1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

smoke screw ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke screw ???

Hope you guys can help, I turned the smoke screw up according to the instructions on dodgediesel.org and when I tried to tighten the locknut back down it striped out! When I took a closer look I could see that there didn't seem to be enough thread on the torx screw to screw on to. The only way that I can get the lock nut back on to 125 in. lbs. is to return the torx screw back to normal Any help would be GREATLY appriciated.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect you were to trying to gain a little hp and not detune it? If this is the case, when adjusting the smoke screw, you have to go clockwise, (towards the engine). This sets a preload on the eccentric cone and allows the fuel pin to advance further out at low to no boost conditions.

So, just remember, performance or preload on smoke screw = clockwise, in fact, all adjustments on the pump, (AFC, fuel screw, smoke screw etc.) are all turned clockwise to gain performance.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If your smoke screw was in that far, somebody's been playing in your pump. I have found that a lot of preload on the fuel pin just equals a lot of smoke off the line and when shifting, but doesn't add much performance. There's much more performance to be found by rotating the fuel pin. I'm sure you can find a metric nut at the hardware store to replace the lock nut. Just put it back the way it was, it was probably turned up a bunch before you got in there.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:17 PM

Monty.

I was trying to up the hp, and I did turn the smoke screw cw, but when I tried to tighten the locknut back down, the torx screw was so far down into the pump that the locknut didn't have enough thread to grab onto. In other words, I finshed making the adjustment, I just can't get the locknut back on because it is stripped out. I also know that I didn't turn it too far because I only turned it 2 and 1 half turns "clockwise". I don't think it has ever been tuned up before because until I made this change the truck's performance was identical to my other 92 that I know has never been turned up. I'm very pleased with the outcome of the adjustment, it really came to life. I just don't know what to do about the locknut. Can I just leave the locknut off if I use some high strength threadlock to lock the torx screw in place? Any suggestions? BTW, thanks for responding to my question.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:03 PM

Thanks wannadiesel.
I figured that is what I would have to do
Old 01-27-2004, 09:28 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Mine started to do that too. After I got around to turning the fuel up, I turned it back some anyway. I believe not all pumps respond the same, and take a little more tuning to notice changes. You might mark where you like the setting, back it out far enuff for a touch of locktite, then turn it back.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:59 PM

Thanks Redleg, That's probably what I'll do.

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

It's a bit unusual to have the 'smoke screw' turned that far down.
Normally it is used primarily for affecting not only the initial smoke but first 'shot' of fuel which helps to spool the turbo. After the first 50 or 60 feet it no longer applies to anything.
You may want to look elsewere for your tweaks, and bring that screw back up.
JMO....

bob.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:40 AM

maybe you have a failing lift pump