1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Side dump exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Side dump exhaust opinions

I'm thinking about moving my exhaust up to side dump in front of the rear wheel. I'd like to get rid of that "over the rear axle" thing. For those of you who have done this, give me some feedback before I start hacking. What are the advantages/disadvantages, etc. How much louder is it, is the drone tolerable, cooler egt's, black wheels, etc.? I was thinking about using those clamps that wrap around the exhaust pipe (instead of welding). Has anyone ever used these and do they leak? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickcher
I'm thinking about moving my exhaust up to side dump in front of the rear wheel. I'd like to get rid of that "over the rear axle" thing. For those of you who have done this, give me some feedback before I start hacking. What are the advantages/disadvantages, etc. How much louder is it, is the drone tolerable, cooler egt's, black wheels, etc.? I was thinking about using those clamps that wrap around the exhaust pipe (instead of welding). Has anyone ever used these and do they leak? Thanks for the feedback.

I used to have my exhaust exit in front of the rear tire. The sound was somewhat louder, and it sounded really good. From my experience, the drone was very loud in the cab of my truck. I had it turned out with about a 2 foot piece of 4 inch pipe and then a 6 inch rolled tip. I think the drone was so bad primarily because of the 6 inch rolled tip. If you just have the exhaust pipe in 3 or 4 inch diameter then it might not be so bad. The wheel did get lots of soot which will need regular cleaning. I can't say anything about the egt's because I do not have a pyrometer. I used the wrap-around style clamps on mine and they did not leak. I say go ahead and try it out to see if you like it. If not, just put the stock section back in and you'll be back to normal. Hope this helps.

Dawson
Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
On my 93 I have a stock muff and a 4 inch pipe comming out in front of the wheel. There is no drone in the cab and is super quiet. I had a 89 once that had a 5 inch pipe with a loud muff and that one would drone in the cab at a certain rpm range. It does turn my hub cap and trim ring black but that has to do with the 6X16's. Stacks will be on soon.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 AM

I've been wondering about this too. Right now my truck just has what it came with, which is a muffler that doesn't even stick out past the back of the cab. The truck is going to carry a car on its back as well as a car on a trailer and I'm not sure what the best spot to have the exhaust exit is so they don't get sooty, but I was leaning towards in front of the rear wheels.

Actually, keeping it exiting right under the bed would probably keep the cars cleanest, but that's not gonna happen....
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinos
The truck is going to carry a car on its back as well as a car on a trailer and I'm not sure what the best spot to have the exhaust exit is so they don't get sooty, but I was leaning towards in front of the rear wheels.
That's what a turndown tip is for.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 AM

I had a side exit on my 92 a few years back, it sounded real good, but just couldn't keep that rear wheel clean. If you don't mind 1 black rim I'd say go for it.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have mine infornt of the back tire now. i think it sounds really really good with the wondows down but with the windows up its not to bad. i dont really get the drone in the cab, but i also ahve a section of flex pipe and ive been told by some that flew pipe kind of acts as a muffler.

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Banned

Location: anderson commiefornia oh ya you can keep the "change"
Originally Posted by Nathan
I had a side exit on my 92 a few years back, it sounded real good, but just couldn't keep that rear wheel clean. If you don't mind 1 black rim I'd say go for it.
i love mine 4in straight piped with 5in tip but i have found out how to keep the tire clean on stock tires set the top of the tip (if its 45* cut) even with the side of the bed that way the smoke hits the tire and underside of the bed
Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 PM

Just get black rims
DS79
Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM

mine broke where it went over the axle and I drug it home one night. i just put a 45 and a tip. My wheel doesnt get that black, but mine is pretty far up