1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Second Gen. Seats in First Gens.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second Gen. Seats in First Gens.

Just got a second gen seat for my 93, couldn't resist the price. It's a 2000 model with dual buckets with the belts in the seat. I've heard of guys putting these seats in but never heard the results. It looks like it will fit but its gona be a little tight. Any tips on the install?

Paws
Old 11-16-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Second Gen. Seats in First Gens.

Hey Paws, any chance that you have access to another set of em? I have wanted some of them in my truck for a long time. Let me know how it goes!
Good luck,
Brian
Old 11-16-2003, 10:24 PM

Hey Brian, I do have access to another set of seats but not the deal I got. It took a long time to find a good seat at a price that didn't brake the bank. The other set I found was $700, the same thing I've got now but out of an 02. I'll let you know how the install goes, it's going to take some fab work to get these things in the right way. I'm going to put it in when I do the front end and trans in december.

Paws
Old 11-17-2003, 08:35 AM

Paws, what are you doing with your old seats? I have been looking for the factory buckets for mine but have yet to succeed. If yours are in good shape I would be happy to take them off your hands and give you some $ too. Let me know. My seats are killing me, really bad aftermarket seats the guy who owned it before put in...
Thanks,
Old 11-17-2003, 09:54 AM

I wish they were factory buckets, its a factory bench thats getting a little tired. Seat is still in good shape but needs to be restuffed on the drivers side. Thought I might as well put in a good set of buckets instead of fixing the old seat. If you still want it let me know.

Paws
Old 11-17-2003, 06:24 PM

keep us updated...what do the seats measure (depth & width) and could you list any modifications that were required?
Old 11-22-2003, 06:26 PM

Found out that those crazy second gen seats have a computer on them to controll the seat belts ???. Put a question about the computer on the second gen forum to see if any of those guys know whats going on with it. Went to the local Dodge dealer and got the wiring diagrams on it but I still need to know what I can bypass and what I can't. The width is 5' , 3" more than a 1st gen, and the depth is about 2" more than a 1st gen seat. Drawing out the mounting plates so it will fit on the 1st gen floor board now. Do you any of you want pics as it goes in?

Paws
Old 11-22-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, please, to the installation pics.

I would s---can the computer controlled seat belts? and modify the original belts to work if at all possible.

Of course, my idea of locking hubs is unbolting the drive flange and bolting an open cover back on .
Old 11-23-2003, 08:16 PM

Yeah Paws, if you can get pics up that would be great. Do you know what exactly the computer controls on the seatbelt?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:01 PM

i have also heard that ford front seats from 94-97 crew cabs will fit as well with only a slight bit of modifications to the mounts. i am going to try it as a buddy of mine has one for me off a 97
Old 11-23-2003, 09:59 PM

I went to the local dodge dealer to find out what this computer does. Apparently it controlls the lock up for the seat belts. This computer has a g-force sensor that will pick up the ammount of g's that your truck is in during braking. If the g-force is over 0.7g's the seat belts lock up. The computer will also lock up the seat belt if the truck goes into a 45 degree angle in any direction. Installing this type of seat can be done I just have to figure out what I can and cannot use in the wiring harness for the computer. I did dry fit the seat today to see if it would even fit and it does . Don't get me wrong, its tight but it will work. I havent heard about a ford seat fitting in these trucks before but I bet it would be an easier install than the one I'm looking at. I took a pic. of the seat while it was in the truck just to see if I could figure out how to get pic. on the site, so here it goes.

Paws
Old 11-24-2003, 07:08 PM

Looks great Paws!! Makes me want to put them in even more now! Did the seat just fall into the mounting holes? Or did you have to make some kind of adapter, or just drill some new holes?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:24 PM

The seats arent in yet that was just a test fit to see if they would fit in the cab. I also wanted to sketch out a mounting plan for the seats, its gona get a little interesting to say the least. So no, they are not just a bolt in add on. I'll send pics. of the mounting brackets when I get time to fab them up.

Paws
Old 11-29-2003, 12:22 AM

we want a update i'm buying a set to do the upgrade to my 93 W250 it looks sweet in thear and worth the time to do it well
Old 11-29-2003, 08:48 AM

ya that does look cool,i would be interested i the mount pics and info on the ford seat install. 8)

Quick Reply: Second Gen. Seats in First Gens.