1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

SilverStar Sorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a set of Silverstars (H6054) in my wife's Cherokee for over two years with no issues.. Strange we have not had any problems with em.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
My son also had trouble with the Silver Star bulbs in his Colorado pickup. His truck is bone stock. If 14 volts is too much then I won't waste my money on them anymore. I think that is a ridiculous cop out for inadequate engineering. As for the Hella conversions, time will tell. They should be here sometime next week.

I once had a TR4 and installed Marchelle Conversions. They were the best lights I ever had. Unfortunately I let them go with the third vehicle I had put them on because they were the round 7" instead of the rectangular.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through 4 of the SilverStars in about 3 months after I did the headlight relay mod. Loved the light they put out, but once they both died around midnight in the rain on me, I bought some "bright-white"s from Wally-world and wont use the SilverStars again..
Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
My dad bought this truck new and the OEM Wagners lasted about 15 years. Now I seem to go through one Silverstar approximately every eight months -- and I had this problem both before and after I relayed the headlamps. I do shorten the life somewhat by running my headlights during the daytime.

But like Jim Lane, I'm continuing to run the Silverstars because they are so much better than any alternative I've yet found (and I just curse when they fail).
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Chapter President

The replacement buckets and ugrading to HIDs is the ticket. No crazy rewire to do. It takes the load off the stock headlight switch since it only powers a relay now. HID kits come with there own harness, you just mount two ballasts, power and ground. They are all plug and play installation. I went thru several sets of silverstars, higher wattage bulbs and now that I have HIDs, I am the happiest.

Read here for what all I

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t189530.html

Its on my second gen but most it applies to first gen.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 PM

hid's are amazing i will never go back to regular lights they are amazing
Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Muted User

It must be the stock wiring, because the Silverstars I installed in my rig back in July '07 are still burning bright today. And they throw out a much nicer light pattern than the HIDs in my wife's Z71. I lit up the trail across the refuge Friday night on my way to the camp (and lit up a couple nice does caught off guard in the road.)
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM

I put the Hella 9004 replacements in the housing is glass and the bulbs are easy to come by cheap plus with the housing being glass I can upgrade to the HID later . I paid 100 buck Canadian for the bulbs and the housing
I didn't buy from this site this is showing the light only http://www.autobarn.net/heleurhal20h.html
Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 PM

these are the H4 alternative
http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/prod...l.asp?prod=171
half way down page check the high low on these I e mailed the company and they are sold in Canada so more than likely in the Usa to
Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 PM

hella H4s!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK
hella H4s!!!!
Just 9004 bulb style the sec genners have the same mount. they are a replacement for the seal beam. you access them through the back of the lenses. basically if a rock hits the lens you don't loose the seal beam. and like i posted you can upgrade to the HID the Hella and the Bosch are glass so they take the heat better google H4 light

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ns=1&q=h4+bulb
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 911stgen
hid's are amazing i will never go back to regular lights they are amazing
Me and my good friend did the headlight relay conversion on our 1st gens. The results are awesome!!! I did Silverstars on my 93' and my buddy did HID's on his 91.5 Ram. The Silverstars are sweet!!!! I am really happy with the light output! The HID's turned out great on my friend's 91.5 and are super bright! The only issue he has is the inability to fine tune the beam direction. The HID's put out a scattered light pattern. I guess this is just the way they are. I just put the 1st set of Silverstars in my 93' 2 weeks ago. I'm not looking forward to changing the headlights out a few months down the road.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by haloman
The replacement buckets and ugrading to HIDs is the ticket. No crazy rewire to do. It takes the load off the stock headlight switch since it only powers a relay now. HID kits come with their own harness, you just mount two ballasts, power and ground. They are all plug and play installation.

Its on my second gen but most it applies to first gen.

On the Philips website I read about an HID replacement kit for our 6054 sealed beam headlamps. It seems that when one replaces a dual-filament bulb (such as the 6054) with HID, the choice is either high-beam or low-beam but not both. How does one get HIDs on a First Gen with both high and low beams?

Thanks,
Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Muted User

Let me throw another question into the mix. When I was working in Iraq, many of the HUMVEEs that had been recently rebuilt all had what appeared to be either HID or multiple LED headlights. They looked like direct replacements - same size just different configuration. The top half illuminated for low beam and the bottom half came on for high beam. Does anyone have a clue what these lights are and if there is a similar replacement for our trucks?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The Marchell ( not real sure how it is correctly spelled) conversion lights from the 1970's were similar to that in Halogen. The bottom was the high beam spot light and the upper section was indirect reflected low beam. Two seperate bulbs in one seven inch round housing. They were not DOT approved, if such a thing existed back then but, they were approved in Europe. I got mine from a Sport Car speed shop in Newport News, VA in 1975.

Quick Reply: SilverStar Sorrow