1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Screw-on Oil Funnel ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2024 | 03:10 AM

Screw-on Oil Funnel ?

Does anyone make a screw-on funnel like
THIS THIS
for our engines ?

Amazon offers several versions specified for many different vehicles, but no mention that I have seen for a 6BT Cummins.

I figure if one knew what was what, one of those specified for some car or other would have the same threads as our engines.

Ages ago, someone posted about finding a large-mouth brake-fluid bottle that just happened to screw into the oil filler tube like it was purpose made for it; after reading that, I tried just about every bottle and jug around here with no winners and I have never seen a large-mouth brake fluid bottle anywhere other than the one the guy pictured.

I know I don't need to tell you guys because you have been there and done that many many times.

This is how it works out for me:

If I cut a funnel out of a two-liter bottle or something similar, or use one of my shorter/fatter-necked funnels, with nobody there to hold the funnel, it will without fail rock over and probably fall out, making a huge mess in the process.

If I use one of my long slender funnels, it will stay where I put it; however, the bottom end is so small that, if I am not really careful, all of a sudden the funnel is full and over-flowing; and, it takes forever to finally get a gallon through it.

Lacking a proper screw-in funnel, what would be ideal would be a long funnel that fit inside the filler tube and did not taper; thus, the long tube would keep the funnel from going anywhere and the lack of a taper would prevent the oil backing up and overflowing.

I have considered sacrificing one of my fatter funnels by leaving only the tapered portion of the spout that would fit inside a piece of plastic tubing that itself just barely fits inside the oil filler tube and then gluing the two together.

What are your solutions for this situation ?
Old Today | 05:49 AM
KRB

A screw-on one would be a dandy. I have the same problem with my KJ diesel. If I use a long enough funnel to slide down in and not tip over, it seals the filler tube and then it burps, blowing oil everywhere as I slowly pour it in.

What about taking an old oil filler cap and drilling it out and gluing a funnel in to it maybe?