1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

is this a small, medium, or large problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
[QUOTE=csramsey640]Like boatnik said, get a small punch and hit on the lower side of the frost plug, and the top will pop out enough to get vise grips on it. if you notice the whole plug moving, then you need a smaller more concentrated punch, your objective is to rotate the plug only. Install is about as easy, get a socket...i prefer a short one that is smaller than the plug. If your not sure get a socket that will come close to fitting the one in the block, because if you dont have enough clearance, once the plug seats in the block....you wont get your socket back out.

BTW, dont hammer like hell on them, because its easy to punch through one.[QUOTE]

Real good advice,
also if you beat them in too far and hit that ugly piece of metal behind it..
You just hit the outside of your cylinder liner and depends on how hard you smacked it; you could damage it and might even crack it.

I know how some people get carried away with a BIG hammer; I have seen the ball joints, tie rod ends and spindle nuts to prove it.
Jim
Old 08-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I have punched some of them through into the water jacket and then had to go fishing for it afterwards. I could usually reach in with my finger, piece of welding rod or a magnetic pickup and was able to get them back up to the hole. I will pull it half way out the hole then hook on to it with the hooked end of my tapered pin or pull it out with the open top jaw of a pair of channelocks using the block as a fulcrum, it pulls right out.

Jim
I knocked the one on the very back of the block between the head and bellhousing in . But luckily I have my tranny and bellhousing out. I tried to reach it with my fingers but couldn't feel it. i guess Ill have to try a could other things like a coat hanger or something