1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Self-2WD alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the camber, the truck will pull to the side with the most negative. zero is best. just loosen the 2 bolts on the upper arm. Not the bushing bolts. The vertical bolts are slotted and can be moved in or out. Set it all to zero. and go from there. On second gens that's where I go. And usually about 1/16 to 1/8" toe in works perfect.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Anybody have any suggestions for when setting toe, to allow the wheels to move easily rather than fighting friction the concrete/asphalt? I'd like to be able to straighten my steering wheel a bit even though I just had a local shop adjust everything after I bought new tires. Usually setting the toe straightens it out.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by whiskers
On the camber, the truck will pull to the side with the most negative. zero is best. just loosen the 2 bolts on the upper arm. Not the bushing bolts. The vertical bolts are slotted and can be moved in or out. Set it all to zero. and go from there. On second gens that's where I go. And usually about 1/16 to 1/8" toe in works perfect.
1st gens don't have any "vertical" bolts. The upper arms are only held on by the pivot bolts through the bushings. These bolts have a captured eccentric cam that via rotating the bolts adjusts the camber. Anyone familiar with old Mopar rear wheel drive cars will recognize the front a-arm setup.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
Anybody have any suggestions for when setting toe, to allow the wheels to move easily rather than fighting friction the concrete/asphalt? I'd like to be able to straighten my steering wheel a bit even though I just had a local shop adjust everything after I bought new tires. Usually setting the toe straightens it out.
Jack up one or both tires, or turn the adjuster and then roll the truck back and forth.

Originally Posted by whiskers
zero is best.
Originally Posted by totalloser
Camber: set very slightly negative (in at top)
I guess the factory's fudgin it up then, because every new heavy 2wd Dodge pick-up I have seen on the lot, very noticeably, has a high amount of positive camber. And it increases as you jack it up. The camber goes negative as the suspension compresses.

You using this for road trackin or canyon carving or daily driver or work truck? Unless you're going for the first two, I'd set it as close to factory as I could, with the exception of a little extra caster, so it tracks better and turns a little sharper. My steering is plenty easy, so it would take a ton of caster to make it heavy.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I ended up copping-out and went to have it aligned this morning. The guy doing it didn't have any trouble, as I just replaced everything so none of the parts were frozen together.

I know this picture isn't too great, but this is where everything was when he started.

I was rather impressed with the technology used to adjust it. It was well worth the $50 I paid to have it done. He set the toe to dead zero, and, if I remember correctly, each tire was left with a positive .4 degree camber. Now my steering wheel is perfectly flat when I drive straight, and it handles better than it ever has. I can start too feel my steering shaft play now, though. Maybe I can get a Borgeson shaft put in soon.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM

This is one area that is definitely worth paying a pro especially on a 2wd. There isn't much to get out of adjustment on a 4wd so a good old tape measure is usually good enough on those.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM

measure point for toe-in

The truest way to get an accurate measure point for toe-in is to make a spring-loaded scriber to mark a line around the tire. Jack the tire up and spin it with the sciber running against a smooth area of the tread face. Repeat on other side.

Another trick is simply put a post-it tag on each tire opposite each other then mark a line on each with an ink pen. You can roll the vehicle ahead and back to compare measurements on front and rear of tires that way.