1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Skyjacker Lifts for 1st gens are a trash

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about Skyjacker springs? Read this first.

*Changed the title and will add this disclaimer. Read at least the first page don't stop after my post if you're thinking about ordering.*

I will start off by saying I ordered these springs thinking skyjacker products were some of the best mass produced leaf spring lifts available. My opinion has changed.

Skyjacker Lifts for the 1st gen diesels should not be used in these trucks they are a hack job that would probably require $5 worth of modification at the factory to turn into a quality piece. Skyjacker is likely well aware of this and after finding what to search for it seems as though their story on my major issue with them has changed over the years with no attempt at a correction. I was well aware of the fact that the springs are expected to sag in short order and quality control is low enough that many trucks will sit unlevel with a brand new set of springs but mine was riding on the bump stop and I didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks for Alcans.

What i did not expect was the cheesy and potentially(I'd say likely) frame damaging way they expect you to install the front spring into the frame. They do not have a center sleeve in the forward bushing; gas trucks with 1/2 bolts get the sleeve. When I called the tech support told me to install the polly bushings into the spring and just slide the bolt through without a center sleeve. Then torque the 5/8 fine thread grade 8(I think mine were rusty they are now grade 8) to 40 ft lbs with lock-tight so they don't fall off (torque by size and grade is around 190 ft lbs). If anyone has run their spings like this and didn't egg out the mounting holes so they won't hold a proper bushing anymore I'd like to hear about it but no way will I run it like that in my truck or recommend anyone else do it in theirs.

I did modify the bushings in a way that I'm not thrilled with but should work. I've been really busy but I'll try to get a post up with pictures and better explanations in the next couple weeks.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 PM

after reading through that, it is a pretty bold statement and I should probably give a little background on myself and a few of the people I ran this setup past.

Me: ASE Master Certified with quite a bit of experience in suspension work. I also teach automotive including suspension.

People that I ran this setup by, I should note that I did not give my opinion before any of these people told me it was a bad idea, just asked questions.
and the list
Other auto mechanics
Heavy truck techs
Engineers(skyjacker claimed their engineers decided no sleeve would be fine, they have apparently met an automotive engineer)
Machinists
Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,118 Posts
I'd like to say that I've read your post before and I thought you were very knowledgeable in what you've written, so don't take these questions as a "put down"..

My question for you is WHY didn't you return the springs, and utilize a local spring shop ? Is it an issue of getting it done fast ? Is it a cost issue?

My springs were rebuilt in a day, and I had them back to me and installed in 2 days. They've had no issues since installation, and it's been a couple of years. The aftermarket springs (leaf) for our trucks are junk, unless you get the specialized ones from Alcan or another high quality manufacturer. I tried the aftermarket springs before I had my springs redone. They were absolute crap, and failed within 6 months. THere are quite a few threads about this on these boards, as I'm sure you know.

The Model 60-axle has a torque spec for the front pivot bolt of 100 Ft Lbs for our trucks, U bolts are 95ft lbs, and the rear shackles are 80 ft lbs. IIRC the bolt in the front spring perch is I believe a grade 5 5/8" fine thread bolt. I'll check it later today to see, but from the chart listed below, it would make sense, as it's no where near 180 ft lbs of torque on the bolt. It's my understanding that a gr 8 bolt, because of it's hardness would shear off in an impact, vs bending like a Gr 5 would. Again, I'll check the head of my front spring pivot bolt to see what came in there from the factory.

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...ed-Torque.aspx
Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be using a stover nut.

Did you measure the bore of spring eye bushing? If so what is it? Evidently you managed to insert a sleeve, or what was the mod? You were a bit vague.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,634 Posts
I have use Skyjacker springs for 15 years on MANY Powerwagons, and Power Rams.

Are they the best, no, are they pretty good, yes.

I just installed one replacement leaf spring, as one was sagging on the front driver side, after 9 YEARS on my crew cab.

They send me bushings AND the center sleeves.
They have bushing sized for the gassers and the diesel sized bolts, sealed in a bag, so I don't understand the tech telling you the diesel has no sleeves….
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
They have bushing sized for the gassers and the diesel sized bolts, sealed in a bag, so I don't understand the tech telling you the diesel has no sleeves….
Skyjoker has had problems for years with the diesel springs. When you order springs. It doesn't matter if you tell them 5/8" spring eyes. They will send you 1/2" bushing. When you call the tech dumby department. They tell you to run it without the steel sleeves. When you challenge them they say their books only show 1/2" bushings. We don't offer 5/8" bushings. Someone changed out your truck. BS

They have known for years Dodge changed to a 5/8's front spring eyes around 91.5. Do a search around any website with a 1st gen section. You will find the same complaint back for a couple of decades. They have not addressed the issues or tried to correct customer complaints.

BTDT with skyjoker

Jingle over on RCcentral can help you with a 5/8's spring eye bushing setup.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 AM

I deal with National Wheel and Tire to get my Skyjacker parts.
I asked for a bushing kit for my springs they came with both sized bushings AND sleeves.

Originally Posted by Philip
Skyjoker has had problems for years with the diesel springs. When you order springs. It doesn't matter if you tell them 5/8" spring eyes. They will send you 1/2" bushing. When you call the tech dumby department. They tell you to run it without the steel sleeves. When you challenge them they say their books only show 1/2" bushings. We don't offer 5/8" bushings. Someone changed out your truck. BS

They have known for years Dodge changed to a 5/8's front spring eyes around 91.5. Do a search around any website with a 1st gen section. You will find the same complaint back for a couple of decades. They have not addressed the issues or tried to correct customer complaints.

BTDT with skyjoker

Jingle over on RCcentral can help you with a 5/8's spring eye bushing setup.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Your probably the only person in the last decade to get the correct bushings. I didn't and after repeated calls to the same worthless tech person. I found about Jingle and used his kit.

Skyjoker is lucky they weren't a couple of states closer to me. I would have been there in person.

When I ordered my springs it was written on the order 5/8" front spring eye bushings.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Mine came with 5/8 sleeve too. Order mine from Rocky Mountain Suspension
Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I've ordered from Rocky Mountain suspension and got 5/8 bushings and sleeves
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Funny, ever time I order a set of Skyjacker springs from N.T.W., over the past 15 years, they ask me about what sized bushing I need for my '72-'93 Dodge I am working on at the time…….

Originally Posted by Philip
Your probably the only person in the last decade to get the correct bushings. I didn't and after repeated calls to the same worthless tech person. I found about Jingle and used his kit.

Skyjoker is lucky they weren't a couple of states closer to me. I would have been there in person.

When I ordered my springs it was written on the order 5/8" front spring eye bushings.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
His name is Jungle.
He makes good stuff
On ramchargercentral.com
Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseybud
His name is Jungle.
He makes good stuff
On ramchargercentral.com
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Oh, Jungles stuff it sweet, no doubt.
If you can get a good part jockey, the Skyjacker bushing and sleeve parts ARE out there and available for the diesel trucks.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Oh, Jungles stuff it sweet, no doubt.
If you can get a good part jockey, the Skyjacker bushing and sleeve parts ARE out there and available for the diesel trucks.
an I miss the days that you could go into a parts store and everybody that worked there knew what they were doing. Now all they know is how to say what is the VIN?

Quick Reply: Skyjacker Lifts for 1st gens are a trash