1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'm going to go back to one battery, and buy one like the Napa one in my link above, or a similar one from Costco if they carry one. IIRC, they're carrying Interstate brand now? The reserve capacity on the Napa sounds decent at 195 minutes, and it's definitely a better battery than these rigs came with originally! I bought my old Optimas at Costco about 7 years ago, which must be back when they were still well made.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the Optimas from Costco back then. Got 3-1/2 years in this climate. Yes, they went with the Interstates now. I just bought 2 group 65's from them last month for mine. Finally finished making all my new cables and alternator upgrade.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
I have always had good longevity with Optimas, 6-7 years. I went with the Sears Exide because it really gets good reviews across the board. I has really worked good in the old girl...Mark
Old 02-01-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RamDodgeSam
Mike-e, I clicked on one of your pictures to try to make it bigger to read the CCA and it took me to the rest of your photos. I hadn't noticed you're from SF but saw a picture of the street and thought, dang that looks like SF ... well it makes sense now. what part? and also what CCA are those two batteries?
Richmond Dist.
Sam I would have told you that these are dual 800's but I looked at my original photo and zoomed in and I see one is an 800, and the other is a 690.
Both are Group 34R. I don't know how I screwed that up. I know I was looking at the 2 800's on the shelf, but I must have picked up a different one when I actually carried them to the counter.
Oh well. They've been in there for over a year now.
These are Rayovac I got from Batteries Plus. The polarity is reversed so I could have the existing cables reach the terminals.

Originally Posted by Rons red Ram
Those 2 original cables look like they passed the usable life about 4 years ago.
4 years ago! I think longer ago than that.
I looked at getting new ones made, but I wasn't sure how to get the extra little cables that come off made.
If you've got a suggestion I'm all about getting some new ones.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Mick-e
Richmond Dist.
Sam I would have told you that these are dual 800's but I looked at my original photo and zoomed in and I see one is an 800, and the other is a 690.
Both are Group 34R. I don't know how I screwed that up. I know I was looking at the 2 800's on the shelf, but I must have picked up a different one when I actually carried them to the counter.
Oh well. They've been in there for over a year now.
These are Rayovac I got from Batteries Plus. The polarity is reversed so I could have the existing cables reach the terminals.

4 years ago! I think longer ago than that.
I looked at getting new ones made, but I wasn't sure how to get the extra little cables that come off made.
If you've got a suggestion I'm all about getting some new ones.
Make cables with stud connector (ring) ends. Use military battery terminals. Make additional cables with ring ends and stack up as deep as needed/desired.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dual (Optima) batteries in my truck. I use it to tow a travel trailer, and when boon docking sometimes use one truck battery to supplement the two battery bank in the trailer.
I have an isolation solenoid that takes one of the truck batteries out-of circuit to insure I have a full battery for starting the truck.
Having said that, if I didn't really need two batteries, I'd go with one. It's simpler and less expensive.
Jack Dancoe
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (01-22-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 PM

Below are some pictures of my duals.
I was having a really hard time finding a Group31 battery with the correct amount of CCA. While Napa listed that high capacity CCA battery when I ordered it and went to pick it up it was not the same one.
Same part # not the same battery.
I ended going the dual route with 2 less expensive batteries.
My logic being that if they died on me while I was traveling I could buy 2 batteries that would work at a gas station or Wallmart and make it work.
Good luck finding a 1000cca on the shelf at the Kum-N-Go.

Update 01/20/17
I wanted to update this thread. I manged to kill my batteries again. This time I left the key in the ignition in the on position because I was testing something, and my f@cking buzzer has stopped working so I just got out. 3 days later I went to leave, and saw the keys. d@mn another 2 batteries down the drain.
Well I was having a hard time finding 2 matching 34R's, but since the original posting I finally updated my sad and tired battery cables with some new longer cables which allowed my to switch to regular 34's.
Are 2 800cca's overkill?
yes, but if you're going to kill you might as well overkill
Attached Thumbnails Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates-img_20170120_154631.jpg   Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates-img_20170120_154713.jpg   Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates-img_20170120_154746.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Update 01/20/17
I wanted to update this thread. I manged to kill my batteries again. This time I left the key in the ignition in the on position because I was testing something, and my f@cking buzzer has stopped working so I just got out. 3 days later I went to leave, and saw the keys. d@mn another 2 batteries down the drain.
Well I was having a hard time finding 2 matching 34R's, but since the original posting I finally updated my sad and tired battery cables with some new longer cables which allowed my to switch to regular 34's.
Are 2 800cca's overkill?
yes, but if you're going to kill you might as well overkill
i think it's important to note that these trucks came with 1 battery. I have a group 31 Deka battery(1100 cca) in my 93 and something like an 850cca NAPA in my 03(6bt). that group 31 has never even hesitated to start in the dead winter temps of SD.

i see no reason to have 2 batteries in these trucks unless you have a winch or other high drawing electrical system. really nothing more than 850-1000 needed for cold weather starts.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
They also came with a little turbo and crappy brakes But we still love em.
The following users liked this post:
Rug_Trucker (12-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 368 Likes on 305 Posts
I love the fact that all my 1stgen needs is a single group 31. I have military connectors and #2/0 cables. I abandoned the grids. It always starts all winter long... just takes a little throttle to catch when cold. I prefer to plug it in for freezing temps when possible.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
i think it's important to note that these trucks came with 1 battery. I have a group 31 Deka battery(1100 cca)
I would have if I could have. The problem is th G31's are not common, and when I could find one it was not 1100, but only 1000 so I refused it when I ordered it at Napa.
When I came up with my dual battery design the thought was 2 get some batteries that are easily replaceable so that if I'm on a trip and ruin the batteries I can get something at the local Walmart, or autostore.

Originally Posted by j.fonder
i see no reason to have 2 batteries in these trucks unless you have a winch or other high drawing electrical system. really nothing more than 850-1000 needed for cold weather starts.
This is absolutely true, but on occasion on a jobsite I've had to jumpstart large box trucks that have left their blinkers on all day.
It's very satisfying to see the look on peoples faces when a pick up truck can jump start a large commercial vehicle.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Make cables with stud connector (ring) ends. Use military battery terminals. Make additional cables with ring ends and stack up as deep as needed/desired.

Why not just get batteries with studs like semis use?

The problem is the G31's are not common,
And if you use stud top G31's, they are probably the MOST common battery around.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
I would have if I could have. The problem is th G31's are not common, and when I could find one it was not 1100, but only 1000 so I refused it when I ordered it at Napa
Their is no way I beleive a group 31 battery is not common, stud or post type. It is only used on nearly every tractor, skid steer, gen set, medium duty and up truck, and almost every piece of construction equipment that has a starter on it. The studed version could be slightly less common than post type in a select area of the planet but they also make an adapter to use on standard post batteries to utilize the stud style cables. The studed version is by far less maintenance than a post type in any climate.

I cannot image a part of the USA that doesn't have at minimum half of the above listed equipment in there area of responsibility. If your parts guy told you this I have to beleive he needs some training.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Single battery here year round with a winch.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Morning fellas... I realize the thread is addressing dual batteries in a MILD climate... I live apx. 10 hrs north of the Montana border in Alberta Canada... currently my piece does not have a working ECM so my grid heaters are not working either (I know I can put them on a momentary switch... just haven't gone that route yet) ... I do plug the block heater in when it is below 0C because of the aforementioned non working grid heaters... my single group 31 NAPA battery is about 6 yrs old and cranks my piece over no problem every time!!!

EXCEPT once... couple of weeks ago it was bitter cold (around -30C) ... all I could find at work was a mile long pencil thin extension cord to plug her in with ... at quitting time I tried to start her up and she cranked but no go ... I mean almost there coughing and chugging but no start ... yes, I was not drawing enough juice (amps. or voltage or current or whatever) through the long ext. cord ... the battery finally drained so I threw the HD battery charger on her and 20min latter hit her started ...

I'm SURE if I'd had more juice from a newer battery or DUAL batteries there would have been no problems ... I'm going the dual battery route when my single finally gives up the ghost...

For a mild climate with functional grid heaters in a relatively stock truck I can see no need for anything more than a single battery with 1000CA apx.

This is not based on decades of mechanical wisdom... I'm still new to diesels and turning wrenches... just from my real world experience up here in the great white north

SD

Quick Reply: Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates