1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Snorkel??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkel??

I am in a lot of high water situations with my 92 CTD 4x4 and i wanted to know yalls opinion on a snorkel, i will be making it with fairly large plumbing and wanted to know if it would rob lots of power
Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 AM

If your in deep enough water where you need a snorkel then you also need to worry about the other things that are underwater too. Make sure you run all your vent lines to an above water location, that means both axles, the trans/transfer, and the vent tube on the engine. Also make sure you seal up any leaks that you have, because if oil is getting out, water will get in.

As far as a snorkel goes, just make sure you use large enough tubing for adequate air volume and a big enough filter and you should be fine. Try not to use any very sharp bends either as fast moving fluids don't like to change direction very quickly. You also need to test the the assembly for leaks. You can do that by capping it off with rubber pipe caps and pressurizing it with air(about 1-2psi) and then spraying it with soap and water in a spary bottle.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A hot aluminum body injection pump and cold water don't mix. You may want to also look through your owners manual and follow the recommended procedures after each immersion in water. Don't take this offensively but the old military Jeeps that had the deep water fording kits were considered as disposable tools along with their cargo and the soldiers that they carried. The military had mega dollar budget and thousands of spare differentials and other driveline parts along with "wheeled vehicle mechanics" to do severe duty preventative maintenance. Plan to pay if you are going to play, especially in deep dirty water.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Im adding one. Not for deep water but for cold air. I have a junk fender on the passenger side so no hard feelings on knocking a hole in it. The air filter is going in a water tight ammo box and then the snorkel is coming out of that through the fender.......itll do the job.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Safari Snorkel SS78-HFZ for 78 Series. Fits a '92 perfectly.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If you plan on deep water you might need to do a lot of sealing or relocating on the electrical side as well. The PCM is beside the battery under the fender and it is in an open vented box. I would be surprised if the grid heater relays are water tight. I would also be looking for spare exhaust manifolds and exhaust housings. I can only imagine what cold water would do to a hot iron casting.
On the up side, your egt's would surely benefit from a water cooled intercooler.
I thought of doing the same thing but after hurricane Floyd and all the water crossings that washed out, and the water in the transfer case and rear ends I decided that a jon boat was cheaper.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Ive always been a 4wheeler so im not new to fluid changes and vent tubes and all that comes with water crossings. Im never really over the hood with water its just that with my other trucks (primarily my old bronco beater) ive had problems with the fan spraying water into my air intake so i just like to raise the the air intake away from those spinning parts Thanks for all the suggestions tho