1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

seafoam in fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seafoam in fuel filter

A friend told me to fill my new fuel filter with seafoam before installing it to really clean the injectors. He said it will smoke like hell for the first few minutes, and this is normal. Has anyone done this?? I don't want to hurt the injectors, but this sounds good in theory, and it may even say to do this on the seafoam bottle. Any help?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 AM

I have never tried it in a diesel, but I have dumped a bottle down a couple of high mileage 350sb's and they smoked like a freight train for about 20mins.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:19 AM

And seaform is?

I usually don't have diesel fuel laying around the shop, but I seem to have diesel fuel additive around. I prefill with diesel fuel additive on fuel filter changes.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

Never used seafoam on diesel apps but in gassers it is the stuff, worked great on the jeep.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:38 AM

What is seafoam?
If I knew something about it, I might be willing to try it, I think my injectors may need a Good cleaning, and I am willing to try this stuff. Thanks,
Wheelo
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Google it, it will tell you what it is. It seems to do the same thing as any diesel fuel additive/conditioner/injector cleaner.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM

WOW!!!!
This seafoam stuff appears to be awesome. Lets just say, I migh have to get me some of it sometime soon. Thanks And thanks again,
Wheelo
Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM

where do i put it at on my gasser to get best results
Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've used Sea Foam in my truck for years as an injector cleaner. Works great in gassers too, chain saws, lawn mowers. REALLY clean fuel gunk after the motor has sat all winther. SUPER GREAT in outboard motors in boats.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by johndeere1259
where do i put it at on my gasser to get best results
Evidently they make it for diesel engines. If its high dollar compared to any other diesel fuel treatment, I'd stick to the known diesel stuff. http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechDiesel.htm
Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bgilbert
And seaform is?

I usually don't have diesel fuel laying around the shop, but I seem to have diesel fuel additive around. I prefill with diesel fuel additive on fuel filter changes.
SeaFoam is a trade name for one of the best fuel system cleaners I have ever used, in a gas motor. It will increase gas mileage and it will clean the injectors and the combustion chamber. IT CLEANS! What will this do to your injector pump? I don,t know. I use it in my Ford diesel tractor because it sits a long time between start ups. I have poured it in me Dodge but saw nothing to brag about. I would be very cautious running pure SeaFoam through my pump. The easiest way I found to prime my fuel filter is to place a catch container on the floor under the filter. Screw the filter up to the gasket and back it off it half turn. Now pump the priming handle on the fuel lift pump until the fuel runs out in the catch pan. Then carefully tighten the filter making sure you don't break the wire off to the fuel heater. I have used this proceedure on mine and it started and ran with no indication of air in the system.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Hey boatnik -- do you know about the bleed screw? The banjo above the filter has a bleed screw in it to bleed the filter after changes . . .

For the record, I don't use it, I just leave the filter loose & prime her up as you do, but I thought I'd point it out, FWIW.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never put sea foam in my diesel but like everyone else said I have in my gasser and had good results, I usually put half a can in the throttle body with the motor running and the other half in the gas tank when it is pretty low, I didn't know it was diesel safe, so I might get a can for my CTD.

Chris
Old 03-22-2006, 05:31 PM

I have been using SeaFoam on my 3rd gen. Seems to work just fine via pouring about 3 oz. per 10 gallons of fuel. Truck ran a little quieter after a tank but not much. Smoother I would say yes but once again, not by much compared to the normal Power Service (Silver bottle) I run through. That and Mystery Oil now and then to lube the pump.

SeaForm can be bought at most Automotive stores.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 PM

I don't think I'd fill my fuel filter with it. Just sounds dangerous. Just get some good diesel additive and pour it in the tank as per instructions. Where do people come up with this stuff???

Quick Reply: seafoam in fuel filter