1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Skyjacker Lifts for 1st gens are a trash

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
so don't take these questions as a "put down"..

My question for you is WHY didn't you return the springs, and utilize a local spring shop ? Is it an issue of getting it done fast ? Is it a cost issue?
I'm pretty hard to offend.

As with anything a lot of factors went into deciding to use the springs. The major ones were availability, time, and need.

The drivers front has been sagging since I've had the truck, it got much worse very quickly this summer.(extra weight of the 5600?) It got to the point of resting basically on the bumpstop causing some funky suspension and steering movements. Mix this with the 500-1500 miles a week I've been putting on lately and it needed to be done quickly. These were my only real quick option. The closest spring shop is about 100 miles away and open the same times I'm at work; add up the cost of driving, missing a days work, and paying for the work and it's probably cheaper to buy a new set of springs.

As for the bolt, mine were to rusty to read and I see the mounting bracket bending before it shears a 5/8 bolt but I can see where a softer bolt wouldn't be a bad idea. The service info I have isn't all that great on older stuff including a diesel specific spring torque, I went with 120(figured 190 would crush the soft bracket and sleeve) so it isn't that far off.

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have use Skyjacker springs for 15 years on MANY Powerwagons, and Power Rams.
They send me bushings AND the center sleeves.
They have bushing sized for the gassers and the diesel sized bolts, sealed in a bag, so I don't understand the tech telling you the diesel has no sleeves….
This is interesting because I called twice (I think two different techs) and was told the same thing twice. I got the "cummins" springs and bushing kit but it only came with 1/2" sleeves. I got my kit from summit because they have really quick delivery to here, I wonder if this problem is something the other companies figured out 30 years ago and fixed themselves. I'm a little more angry with skyjacker now that I know the right parts exist.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by user name
I'm a little more angry with skyjacker now that I know the right parts exist.
Well, don't go postal on anyone just yet. Maybe it's just you they don't like.....

(ooops... Forgot smiley indicator)

BTW,

Check your PM
Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by comotionman
I would be using a stover nut.

Did you measure the bore of spring eye bushing? If so what is it? Evidently you managed to insert a sleeve, or what was the mod? You were a bit vague.
I didn't measure the polly bushing first but based on the fit of a 5/8 bolt(5/8 bolt is slightly smaller than 0.625") I would guess around 0.620" it is a snug not tight fit. I can tell you the O.D on the polly is about 1" (kind of soft material to get a really accurate reading on. The sleeve I had made was .750 O.D. with a .625 I.D. .

Pictures of the as supplied and modified.

Both bolts in picture are 5/8 x 4". The left is as supplied right is the sleeve that was made.
Name:  20140801_1950531_zps5fe1fe13.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  71.2 KB

This is the 5/8 bolt in the supplied bushing(bottom) and modified set up (top).
Name:  20140801_1951481_zps6e0a0c5f.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  58.3 KB
Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I don't know why you want to torque down the spring mounting bolt. Unless you're clamping down on a hard sleeve around the bolt inside a bushing, pulling the bolt down tight just binds the spring preventing the spring from pivoting properly on it. I'd put the nut on just tight enough not to rattle.

I've always used grade 8 bolts anytime I've put in springs, or say a dump box pivot. Pull strength and shear isn't an issue, but abrasive resistance is.

<edit> I shouldn't post when I'm tired. Just noticed the sleeves.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
When I first bought my truck I went to skyjacker and had a terrible experience. When my package came I was missing bolts and after spending a lot of time on the phone and not wanting to pay money + shipping I went to my local hardware store. The box was torn and pretty sure UPS has a few bolts rolling around in the truck. When I installed the kit and everything was complete.. I have to say I was really happy. I hit the farm and few bumps something was clacking pretty good. My u-blot snapped right near the top crown. You could see where there was a air bubble in the steel.. minor defect. I called SkyJacker and the u-bolt was $59.. I ended up getting two for free because you can't really re-use u-bolts once they stretch. I guess it depends who you talk to there? I would have thought the bolts would have been free. Year later the springs in the front sagged so bad I ended up getting new ones.

This is the problem with dealing with large companies. They get so many customers that if something isn't okay.. they really don't care. I try and reach out to some smaller business when I can, I've never had one steer me wrong. The best part is.. they're willing to make things right... you'll find they even go our of their way. I ended up going with customsuspension.com I got the parabolic in the front and in the back I thought long and hard what I wanted to do. Since I haul dirt, hay and lord knows what.. I had CS make them stiff, but mild in case I want to cruise too. Been three years and besides some rust they're still holding the truck up. I have to say one thing.. the ubolts they sent for the back were way too short. When I made the call they sent me free ubolts and I had them at my door in two days. There was no questions asked (thumbs up to that).
Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased a complete front and rear lift for my 93' the front springs failed and I tried to get them replaced under warranty. It was a battle that I couldn't win and really didn't want to fight. My local shop which was out business did the install and had given me a two line receipt, skyjacker lift xxxx$ and labor xxx$ no details or p/n's. I knew that they had ordered them from ATech, Summits wholesaler but that did help. I decided to try some of the custom suspension springs which I think will be fine. Attached below is a picture of the sagged 2" lift springs.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW my springs did NOT come with 5/8's bushings & sleeves and the instructions which I think I have say to leave the bushings out.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
an I miss the days that you could go into a parts store and everybody that worked there knew what they were doing. Now all they know is how to say what is the VIN?
At least he didn't ask if the truck had a manual or automatic when you told him that you need a slave cylinder!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
At least he didn't ask if the truck had a manual or automatic when you told him that you need a slave cylinder!
I had one guy try to argue about the transfer case in my 1942 ****** jeep.
apparently the book doesn't know that I have very few original parts left.

And the VIN, well He couldn't find it.