1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Side-dump exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6" Side-dump exhaust

When I bought my truck a year ago, it had dual stacks on it. I drove it like that until I couldn't take the smoke-in-cab anymore. The sound was great, but after driving it for any amount of time, the smell would get to me. So one night a few months ago, I cut the stacks off, just underneath the bed. There was a 45* and a joint I left on so I could angle it down like an underbed dump. I've been running it like that since then with the intention of eventually extending it out to the side like normal. I didn't want to pay for a full 4" exhaust system, because I already have 4" to the transfer case.

I had the idea of using a small amount of pipe and having the new system dump just in front of the rear tires. I think 6" stacks look properly proportioned on these trucks, so I decided on a 6" tip. I looked up air-flo.com and bought all the stuff to do what I want.

I have some pictures of the mock-ups below. It will be painted flat black with high-temp paint. I will be welding it all on this weekend.

Adapting from 4" pipe to 5" elbow to 2'x6" tip":

My size 9.5 shoe (for scale):

My jack stands wouldn't go up high enough, so imagine the whole mess being 3-4" higher than it is in these pictures:

Will the hot exhaust have any ill effects being that close to the rear tire? that's my main concern so far. Do you think the tip sticks out too far? I can move the whole assembly further forward if I need to.

Please let me know what you think!

PS: I have a 3rd gen HE351 turbo going in the truck in a week or two- look for a writeup and impressions. I'll be going from an HX40 with an 18cm2 housing (stock injectors/pump tweaks) to an HE351 with a 9cm2 housing (60/60/9 turbo) in this NV4500 5-speed city driven truck.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM

with it being that big i dont think heat will be an issue...soot might though....lol your tire might turn black.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM

thats hot i like it

i had that on my other 93 and the rear tire kind of clouds over after awhile and people sure get ****** off bout it to lol u can uderstand yyyyyyyy
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 PM

looks good but like jet said, gonna be hard to keep that back wheel clean....
Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 PM

ran my truck like that for a while left the side of truck coverd in soot but still makes people wonder where the smoke is coming from.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope you don't use those jack stands while working under your truck!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by schamran

X2!!

not enough abc's
Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From someone who ran that way, the rear wheel and rear quarter panel WILL turn black if you don't keep after it to keep it clean.

Mine was like that but with a smaller tip until I had a RR blowout and the tire tread ripped the hangers loose and pounded my pipe flat against the pavement.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by schamran
Originally Posted by trksrfun
X2!!

not enough abc's
Cute stands huh. I used them once to keep the front end off the ground enough to change a tire, but they don't look very strong. The 5 ton floor jack I borrowed could barely lift the truck .

I'm not too worried about the wheel and panel turning black. As you can see, the truck barely gets cleaned as it is. It will probably be cleaner than when I had stacks. That would soot up both sides of the bed, the top of the cab, and the whole inside of the bed.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that style on my Dump, just like that with all the adapters and such..lol Make sure you put a good hanger on that to support it.. I didn't and the stock rusted exhaust ended up twising where it goes aroung the t-case... Youls like the sound for the first 6 months!! BTW, nice truck!!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Ace
Banned

That's basically how I did the 1st iteration of my exhaust. It was fun for awhile, but the black tire and mind-numbing drone while towing got old after awhile.

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CTD_78.jpg
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did my third gen and love it. About 80,000 miles on the setup by now.

I moved my MBRP muffler 37 inches forward and angled the exhaust at about 45 degrees out the side in front of the tire.

The sound is more raspy but not really louder and it has no affect on the tire temperature at all.

The wheel does get dirty after a while, like the rear fender used to, but oh well, I like it

Another benefit is the room you create under the truck. Plenty of room for a five gallon air tank, or horns, or whatever.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1195269428
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
That's basically how I did the 1st iteration of my exhaust. It was fun for awhile, but the black tire and mind-numbing drone while towing got old after awhile.

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CTD_78.jpg
I can't imagine the drone being worse than the dump just behind the cab I have now, or the stacks that were on before that.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Ace, what the heck is that large canister above the tip that (apparently) has fuel lines running to it?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Ace
Banned

Get the tip farther out to reduce drone. Mine was a good 2" past the plane of the tire and it was still too loud. That "large cannister" is a Gulf Coast-01 bypass filter for the lube oil. The lines are oil lines running back and forth from the engine.

Quick Reply: Side-dump exhaust