1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Seat Belt latch

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Seat Belt latch

Does anyone know if the seat belt latch in our truck are able to be disassembled, and if so how ?

I pulled into the liquor store tonight, and tried to get out of the seat belt. Stupid latch wouldn't open for over 15 minutes of playing around with it. Finally it opened, and I was able to buy my beer...

Darn former alcoholic seatbelt latch.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
gets some wd40 in there!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
There was some reason you wern't supposed to be in the liquor store for 15 minuets, a lot of nasty stuff gets stuck in seat belt latches, I clean mine using hot soapy water, brush and compressed air then just a drop of oil on the latch with a pen type oiler.

Jim
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim is on the right track.

double cheeseburger LG fries & a diet coke with your rum gets inside latch and it gets sticky.

To repair remove SB latch soak it in some oxiclean with 180 degree water, blow out, let dry and lube with this http://boeshield.com/ do not use oil
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

I know this seems like a thread hijack and that's certainly not my intention.

Bob -- how do you suppose that Boeshield stuff would work if I sprayed it on my leaf springs?

I've tried everything on those springs, from WD-40 to chain lube to graphite Lock-ease; nothing lasts long enough.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
James

I use this stuff on my boat trailer along with many others

from there web site

"Boeshield T-9® was developed and licensed by The Boeing Company to fill their need for a superior lubricant/protectant. The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes, is designed to penetrate metal pores and dissolve minor corrosion, then leave a resilient waxy coating that lasts for many months. We began by successfully introducing Boeshield T-9® to the tough saltwater marine market for lubricating and protecting all metals."

But the truth is no lube lasts forever.

If you go to http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers-60/ or http://forums.iboats.com/forum.php they both have a truck & trailer area you'll find lots of info there
Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys..

No lubricant will help this seat belt, as when I removed it from the truck today, a piece of stainless steel spring type metal fell out of it. It's the reason why the latch isn't working any longer. Something is broken inside the latch.

BTW,

I like Fluid Film as it's made from sheep lanolin.... Great stuff, and smells like a farm....

I like farm smells......
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Talk to dodge. Back a few years ago I got my wife's 100,000 plus mile Honda seat belts warranted. It's a safety item that should never wear out under normal use. BUT when you get there don't start yelling at them, be nice and cool about it. That attitude will get you much further, and you want to talk to service not parts.

If they don't call Mark Nixon, I'm sure he has a few extras.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks

Talked to dodge, and its discontinued.

Part # L757js8

Contacted https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/, and I'm already shipped out. The guys were really great to talk to.

I found a 91 dakota with a grey interior, that has the "Improved" latch with the red button on the end. So I simply removed my belt assembly, packaged it with the "tongue" end from the dakota seat belt assembly, and when I get the part back from seatbeltplanet.com, I'll have a new webbing with the dakota tongue installed, so an easy 2 minute bolt in and I'm done.

More importantly I'll have a new web, and not the old frayed one I currently have.

In the pix, you can see the old aseembly on the bottom, and the Dakota one on top.. Much more reliable latch. The second pic shows the dakota full belt assembly which I simply cut off the tongue and included with my belt that's being fixed.

Thanks again guys !
Attached Thumbnails Seat Belt latch-dsc02424.jpg   Seat Belt latch-dsc02425.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I don't have a seat belt. I need to get mine fixed, the bolt in the floor came out
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
I don't have a seat belt. I need to get mine fixed, the bolt in the floor came out
Well, that means that any seat belt will be fine in your truck, since you'll have to modify or repair the truck anyway !

I got a slightly used Dodge Dakota seat belt that some guy cut the tongue off of this morning before I, uh, oh .... HE... sent his seatbelt out for repair. You can just tie a knot in it when you get in and untie it to get out.

Not bad for free, huh ?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Well, that means that any seat belt will be fine in your truck, since you'll have to modify or repair the truck anyway !

I got a slightly used Dodge Dakota seat belt that some guy cut the tongue off of this morning before I, uh, oh .... HE... sent his seatbelt out for repair. You can just tie a knot in it when you get in and untie it to get out.

Not bad for free, huh ?

haha, I ended up cutting the rust out last night and welding some new metal into it. About six hours of work and you can hardly notice the repair. Time to drill and tap threads in it for a bolt, would grade eight work?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
haha, I ended up cutting the rust out last night and welding some new metal into it. About six hours of work and you can hardly notice the repair. Time to drill and tap threads in it for a bolt, would grade eight work?
You need shouldered bolts. If you can't find something, let me know. I have extras from the dakota that are the same as the ones in our trucks, and I can mail it out to you. Just tell me which one you need.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM

So,

I found these guys https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/ from OK on the net. Nice guy to talk with Steve Pekrul was the sales manager there, and he figured everything out that I needed to do to make this work. I took my Dakota female receiver, bolted it in the truck, and mailed out the Dakota male end and my old seat belt assembly (removed but not cut or altered) and they made me a new web with the dakota male on it.

2 weeks later and I have a completely new setup. They disassembled the mechanism, cleaned it up, set the tension, and added the new seat belt webbing. $150 and I'm strapped in with a new belt.

Very nice work, BTW.. Feels good to have a seat belt back on me, as I'm not really comfortable anymore without one....

Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Is the $150.00 per side or both?

I have a nice 5-point Simpson harness from my earlier days but it might be a bit restrictive.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt latch