1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Side-dump exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
sooty tire

i ran mine that way, cleaning the tire and wheel using a truck brush, no problem, the good side is running the whole exhaust outboard of the frame, i got a 36 gallon tank inside the frame where the exhaust would have been, theres room for a muffler, i went straight pipe, and it sounds goood, kudos.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once it's on, get a video and post on youtube then on here. Gotta see and hear it.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM
BHD

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts
I ran mine like that after the over the axle pipe fell off. I went from 3'' to 4" to 5". LOUD!!!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running the side-dump exhaust for a few days now. The sound is much different than having dual stacks (really loud) different than having it dump just behind the cab (less loud, a little deeper sound) to a really bassy tone due to the 6" tip. The HX40 is really loud now. LOTS of whistle. Maybe I didn't notice it before, but now all the sound is directed to one side. I can really hear everything when I pass a building or solid fence. Also, I can now see how much smoke I'm puking out, intentional or otherwise.

I think the 6" tip is proportional to the rest of the truck. I was worried about it looking puny, but it's not. I prepped and sprayed the pipe with VHT satin black header paint. Chrome would have matched better, but that would be $$$$ and it would end up being flat black anyway.

The install went great. I had to modify the 45* dump already on the truck which moved the new piece further toward the front of the truck. I eyeballed the hangar location which ended up being in the perfect spot. When everything was clamped on, the hangar matched up perfectly with an existing hole in the frame. The bolt just fit through. Talk about luck. I also ended up cutting off about 6" from the total length so it wouldn't stick out really far and look funny.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. I think I'll take it for a drive with the video camera for fun.

It wasn't very bright that day, so the pipe is a little hard to see.

Time to wash the truck and, uh, take down the Christmas lights...