1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

"Shadow painted" my grille inserts red

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Shadow painted" my grille inserts red

Well since my truck has been sittin by the shop turboless for 3 weeks now, I've gotten a little bored and done a few things to it while I've got it down. I am porting my exhaust manifold while i don't have a turbo on there, I tinted my windows, and I pulled the grille off and pulled the intercooler out and cleaned out my intercooler, my AC condenser and my radiator. So hopefully this thing runs a lot cooler once i get it back together since it will have a clean intercooler, radiator, and an "opened up manifold" and the new he351 once i get it. And while i had the grille off, I pulled out the grille inserts and decided to paint the inside of them red, I didn't want to paint the whole thing red cuz i thought it would just be too much, so after some cleaning and a lot of taping, I got some Krylon plastic red paint and painted them, I pulled the tape off and put them back in the grille and wow I really like the way it looks! I was really curious what it would look like and I really like how it looks, Just painting the shadowed part red mixes well with the black edges. Here is some pics, what do ya think?

Name:  grille015.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  112.0 KB
And i know i am missing my DODGE letters on the grille, I need to get some new ones and i think i will paint those red and put them on when i get them.
Name:  grille014.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  85.0 KB
oh and I also cut a rectangular hole right below the turn signal while i had the grille off, the hole will hopefully bring in a little more air to my ASA intake. There is a little plastic scoop right behind the hole that used to hook into the stock intake, but i left it in and it directs the air right to the ASA intake filter, Hopefully it helps out gettin some more air.

Sorry these aren't the best pics, but i can't really move my truck anywhere else right now and the truck has 3 weeks of dust on it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM

not a bad idea- i left the plastic scoop in too when i put the asa on

cant wait to hear how the he351 works out

and i do like the red- it goes with the "cummins turbo diesel" logo on the fender
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks awesome! your truck is pretty clean,

I agree, i think all red would of been too much. you should go to the junkyard and pull some dodge letters off trucks.

oh and your rear tires are bald. lol

sweet dune buggy too
Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Looks awesome! your truck is pretty clean,

I agree, i think all red would of been too much. you should go to the junkyard and pull some dodge letters off trucks.

oh and your rear tires are bald. lol

sweet dune buggy too
thanks, ha ha there isn't any old dodges in the junkyards around where i live, they're all old chevys. The old dodges around here are still gettin beat to crap on the farms. Yeah the bald tires on the rear are my old tires, I had some extra rims so I put my old ones on the back and I got my other two newer ones on rims in the back sittin underneath the toolbox. I'm tryin to save my treads! I'll put the newer ones back on in the winter and when i need them for muddin and stuff, Its nice to have these old bald one on cuz i can roast them all the time and not care.
Yeah the VW buggy is pretty fun, that has pretty much been my wheels since my truck has been down.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
oh and I also cut a rectangular hole right below the turn signal while i had the grille off, the hole will hopefully bring in a little more air to my ASA intake. There is a little plastic scoop right behind the hole that used to hook into the stock intake, but i left it in and it directs the air right to the ASA intake filter, Hopefully it helps out gettin some more air.

Sorry these aren't the best pics, but i can't really move my truck anywhere else right now and the truck has 3 weeks of dust on it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you took my mod! It's about time someone follwed my idea!(besides ACE) You cut yours out exactly where I cut mine, and the shape is almost identical. Pull that panel out and clean up the left side(square it out) w/ tin snips and trim off the edges w/ that black door edge molding(don't forget to miter the corners). After you install the molding, on the backside run some black rtv all along the edges and corners real thick. The molding will stay put against wind, rain, pressure washers, etc. and the opening will look like it was meant to be there. good job.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM

did it help any on gettin more air? or can you not really tell?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
seems like at 1st it did, especially w/ a clean filter. It has been so long, guess I am used to it. Idid the same w/ my 7.3 psd and the digital read out that shows mpg's went up a round 1.5 mpg's a week till it topped out at 3 mpg's. So that alone tells me more air is good.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 AM

looks sweet! i'd do some more taping and re-paint the black just to make it look even sharper! it wouldnt make much of a difference your rig is awsome!