1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

She whines like a teenage girl who's had her car taken away.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
She whines like a teenage girl who's had her car taken away.

I installed the GDS 60mm compressor upgrade today and wow! More boost, cooler cruise, and a whine that you wouldn't believe.

I like it!

Now, to turn the pump up another turn!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage
I installed the GDS 60mm compressor upgrade today and wow! More boost, cooler cruise, and a whine that you wouldn't believe.

I like it!

Now, to turn the pump up another turn!
Hey wondering how much boost you now get?

After I upgraded mine and my 3" crossover I can easly push 56 PSI, but I must have ordered the muffled version because I cannot hear mine at all infact my stock turbo made more noise.

Now I am looking for a 14cm or 16cm housing to spool it up qiicker and then maybe then I can hear it.

Jim
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane

After I upgraded mine and my 3" crossover I can easly push 56 PSI, but I must have ordered the muffled version because I cannot hear mine at all infact my stock turbo made more noise.

Now I am looking for a 14cm or 16cm housing to spool it up qiicker and then maybe then I can hear it.

Jim
I wasn't pulling much of a load, so I only got it up to about 25PSI going up a grade. I've only got a 30PSI boost gauge in the truck now, but I've got a 60 I need to put in. I'll let you know when I get that all done and take it on my regular test route, where I've pegged the 30PSI gauge in the past with the 54mm compressor.

My main intent was to get past the fluttering I was getting on the 54 (turbo bark). That's definitely gone.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane

Jim
What've you got for an air cleaner? I think the BHAF is really what lets that turbo whine noticable.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim Lane has an extremely insulated cab and the nicest intake setup i've ever seen ,

The metal intake tune pipe really makes it loud
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i had the bahf i could barley hear my turbos at all then when i put my afe on they scream like a 747
Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does this mean a BHAF is quieter than an AFE? Would this be because of more restriction from the after market stuff?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage
What've you got for an air cleaner? I think the BHAF is really what lets that turbo whine noticable.
I have a K&N filter in the factory housing that I have sealed and is fed from a Ram Air scoop under the bumper, all 4" flex tubing from the scoop to the housing.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner i need to upgrade...its all coming together slowly
Old 02-08-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
the stock air box and stock intake pipe thingy is what really keeps the turbo whistle down. When I put my amsoil filter on I could finally hear it, albeit barely. When I hacked my air box up it got louder and when I removed the stock intake pipe it got even louder. When I put the he351 on it's gotten almost too loud. It screams.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Here you can see how much larger my custom flange is that the size of the stock crossover pipe, in addition to the restrictive size there is also the friction losses of the rough casting and abrupt turns.

Name:  IMG_7987.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  54.0 KB

Here is my flange installed on the grid heater, it is now a direct path into the manifold.

Name:  IMG_8007.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  57.3 KB

This is how I made my pipe, instead of bending the 3” tubing I made several cuts and then welded the sections back in at a different angle, the bender crushes down the I.D. of the pipe where it is bent so I would loose the smooth airflow.

This was my first pipe but I want to remake it so I can get it lower over the exhaust manifold as it rides in the hood insulation, I can reuse this one if I weld a small section onto the right side and trim down the left side and simply rotate the turbo housing.

Name:  IMG_8667.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  84.1 KB

Here is a short video clip of ride in my truck before I upgraded the turbo, notice the Boost Gauge readings and sound levels inside the cab.

Ok now here is another ride after the upgrade that includes the crossover pipe, the sound level is about the same if not quieter, but keep an eye on the Boost pressure.

I did turn in the fuel screw about 2 1/2 turns but I have since turned it back out, here I am controlling the boost with the throttle position, If I were to at anytime go WOT the pointer would be buried at the bottom to the gauge.

Here again but around town, I cannot tell you what it sounds like from the outside but I do know that wherever I go people are always looking at me and say it’s loud but I think they are talking about the clatter of the engine though.

When I come home especially at night from work the neighbors say it is either Jim or a Fire Truck is on the street.

Jim
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

When I had the ASA on my truck the turbo screamed it was cool for a while then I got tired of only hearing the turbo so I sold the ASA and put a modified stock airbox back on with an aFe pro guard 7 and I couldn't hear the turbo at all so I put a piece of 4" pipe in between the box and turbo and now I can hear it just enough.

What I think is killin your sound Jim is the ram air thing you fabbed together along with the stock box. Just my .02
Old 02-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
When I had the ASA on my truck the turbo screamed it was cool for a while then I got tired of only hearing the turbo so I sold the ASA and put a modified stock airbox back on with an aFe pro guard 7 and I couldn't hear the turbo at all so I put a piece of 4" pipe in between the box and turbo and now I can hear it just enough.

What I think is killin your sound Jim is the ram air thing you fabbed together along with the stock box. Just my .02

That was my thinking also but when I disconnect the 4" flex tube from the air scoop to the inlet of air box it is back to stock and I still cannot hear the whine, a WOT pass through an underpass or a tunnel with both windows open has a lot of mechanical sounds and a good amount of exhaust noise but I still cannot hear the turbo.

There are some nice P-Strokes and D-Max’s around here that must have 12cm turbos because they scream right off an idle.

Do you still have the insulating blanket under your hood?
Jim
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

No the insulation is long gone.

Did You have the GDS or HTT setup?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
No the insulation is long gone.

Did You have the GDS or HTT setup?

I have the GDS upgrade,
The insulating blanket and all of the insulation on both sides of the firewall make the cab livable, I have known kids that have removed it on 6.2’s and the truck will rattle you to death.

Also the heat from the turbo and down pipe will discolor the paint if you have a nice job.

Jim

Quick Reply: She whines like a teenage girl who's had her car taken away.