1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

seafoam in fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sea foam's great

we use to use it in our tractors on the ranch. never had any problems with it. and out of about 8 diesel tractors over about 13 years i think we only lost one I/P on an old heston. but that was due to an idiot who filled it up with Gas . that was his last day on the ranch. but i havnt thought about that stuff in years. never once thought about running it in my cummins. now that i think about it i put that in my old 6.2 diesels a few times. and one of them i had 340,000 miles on the factory I/P. of corse it was turned up all the way for about 80,000 miles. still ran good when i sold.

Bob
Old 03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Add me to the list of people who say you shouldn't fill the filter with Seafoam. The stuff does not have real good lubricity. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on a truck with an inline pump, but the rotary pumps like the VE and VP44 need good lubricity.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 PM

feul additives?

hey Dave,

what do think is the best stuff out there for our VE pumps.? i have been running used motor oil, seems to quiet every thing down. what do u think?

Bob
Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM

I have used it on many levels. For those who are not familiar, your local Advance, Autozon e, Napa, etc carries it. Red,white and black metal bottle near the fuel injector cleaners.

The first time I ever heard of it was through the dealership. After that I was sold. On gasser engines, the best route was to undo a vacuum line, brake booster line, etc and suck it through the vacuum lines, that way everything gets cleaned. The engine does not like to run on seafoam so your gonna have to rev it up. I have seen numerous, numerous vehicles that didnt idle well, clear right up after one dose of seafoam, it smokes a lot, but its worth it. I have used it in every vehicle I have owned, and have seen some great results. I also learned not to over do it, because it will set various codes, mainly o2 sensor, etc codes(not my own vehicle).

I filled my fuel filter on my CTD 1 time. It didnt smoke at all, not like in a gasser engine. And I actually didnt really feel any gain from it. So FWIW, gasser yes, diesel...im not sold yet.

I was telling Dave, the absolute best cleaner I have found was Howes Meaner Cleaner. Its a very potent cleaner. I believe 1 bottle will do a few hundred gallon, and its around 11 bucks. I added 8oz per fillup, which would clean aprox 200 gallons to my 30 gallon, it said overdose will not hurt. My idle white smoke haze which was very heavy with every other cleaner, conditioner is totally gone. So I now swear by it. Thats right....Howes Meaner Cleaner-clear bottle . I have tried every other formula I could get my hands on to CLEAN, and it just didnt cut it.

For Pump lube...Like many others I use my left over motor oil, or Power Service.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 90dodge
hey Dave,

what do think is the best stuff out there for our VE pumps.? i have been running used motor oil, seems to quiet every thing down. what do u think?

Bob
I like Standayne PF or their lubricity formula. Used motor oil is OK in small doses. If you regularly exceed Cummins' recommended max of 5%, you may experience injector problems due to deposits on the tip.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres a qoute straight off the site
When Added to Diesel Fuel Tank

Cleans fuel injectors
De-ices and removes moisture
Cleans carbon as you drive
Diesel fuel conditioner and anti-gel
Lubricates upper cylinders
Stabilizes fuel
Adds lubricity

So they says it add lubricity so therefore I don;t see a downside