1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Smokey Pin install results

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 12:34 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Smokey Pin install results

Well, it's in. Throttle seems way better in response. Tomorrow in the morning I'll check 'er out on the freeway. My question with the install is the instructions. It says to remove and discard the white plastic washer that rides through the OEM pin. Right before the install of the Smokey pin it says to slip the black plastic washer on. I did not get a black plastic washer with the kit, just another spring. Anyone run into this problem? I guess I just reuse the stock white plastic washer??? Advice, please! Carmyne
Old 11-05-2005, 12:43 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
My question with the install is the instructions. It says to remove and discard the white plastic washer that rides through the OEM pin. Right before the install of the Smokey pin it says to slip the black plastic washer on. I did not get a black plastic washer with the kit, just another spring. Anyone run into this problem? I guess I just reuse the stock white plastic washer??? Advice, please! Carmyne
As I understand it, the washer limits the amount of travel of the cone (toward it's most extreme position), perhaps to prevent the fuel pin from riding back up the other side of the ramp as it were, if not possibly damaging the fuel pin from the side loading. Ultimately, the black one is the same device, but thinner (I think, dunno), allowing the pin to go to the new cone's ramps final position (full fuel).

. . . . . . ya know what I mean?

Some folks grind theirs down some.

I took the white washer off my mess some years ago with no ill effects to date . . . (BC knocks on wood ).

Hopefully, those who've actually installed one as well can chime in with what they see.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmmm. When Hertz let me try his Old Smoky pin, it came with the white ring and a spring. It seemed to me that the function of the white ring would be as BC847 explained.

Carmyne, I think you ought to call Lenny and ask what's up since the instructions don't match the parts you have.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I took all the washers out to see what would happen with the BullyDog pin, which I understand is a knock off of the Smokey pin. The "track" left on the pin by the rod the pin controls, showed it was over traveling a tad by running up the back side a little. I put the white washer back and now the pin only travels enough to allow the rod maximum travel. No washers didn't hurt anything but it didn't allow full fuel. The real point of all of this is: The rod that pushes against the cam surface of the fuel pin leaves a small trace that you can see and use to adjust accordingly.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my stock one to .100 but didn't notice a difference.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look close, the plastic washer stops the fuel pin from being pushed down too
far. I removed mine and colored the pin with my trusty Sharpie and ran it for
a couple weeks, then pulled the pin and you could see where the gizmo that
rides against the pin had ..... bottomed? out. So I replaced the plastic hickie
and ran it for a few days and checked it again... YEP! she no more touchey.

I did notice that there was enough space to use a thinner washer but I just cranked
the screw another 1/2 turn.