1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Slide in Camper hauling

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slide in Camper hauling

Hello,

A buddy of mine is in a fix and needs a slide in truck camper moved some 300 miles. It wieghs in at near 4000 lbs. I have a slightly modded 93 with overload springs, banks intercooler-turbo-wastegate-4" out with a BHAF. Now I am wondering if anyone here has a slide in and how this set up does. I pull my 6k trailer with this no problem but its not all sitting in the bed. I already have some cracking at the bed corners up front.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Well I've got my Dad's 8 1/2' camper loaded up and were heading out tomorrow. Mine's already got Firestone airbags on it so capacity isn't an issue. Of course I'm sure this camper doesn't quite weigh half of the one your lookin to haul. I think with the overload springs you should be OK. That camper must be like an 11 footer with enough overhand to cover the top of a crew cab. A maybe slide-out too?
Old 06-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Yea it has a slide out from what I was told. I just want to know what to expect before hauling it. I am looking at getting $300 for a few hours on the road. I have had like a ton and half in the back but that was screeting. Do these campers lay flat on the bed? do I need to put something (plywood) down first? Also how about the tail gate?
Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No plywood is not needed. As for the tailgate, a camper that size probably will require that you remove the tailgate. Now the real question, do you have mounts on the front of the bed sides or on the frame AND rear bumper mounts? Actually I don't like rear bumper mounts. Mine are mounted on the rear hitch(which has extentions to each side.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:39 PM

I am clueless when it comes to the slide in's. But I now know what to ask before I get into this mess. I figured the tail gate has to come out...not too big a prob. I know that this guy just bought the camper... so who knows what kinda mounts he got with it..are the hitch mounts options? are the bumper mounts more of a stock thing.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
You will need mounts to secure it to your truck. This guy your helping, did he buy the camper with the mounts? It so your golden. Just take tools with you, basic hand tools, drill, bits and so one. Then when you get to the camper, install the mounts just like the previous owners truck. No mounts are not stock on your truck. They are additions WHEN someone buys a slide-in.........
Old 06-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanx for the info....It will help in makeing my decision of takeing the job or not. About the mounts for the trailer I figured that they came with the RV. I just didnt make that clear. I was aiming at if better mounts i.e. hitch mounts you mentioned typicaly came with the camper. Or is it something you have to go out and buy kinda like my Equilizer anti-sway weight dist. hitch I got for my Trailer...man it made all the diffrence in the world.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:56 PM

It's not a matter of can the horse pull the load [of course the cummins can] the question is can the wagon handle the load!!! the old campers were big 11 foot plus but lighter built and without slide outs. These new campers with slides are Heavy and are recommented for daullys . Not worth the $300. You are over loading your tires .I have the same truck and with my camper @ 3000lbs loaded for camping, with 10 ply tires,air bags ,1ton front coils I'm pushing the limit. just my 2 cents and many years camper exp
Old 06-17-2007, 09:58 PM

I fabbed my own up. 2x2 square stock slips into the sides of my hitch. A set screw keeps them in place. On the outer ends I boxed them off and mounted the clip doodad that the turn buckles mount to. That way no stress on my bumper or bed. The strenght of the frame is used.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
OK, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to slide ins so I'm an outsider looking in.

Since you are just hauling this load and not using it, can a slide in be set down on a trailer and moved? That way the load is not in the bed and the truck itself won't need to be modified?

Just thinking out loud...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 AM

Ya know KRB, yer right, I think in this case putting it on a trailer would be the better option. Of course you'de need a trailer narrow enough so you could back it between the jacks.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:34 AM

here is what mine looks like loaded..

I do nto have a slide out on mine.. and mine only weights 2000lbs at the most fully loaded..

a buddy has a 4000lbs one with slide outs and he said if you do nto have air bags you will have a hard time keeping your ride level..

I thikn you can see the mounting points I use for the front of my camper..
it is 2x2 tube that goes under the entire body for each side to connect to..

http://image24.webshots.com/565/6/61...tions/FullSize
Old 06-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Bruiser,

The link doesn't work, but I'd love to see your set up

Michael
Old 06-18-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 92DIESEL
Bruiser,

The link doesn't work, but I'd love to see your set up

Michael
try these links

Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Nice XJ . I really like how you adapted 2nd or 3rd Gen towing mirrors. Kewl!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Slide in Camper hauling