1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

skyjacker leaf question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skyjacker leaf question

All,
I am getting my 93 ready for a trip in August. Last fall I installed the 2.5" Skyjacker front leaf springs on my truck. I have a little bit of a wander on the front drivers side wheel. Do I need to replace my stock pitman arm, with a Skyjacker 2" dropped arm? I know some on this list have.

I know some of my wander issue is due to front end alignment. I replaced my front end tie rod ball joints; last fall as well, and haven't dialed in the toe setting. I rebuilt the king pins on the front D60 at this time also.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 AM

How worn are the tires? Even after replacing what you have if the tires had taken a beating previously they will still act nutty. BTDT. How about the steering box/ coupler? I had a fairly beat front end and by swapping tires and fixing the coupler it made a big difference.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by broncobilly
Last fall I installed the 2.5" Skyjacker front leaf springs on my truck.
I am interested in knowing the quality and function of the 2.5" Skyjacker front leaf spring kit. How much is this kit and whats the part#? Is the leaf spring quality as good as the stock springs? Does the kit level out the front or just simply give a better ride quality over stock?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Powerram,
The tire currently on my 93 came off a mid 90's Ford 3/4 ton van. I bought the nice Alcoa rims off a guy on Ebay, and the tires were on them then. They are Cooper radials (E rated), with about 60% tread life. The tires are about the same size (height) as the ones I took off (about 33" diameter). The width of the F series van tires are a little narrower, than the tires which were previously on the truck. I am estimating the F series Cooper's to be about 1" to 1/2" narrower. Like I mentioned; I need to adjust for proper toe setting. I am just wondering if I should order up the 2" dropped pitman arm from Skyjacker?

My truck is at my parent's place 80mi north of me, or I would just adjust the toe setting, and see if that did it. So; I want to have my tracks covered, just in case I need to install the 2" dropped pitman arm. I guess I could always return the unused pitman arm to Skyjacker, in the event I don't need it. Just hate to loose $ on shipping, which is sky high right now!!!!!!

To the questioner: The Skyjacker seems to be well made. From my limited seat time after initial install, the ride quality is much less brutal in the front. That was why I swapped out the stock factory leafs. I believe I paid $425 or so with shipping, back 1 year ago.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM

Powerram,
I forgot to add; I checked the steering box on the frame, and it was tight. The PO installed a Borgenson steering shaft, which is a little loose. I believe the rag joint is shot? The steering box has the famous Dodge leak. I have a seal kit for that; and have heard you can fix it, with the box still on the frame? This leak is where the steering shaft attaches to the box.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by broncobilly
To the questioner: The Skyjacker seems to be well made. From my limited seat time after initial install, the ride quality is much less brutal in the front. That was why I swapped out the stock factory leafs. I believe I paid $425 or so with shipping, back 1 year ago.
Hehe, sorry about all the questions I threw at ya at one time. I appreciate you answering them.