1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

She sighed and said "Why not?" . . ..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:54 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Question She sighed and said "Why not?" . . ..

So it's time to rebuild the transmission. I can't justify the expense of a store-bought unit so I'll be doing the work myself.

I'm thinking the usual stuff: tighter torque converter, gaskets, seals, perhaps new bushings, etc.

I see SunCoast offers an intermediate upgrade kit as well as a billet input shaft and hub (for the non-lockup A518).

Which leads me to my question: Aside from the typical rebuild stuff, what other internal transmission components should I look at from a preventative service/replacement point of view?

Realistically, I don't work the truck. My latest form of pleasure is from handing the behinds to a lot of the fellas in their sports cars down at the local track. So it's the hard, quick loads I'm dealing with. In my mind, I'm shooting for 350 or so HP ultimately.

Thanks folks.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you shouldn't need the billet input for a non lockup TC.
Call DTT and get all the small billet pieces. Front Servo, Accumulator, 3rd gear piston, 2nd gear band strut, anchor and apply lever.

They can even set you up with an expanded shift kit for yours.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:33 PM

What problems are you having? IS it broken or you trying to do it before it's gone? You going to KENTUCKY?
TOMMY
Old 06-03-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
Well you shouldn't need the billet input for a non lockup TC.
Call DTT and get all the small billet pieces. Front Servo, Accumulator, 3rd gear piston, 2nd gear band strut, anchor and apply lever.

They can even set you up with an expanded shift kit for yours.
It's been suggested to me that 350hp is the point where one should strongly consider better than OEM parts here and there though I confess I don't know what that's really based on.
"Front Servo, Accumulator, 3rd gear piston, 2nd gear band strut, anchor and apply lever." I've seen references to those components in the various trans shop websites. Expanded shift kit? I'm currently running the full TransGo kit.

Originally Posted by TOMTOM
What problems are you having? IS it broken or you trying to do it before it's gone? You going to KENTUCKY?
TOMMY
At the moment, the trans is just fine.

BUT!

- I've read here and elsewhere the OEM trans is reliable with up to perhaps an additional 60 or so horse power. I'm 100 over OEM now and plan on adding another 100.

- The OEM torque converter . . . . . well . . . .. . sucks.

- I'm afraid the drag-racing bug bit me before I could shoo it away.

Thanks for the replies/suggestions folks, keep them coming.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would throw a good TC in there and run it.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I would throw a good TC in there and run it.
And that my friend is not out of the equation.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't forget the flexplate.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:42 PM

I would recommend a converter also, get one better than the bottom end offerings, something in the $500-up range, I just did the TCI and wish I would have spent a bit more. If you shop around you can get a heckuva deal on name brand parts and Chrysler makes some good trans parts too.

I would also recommend checking the pressures in your current trans. You'll find internal deficiency if there are any (internal leakage etc) This may help you decide to spend on things like a four ring accumulator, upgrade servo and/or accum. or servo sleeve kit etc. And I would recommend the OEM 4.2 apply lever & get a HD strut, maximize clutch packs, VB reprogram kit. Not sure the DTT stuff would be necessary unless you really get up there in HP/TQ.

For not much more you can get a Red Eagle/Kolene master kit and find and use a teflon sealing ring kit as well.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Hence the reason for the updated internals I suggested, as internal leaks are well known on these trannys. And as was also mentioned a good TC, like the DTT(yeah is costs more) makes it an awesome setup for what you want.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 PM

Since I'm not loaded I don't opt for spending money if I don't need to...

If you pressure test the trans now, you'll be money ahead by not spending it where it doesn't need it. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Spending several hundred on DTT components is a great idea if your working with a known internal leaker that your going to pound with 350plus HP. I'll stick with OEM for some and the better than OEM aftermarket for other stuff. Fairbanks Superior, Sonex, TransGo etc.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
hows this plan?

I say take the $$ that would /was going towards the tranny and use it towards a twins setup. Use the tranny till it drops, then, well , you NEED to get a tranny at that point. Needing is different than wanting, and NEEDING is more acceptable.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned

I HATE my suncoast tranny at this point. Its going back for its 3rd rebuild in 1.5 years (no reverse, again). Yeah, not happy at all. How can I hurt the tranny with 288 hp.

Very very very dissapointed for my $4,000 investment.

PS Suncoast fix my tranny (once and for all) so I can stop talking trash about it
Old 06-04-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
might want to ck hese folks out, they have alot of upgrade internal parts, when I finally get around to doing mine I`ll prob use some of their stuff..
http://www.sonnax.com/part_finder.ph...628&go=GO&pl=3
Oh, and best of luck with the trans, I for one will be waiting to see how it turns out!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ruquik
I HATE my suncoast tranny at this point. Its going back for its 3rd rebuild in 1.5 years (no reverse, again). Yeah, not happy at all. How can I hurt the tranny with 288 hp.

Very very very dissapointed for my $4,000 investment.

PS Suncoast fix my tranny (once and for all) so I can stop talking trash about it
i'm amazed that you're having troubles with a suncoast trans, i had a SC5 in my duramax and pushed 502rwhp 1050 rwtq through it every day and never had any issues with it for over 50k miles ( then sold the truck due to lack of $$)
Old 06-04-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh-oh! Do I feel another write-up coming on?

Jon

Quick Reply: She sighed and said "Why not?" . . ..