1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Silverstar headlights and relays comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silverstar headlights and relays comparison.

I just thought I would share my results from following Jim Lane's relay write up and installing silverstar headlights.

Unfortunately i did not take any pictures before the relays with the original (at least to me) headlights but they were horrible and don't know how I drove like that. But here are a few pictures. The pictures were taken with lows on and the truck not running. As you can see there was a huge improvement and anyone thinking about doing this certainly should. It is well worth the time and money.

crappy lamp with relay's
Name:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  64.2 KB

the two side by side.
Name:  silverstarcompare.png
Views: 103
Size:  605.7 KB

both silverstars
Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  86.9 KB

I need to adjust them yet tonight and go for a ride.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The previous owner of my truck did the relays & silver star lights.Let me tell you it's the best thing you can do that's not drivetrain related.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great... I love bright headlights (on my vehicle).
Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
We have had relayed lights for quite some time on several of our trucks; I went heavy-duty all the way, with big wire and lots of big GROUNDs, giving within a tenth-of-a-volt of full alternator voltage at the light-plugs.

We ran the SilverStars for a few years and LOVED THEM; we could see way over into the next county; plenty of good far-reaching light.

ALAS , the Silver-Stars cost twenty-bucks apiece; that's $40/pair, plus tax.

With the relayed power, they proved to be VERY SHORT-LIVED, like often barely three months.

Also, when one side shot, the other one would go within a couple miles, due to it REALLY getting a shot of current once the other one was gone.

Several times, I made it home with only ONE of the original four elements left burning.

Regretfully, I went back to plain old halogens and have not had a light to shoot since.

With the relayed power, the plain-jane halogens are PLENTY bright, just not quite so wonderful as the Silver-Stars.

I think I remember JIM LANE having some sort of electronic device that cures this short life problem; when I financially recuperate from the economy of the present administration, I may give that a shot.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BearKiller
We have had relayed lights for quite some time on several of our trucks; I went heavy-duty all the way, with big wire and lots of big GROUNDs, giving within a tenth-of-a-volt of full alternator voltage at the light-plugs.

We ran the SilverStars for a few years and LOVED THEM; we could see way over into the next county; plenty of good far-reaching light.

ALAS , the Silver-Stars cost twenty-bucks apiece; that's $40/pair, plus tax.

With the relayed power, they proved to be VERY SHORT-LIVED, like often barely three months.

Also, when one side shot, the other one would go within a couple miles, due to it REALLY getting a shot of current once the other one was gone.

Several times, I made it home with only ONE of the original four elements left burning.

Regretfully, I went back to plain old halogens and have not had a light to shoot since.

With the relayed power, the plain-jane halogens are PLENTY bright, just not quite so wonderful as the Silver-Stars.

I think I remember JIM LANE having some sort of electronic device that cures this short life problem; when I financially recuperate from the economy of the present administration, I may give that a shot.
yes i am aware of the short life span of the silverstars with the relays and big wiring. I don't drive my truck all that much at night (normally take the wifes car) so hopefully they will last longer. But we will see. For now i will just enjoy it untill/if they start blowing after a short period of time.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM

I am glad that you got the bugs worked out and are now no longer driving around in the dark.

After you get used to the relays and SilverStars, anything else you drive will seem like surely a bulb is shot, or it will seem like the brights are not as good as your dims.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I ran silver stars until I went through 4 of them in less than 2 weeks. I gave up on them and went with the Nighthawk lights and haven't had to replace one yet. They aren't nearly as bright but they are still much better than they were before the relays.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've never burnt out a Silverstar, but I did lose one to a flying stone about a month after installing them. That hacked me off!

I think the reason I haven't toasted any is that I didn't upgrade the grounds or run heavy gauge wire, I just relayed the lights to take the load off the switch. My headlights don't get a full 14 volts across them due to the wiring losses. It was laziness rather than a clever plan, but it seems to have worked out well.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rick 12v CTD
went with the Nighthawk lights and haven't had to replace one yet.

I never heard of the NightHawks before; who makes them ??

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
I never heard of the NightHawks before; who makes them ??

Thanks.
General Electric I believe.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Add me to the list of silverstar failures. I gave up after 2 sets and went back to stock halogens, and no problems so far.

I did use 12ga. wiring.

I attributed part of it to the harsh ride.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
I attributed part of it to the harsh ride.

It's probable that some percentage of life-span is lost to a stiff suspension, but my truck rides like a Peterbilt on air, better than most big cars, so I can't blame the ride for my SilverStar failures.

I would run them again in an instant if I could get them to last.

It is funny that the best and brightest lights on the place are the factory-original round non-halogen ones in my old 1978 Chevy; I don't ever remember replacing one and I bought the truck brand-new.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd really like to run the relays but I'm stuck with trying to figure it out because here in Canada we've got daytime running lights to deal with.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Even trucks that old have "DTR" lights? How did dodge do that in 93 if you don't mind me asking? just wire the headlights to a hot all the time?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by raggmann
I'd really like to run the relays but I'm stuck with trying to figure it out because here in Canada we've got daytime running lights to deal with.
It's pretty easy to disable the DRLs. Simply unplug the module, then you need to jump two pins together to allow your high beam indicator to work.

Quick Reply: Silverstar headlights and relays comparison.