1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Sell the 4x4 for a 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sell the 4x4 for a 2wd?

I need some direction. I have a nice 91 W250 that needs nothing. However, it is so stiff that my wife and I get a headache if we travel in it for 2-3 hundred miles. This is what I have to pull our camper. It tows the camper great, and I get a lot of compliments on the truck. But my kidneys and back, and her head and ... well, you know, just can't take the abuse.

I know that this has been addressed before, I did a search and looked at some of the responses. Would it be worth it to spend 1000 dollars on a new suspension system, (I do not want it lifted, just more progressive), or should I sell the 4x4 for what it will bring, take that money and put it toward a 2wd extended cab, possibly a 96, or 97? I feel comfortable in the reliability of this truck, even with 215K miles on it. How do the 2nd gen 2wd trucks ride? Is it possible to get one for less than 10K with around 100K miles?
Thanks, I have been trying to make a decision for a week or two now. I just need some help in weighing my options..
Chris
Old 02-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once you lose the 4X4 you'll be in a situation where you need it.

If the truck is still in good shape I'd spend a little cash on new springs, or even an air ride system.

No sense throwing away a perfectly good 1st gen.

phox
Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second that. You should be able to pick up a Kelderman air for the rear for around $800. Cheaper than a new pickup.
Heath
Old 02-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Kelderman has kits for both the front and rear on 1st gen 4x4's. My 2wd 1 ton isn't exactly cushy either, it kicks you in the pants pretty hard over bumps. If I used it for long highway trips much I'd get the Kelderman setup for the rear.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:30 PM

In my experience the solid front axle has ALOT to do with the ride your talking about. Its great for reliability, and ease of lifting, but that ride quality is the whole reason behind most every truck going to IFS.
I'm driving an 04 2WD Dually and took the family on a 600 mile trip a couple of weeks ago, thing rides as smooth as any luxury car ever wanted to. suprises me how well the 8,000 tank will carv up the corners to!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just checked out the Kelderman website. That air suspension rear looks pretty promising. I'll bet if the original owner of me truck knew about it he wouldn't have sold it.

Denis
Old 02-22-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I am kind of biased -- I wouldn't own an independent front suspension on a truck, nor would I trade king pins for ball joints, or spindles for unit bearings, so that leaves our trucks as the last hold-out. There is so much stuff to wear out and come loose on any independent front suspension, and it is so easy to knock the alignment out, etc. Maintenance and reliability-wise it just isn't worth it to me, and in general I prefer the handiling characteristics that the stiff solid front axle give.

That said:

A later model truck will ride better, even the 4x4's. If that is what is most important to you, take some test drives, bring the wife, and feel the difference for yourself.

Putting new springs or an air ride on the front will make a big difference, though, and might be cheaper. I have never driven a pickup with an air front end, but if they have done a good job, it should ride a little better than a NEW 4x4. That would be a big investment in an old truck, though, and the outcome wouldn't really be garanteed.

I think you could find a 2WD 2nd gen in your price range.

Take a test drive, stick your head under the front end and look at all of the bushings to adjust and replace, and make your decision .

Good luck with it.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Chapter President

Got rid of a 4X4 ONCE, the friend that pulled me out never lets me live it down and that won't happen again. I can not see myself without a 4X4 again (and I don't need it much). If you are comfortable with your milage and truck keep and do the suspension mods. Buy a used one and you'll have to get comfortable with all the little things a new(used) rig brings you.

Polymers as well as metals have come along way in thirteen or so years.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:56 PM

I installed rear air bags in my 91 W250 but not for the ride. I carry 2 Quads on the deck and pull a very old and heavy 24 ft travel trailer, so I need something to level out the truck under those conditions. The improvrement in the ride was just gravy and now has me looking at the air bags for the front. As for getting rid of the 4X4, this was suggested by the wife because of the ride. On her next birthday she recieved a kidney belt and a sports bra. Havent heard any complaints since. Come to think of it, she doesent speak to me any more. Seriously she loves the REAL TRUCK ride as much as I do.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:53 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

At least test drive a 2wd drive yourself to see if it's worth the cost of a trade in. A trade in is ALWAYS gonna cost you something. I think the 2wd will act different, but it's still designed to hall a good load and will be somewhat stiff. I'll bet a Kelderman or something like that would be much cheaper than intrest or insurance on a newer vehicle.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:24 PM

i had 2 first gen cummins before i got my 97, i feel your pain. the first was a 93 3/4 ton 4x4, le ex cab[had 257 when i sold it]. i just thought it rode rough. then i bought a 92 4x4 dually reg cab[had 158k when i sold it], it would all but cripple me. the le with the bucket seats was way better than the dually with the bench. the 97 i have now is a much better truck as far as ride is concerned. i would suggest selling your truck local if it will pull good money and shop for a second gen 4x. every time i get a 2wd truck i regret it inside a month or two. i picked up my 97 4x4 excab dually with 199k on it for just under 10k here in texas.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:17 PM

uhhh, i'll trade my D for a W...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate all of the comments guys. I am still on the fence about all of this. I am not in a hurry to do anything, the more I think about it, the more I realizie I can take the mild abuse and if my wife doesn't like it, she doesn't have to go!(yea right!) I seriously got cracked up over the kidney belt and sports bra! Boy, I hope that one didn't end up with some paperwork on the counter and a moving truck bill!
Chris