1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Skipping a tooth vs bumping to the head

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
Scheid 6x.016" EDMs.
That makes sense from what I've been told then... big injectors need timing to run right...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question No intention of hijacking this thread.

My truck is bone stock and for the moment I plan to keep it that way. But I am interested in increasing my fuel mileage, which I understand can be accomplished by bumping the timing. (I realize a better torque converter would help as well but that's a lot of money.)

Can someone explain to me the risks/rewards in bumping the timing? I mainly run empty in traffic, but periodically I tow a 7,000 pound trailer 150 miles through the north Georgia mountains and I have been known to load two tons of riprap in the bed and drive 30 miles.

TIA
Old 03-31-2010, 04:09 PM

Is there a write up anywhere on jumping a tooth? I figure you have to pull the gear cover so it'd be a good time to kill my KDP as well.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 PM

James: A 1/8" bump in timing is something all our truck will benefit from, even stock.

ZSkibo: Yes you have to pull the timing cover to take the gear off. Perfect opportunity to Kill you KDP and case bolts and front main seal as well. Leave the pump bolted to the case, and take off the retaining nut and washers. You'll have to jack the gear off or pull it with a gear puller. The bolts holding your intake horn to the grid heater are the right thread. I jacked mine off using a flat peice of steel with 2 holes drilled in them the same distance as the threaded holes on the gear. I then placed the bolts through this peice of steel and used a socket as a spacer to push on the shaft (I put the nut on the end so I didn't goof up the threads). Turn each bolt equally and it will pull the gear off the shaft. Rotate the gear Clockwise when facing the front of the engine (If I'm thinking correctly here). You'll have to turn the pump over to get it to line up the key way. It would probably be easier if you loosened the pump and took off the injection lines for all this.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by james1
My truck is bone stock and for the moment I plan to keep it that way. But I am interested in increasing my fuel mileage, which I understand can be accomplished by bumping the timing. (I realize a better torque converter would help as well but that's a lot of money.)

Can someone explain to me the risks/rewards in bumping the timing? I mainly run empty in traffic, but periodically I tow a 7,000 pound trailer 150 miles through the north Georgia mountains and I have been known to load two tons of riprap in the bed and drive 30 miles.

TIA
More timing will start the combustion process earlier, and create more cylinder pressure with the same amount of fuel, often giving more horsepower. This can be a big deal for fuel efficiency
since a small increase in horsepower can make a big difference just driving down the road. The only downside is it might rattle a bit in the morning.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JQmile
How much more power do you reckon you made with the jump?
A little under 20 HP. I was not able to go much further with the timing before the engine started surging under cruising conditions.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by JQmile
More timing will start the combustion process earlier, and create more cylinder pressure with the same amount of fuel, often giving more horsepower. This can be a big deal for fuel efficiency
since a small increase in horsepower can make a big difference just driving down the road. The only downside is it might rattle a bit in the morning.
So I'm not risking any damage with this additional cylinder pressure -- even when towing a load up a mountain?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM

So I'm not risking any damage with this additional cylinder pressure -- even when towing a load up a mountain?
Especially with a stock truck hauling just a 7,000lb trailer
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Don't lug the engine down with lots of timing.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
True. You'll hear when its not happy too.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
Why is that?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Peak cylinder pressure is higher at low RPM. Burn time is relatively constant, so the lower the RPM, the lower in the cylinder the piston is when the fuel starts to burn.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 PM

basically pre-ignition correct?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Well, you can't have that on a diesel, but sort of.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dzl_damon
basically pre-ignition correct?

A lot of load (timing, boost goes up, etc) and low rpm makes cylinder pressure go through the roof. Diesel are only so strong, even though they're a lot more robust than gas engines.

I talked to KTA about this, and he said bumping it to the head was about 20-22-ish last time he checked which is plenty for me.

Quick Reply: Skipping a tooth vs bumping to the head