1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Silverstar headlights and relays comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Even trucks that old have "DTR" lights? How did dodge do that in 93 if you don't mind me asking? just wire the headlights to a hot all the time?
I believe they were factory on all vehicles in Canada starting 1990.
There's a little black box module on the right inner fender with like 8 wires running to it.The DTR's are a weak high beam.
When me VSS goes out I hit the module with my fist and the speedo starts working again.Kinda funny actually.

Originally Posted by torquefan
It's pretty easy to disable the DRLs. Simply unplug the module, then you need to jump two pins together to allow your high beam indicator to work.
I like having the DTR lights working.Call me foolish but I like whan everything works like it should and even better when it can be upgraded like installing the relays.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I see no reason why having the Canadian day-time lights would hinder doing the relay modification in the normal American fashion.

All the modifications happen between the old head-light plugs and the new ones; no part of the switch should change what goes on with the daytime set-up; at least that is my take on it.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The DRL module runs the high beams at reduced voltage. You can't just do the relays like normal on a DRL truck. It would require some extra wiring but I think it can be done. I'll have to pore over the wiring diagram some.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I do have an idea for the conversion but since I do not have access to a Canadian built version I am going by drawing only with nothing to test it on, on my version other than the relays being connected completely backwards I have to get the trigger voltage for the relay coils from the dimmer switch connector Vt & Rd/Or wires under the dash so the DRL's will remain functional when the light switch is in the off position, also the high beam indicator should not be a problem.

I seem to be getting about 6 months before the Silver Stars burn out but as I think Bear Killer had mentioned I build a regulator to drop the voltage by about 1 volt and prolong their life, I really hated to install it because it dropped the output of the lamps noticeably.
Some of the factors that effect the life of the lamps are the connections to and the condition of your battery/ alternator, if your battery is in poor condition it is not going to buffer the output of the alternator as much allowing the voltage to spike as the alternator spins faster, it will probably be more erratic with a manual trans than an auto.

But...
even at $40.00 every 6 months I think it is well worth the light output gained over the other lamps that I have tried and I have tried quite a few since I have had this truck.

I am not sure if you have ever seen this video but it shows just how bright my headlights are..

When I get some time I will try and dig out my schematic for the DRL's

Jim
Old 08-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
It is funny that the best and brightest lights on the place are the factory-original round non-halogen ones in my old 1978 Chevy; I don't ever remember replacing one and I bought the truck brand-new.
No kidding!!! My crappy little 68 valiants round REPLACEMENT headlights are better than the 91. It has to just be the construction of the reflectors inside the lights. My uncle and I are working on the headlight relays now so hopefully Ill have it done before winter... I have way to many projects.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by ebteckx
so hopefully Ill have it done before winter... I have way to many projects.

It's interesting how one's regional climate dictates whether they do projects in the summer or wait until winter.

Here in Kentucky ( an old Indian word meaning oppressive humidity ), I hold off on non-essential projects until after first-frost, which is usually around October 10.

Then, until about mid-April are my outside working months.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM

ebteckx-I feel your pain......
+35C summers,-50C (with the wind) winters aren't uncommon here.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM

lol yeah they arent actually that bad in Co, I just absolutely hate the cold... with a passion... i couldnt live back east or in the midwest where it actually gets cold. or in canada... screw that raggmann i got it easy! lol
Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Jim Lane- Just watched your video, your turn signal flasher clicks loud!! Did you modify that too?

I put the replacement headlight housings in my truck that use the H4 type bulbs, I have always run the PIIA bulbs in mine. I was on a road trip and had one of the PIIAs burn out, stopped at Wally World and bought a Silver Star to replace it. The Silver Star was not as bright and I burned up 2 of them on the rest of the trip, same night for all 3 bulbs. I found a loose ground the next day, have not lost a bulb since. The higher voltage and the extra bright bulbs seem to combine to cause a short lifespan, getting old and a little night blind is a pain, for other drivers trying to see past my lights!!

HID conversion is next!!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
It's interesting how one's regional climate dictates whether they do projects in the summer or wait until winter.

Here in Kentucky ( an old Indian word meaning oppressive humidity ), I hold off on non-essential projects until after first-frost, which is usually around October 10.

Then, until about mid-April are my outside working months.
i know exactly what you mean. I hate doing anything outside and push everything off until fall/winter.

I finally got the headlights aimed correctly (broke 2 sets of adjusters ) and man they are great now. Now i am going to have to put plow lights on relays and throw a set of silverstars in there for the up coming winter.

Does any one see a problem with running both a set of plow lights and the factory lights at the same time? Would this cause to much draw for the factory charging system? Of course i would only use the plow lights when plowing in parking lots and drives. Or should i consider beefing up the charging system? Of course the plow pump (meyers e-60) is electric too.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by archer39
Does any one see a problem with running both a set of plow lights and the factory lights at the same time? Would this cause to much draw for the factory charging system? Of course i would only use the plow lights when plowing in parking lots and drives. Or should i consider beefing up the charging system? Of course the plow pump (meyers e-60) is electric too.
An upgraded charging system is always a good thing, the OEM only gives you the minimum amount of juice needed. Even just a worked over stock style alternator and a bigger wire from the alt to the battery is a good improvement. I got a 205 amp alt. from a company called Alter Start on ebay, put a 2 ga wire from the alt to the battery, with everything running, heater, wipers, stereo, lights (stock and add ons) the lights don't dim when I use the winch now.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Why not run the plow lights on a seperate relay with a seperate rocker switch ?

There's a guy near me in Vineland that does nothing but beef up alternators and starters, MAC's electric is the name. literally you walk in his place and theres gotta be 1,000+ alternators and starters on the shelves. those 2 things are ALL he does. he beefs them up too.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Chapter President

that is the plan. I have them separate from the headlights now but they were taped into the original headlight wiring for power from the previous owner. I am going to run them on relays and mount a temporary dimmer switch on the floor for them.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by MrExtreme
Jim Lane- Just watched your video, your turn signal flasher clicks loud!! Did you modify that too?

I put the replacement headlight housings in my truck that use the H4 type bulbs, I have always run the PIIA bulbs in mine. I was on a road trip and had one of the PIIAs burn out, stopped at Wally World and bought a Silver Star to replace it. The Silver Star was not as bright and I burned up 2 of them on the rest of the trip, same night for all 3 bulbs. I found a loose ground the next day, have not lost a bulb since. The higher voltage and the extra bright bulbs seem to combine to cause a short lifespan, getting old and a little night blind is a pain, for other drivers trying to see past my lights!!

HID conversion is next!!
Sure did, I had to have a flasher that I could hear over the rumble of the engine, it is a Dietz Truck Flasher the kind used on semi tractors, you can feel it thump the floorboard when it is on but even then I forget it is on sometimes, I think it is because I tune out the sounds.

Jim
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM

With my western plow setup, it decided to have all 4 lights come on. I have no idea why.

The head light switch burned out very soon after tho

Far as headlights. Im gonna put my hella H-4's in. They make the silverstars look kinda girly in brightness.

Quick Reply: Silverstar headlights and relays comparison.