

I was set on the homemade version posted here, but after reading about the variable controllers I know I would end-up getting one eventually anyway so might as well get the whole kit now. They want $200 for the controller alone, so upgrading the homemade setup is not really any cheaper. Much easier to just get the controller and complete kit for the initial install.

I would love to hear some comments on anyone running or familar with the Cooling Mist controller. Thx!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
My trailer will be paid for at the end of this year so next year I'll be able to afford the diesel to travel some. This seems like a heckofa cheaper idea than getting an intercooler.

Edwin
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Banned

Wow, I can't believe nobody here is running the Cooling Mist controller with their setup.

Guess I'll be the guinea pig and let you all know then!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Wow, I can't believe nobody here is running the Cooling Mist controller with their setup.

Guess I'll be the guinea pig and let you all know then!
Aahh just a little insurance for the track will you be able to get it dun before fri.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flashgordon
Aahh just a little insurance for the track will you be able to get it dun before fri.
Well, after my slightly disappointing dyno numbers the other day I had to try just one more mod. Corrected for altitude, my best numbers were 216hp and 523lbs torque. I've really noticed the TC slipping now when it was hard to tell before. I bet with a real TC I would be putting at least 260hp and 600+lbs torque to the ground (and that's a conservative estimate assuming only a 20% loss through the tranny).

But yes, it is basically insurance for the track this Friday. I won't run EGT's higher than 1300 and have to try and keep up with smokin and his 1600 temps somehow.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

Wow...installed the kit and hardly any drop in EGT's using a 75% water 25% meth mix.

I could hit 1300 easily before and can still hit 1250-1300 now with the controller maxed out on "10". The odd thing is I only gained 2psi of max boost and that doesn't change whether the controller is on "1" or "10". Perhaps I need a second nozzle since the engine is nowhere near bogging? I'm not sure how the Coolingmist pump comes set...maybe I just need to increase the pressure there?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You definitely need to crank that pump up---till you bog, then back it down a hair. And put some meth in there! 25% is a towing mix---49% will give you some more boost! And don't forget, the more power you make, the more power is available for your torque converter to suck up and pour into your heat exchangers...HP that will never see the asphalt....should be a crime!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by G1625S
You definitely need to crank that pump up---till you bog, then back it down a hair. And put some meth in there! 25% is a towing mix---49% will give you some more boost! And don't forget, the more power you make, the more power is available for your torque converter to suck up and pour into your heat exchangers...HP that will never see the asphalt....should be a crime!
I just talked to the guy at Coolingmist and he says the pump is not adjustable (it is, but it's preset at max). All of the psi adjustments are done through the controller. He said I must need another nozzle since I can't bog it down even on the highest setting.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 PM

do you have a link to the kit you bought.... just wondering which one it is.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you're trying for EGT reduction, stick with the 20-25% meth mix.

Like Greg said, if you can't bog the motor you don't have enough capacity.

One thing some guys have noticed is that the EGT spikes when the spray hits and then starts to drop off. Try to get a repeatable number on a good test hill before you decide how much EGT drop you have.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Banned

https://www.coolingmist.com/detailma...controllerkit2
Old 06-30-2006, 09:23 PM

they specifically say no need to change the size of the nozzles, lol. no different size, just need miltiple ones.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
they specifically say no need to change the size of the nozzles, lol. no different size, just need miltiple ones.
LOL...you're right.

In their defense, I did buy general "car/ricer" kit instead of the more expensive diesel kit. The diesel kit comes with like 6 nozzles, but he thought I could get by with just 1 bigger nozzle on an older truck (he did include a bigger nozzle for me at no charge). Guess not though.

Quick Reply: Snow Performance vs. Cooling Mist Water/Meth Systems