1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Right turn signal and brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011 | 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right turn signal and brake light

I looked at a few threads and couldn't find an answer that works for me.

The last time i was driving the truck, in the snow, all my lights and buttons worked perfect.

The other day, sunny day, i noticed that my right side turn signal blinked on and stayed on.

I know that both the right and left signals run through the same box(at least i think i do)

The left signal works perfect, where the front and rear alternate with the side marker light coming on with the rear light.

The right side has the front and side marker lit, and the rear light stays off.

Also the right brake light doesn't come on BUT the running lights all work fine.

All bulbs are new and the correct bulb for the socket(did both trucks at same time).

Also checked the wires going from the left to right side and they all rang out.

Please help with your personal experience.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011 | 09:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Check the bulb again. I have had 2 recently taht gave me fits out of the package. Both looked like they had good filaments, just not attached somewhere inside.
Old 01-09-2011 | 09:02 PM

i thought this too but swapped bulbs from one side to the other and the left ALWAYS worked and the right NEVER worked... there is no power getting to the center wire.
Old 01-10-2011 | 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you replaced the flasher itself?
Old 01-10-2011 | 08:11 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Guess it's time to start tracing it back,then. Check for power at the connector on the right rear framerail and go from there.
Old 01-10-2011 | 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your turning signal is coming from the flasher. Change it out, its under the dash on the fuse panel. JMO

The bulb problem is probably coming from the bulb socket itself. I had the exact same problem, with new bulbs, found out that the socket that the bulb went in....was so worn it wasnt making contact with the bulb.

If you question the socket, put a test light to it and see if it flashes thru the wires.
Old 01-10-2011 | 10:00 AM

hey-Hey!!!,
I had issues with a rear turn signal on my 1991. turns out the wire was oxidized into red dust for a few feet up along the frame rail. There was low voltage when reading with a DMM, but when I clipped a resistor across there( in place of a bulb ) was no more voltage. Never saw such a thing, and hope I never do again.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 01-10-2011 | 03:06 PM

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Have you replaced the flasher itself?
Brandon; i didn't replace the flasher because it works for the left signal and it is only a 2 prong unit. (then again its only a few bux, might as well while i'm down there)

Originally Posted by dodgenstein
Guess it's time to start tracing it back,then. Check for power at the connector on the right rear framerail and go from there.
Afraid so..

Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
Your turning signal is coming from the flasher. Change it out, its under the dash on the fuse panel. JMO

The bulb problem is probably coming from the bulb socket itself. I had the exact same problem, with new bulbs, found out that the socket that the bulb went in....was so worn it wasnt making contact with the bulb.

If you question the socket, put a test light to it and see if it flashes thru the wires.
Get-r-done; it could be, but when i probed the wires with my test light, the light was lighting up.

Originally Posted by Douglas2
hey-Hey!!!,
I had issues with a rear turn signal on my 1991. turns out the wire was oxidized into red dust for a few feet up along the frame rail. There was low voltage when reading with a DMM, but when I clipped a resistor across there( in place of a bulb ) was no more voltage. Never saw such a thing, and hope I never do again.
cheers,
Douglas
Douglas; i'm starting to think it might be a wire somewhere closer to the firewall. I will check for loose wires in the column and by the fuse box, that apparently is a problem sometimes.

The only thing that doesn't make sence is that it doesn't flash... when the lamp is out or a wire is cut it still flashes the front lights, doesn't it??

Is there a relay box or some other distribution box under the dash?
Old 01-10-2011 | 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the socket is lighting up with a test light, then it is in the socket, or maybe a ground issue, my bet is the socket itself isnt making contact with the bulb good enough.

Try your 4 ways and see if it lights.

The flasher can work on only one side. Replace it OR you can switch it out with the 4 way flasher if you just want to test it.

Let us know how you make out
Old 01-10-2011 | 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
If the socket is lighting up with a test light, then it is in the socket, or maybe a ground issue, my bet is the socket itself isnt making contact with the bulb good enough.

Try your 4 ways and see if it lights.

The flasher can work on only one side. Replace it OR you can switch it out with the 4 way flasher if you just want to test it.

Let us know how you make out
I don't think i was clear enough. The socket is OK i used a hot source and poked through the insulation, the signal lamp lit up with the center wire probed to + and left wire did the same. the test light lit up with the other outter wire(that should be ground). That says good ground and that the bulb and/or connector are ok.

With the test light hooked to ground, (running lights on) left wire was steady hot, center wire had no reaction and other outter wire had no reaction. Having the right turn signal on, same results. Flashers on, same results. Brake switch closed, same results.

I'll bring my DMM with me next time, see if it OHMs out to ground. n then see how far i can get down the line.

The center wire on the left rear does both left turn signal and brake light. Thats the wire im going to trace from the right rear.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. - I'll be replacing the flasher and hazard relays/timers.
Old 01-10-2011 | 09:14 PM

The other bizarre thing to look for but I don't think it's your problem is...

You can't plug a cruise equipped stoplight switch into a pre-cruse model year harness. It causes major electrical gremlins, and will leave you scratching your head. I fussed w/that for several hours until I traced voltage back-feeding from a white wire going into stoplight switch. Changed switch out and everything worked fine after that.
Old 01-20-2011 | 06:58 PM

I figured out the problem..s

I replaced the flashers and all the fuses. The new digital flasher got the right turn signal working again(not rear lamp).

I started tracing from the source towards the tail light. Using the test light i found that it wasn't inside the cab, or even under the frame. It was the last connection behind the bumper that was the problem. I found wires were loose and decided to wrap in electrical tape and wire loom the wires to keep from rubbing through.

This last part is what fixed my turn signal problem, i left it on while i re-installed the tail light and double/tripple checked the connection several times before i went onto the next project.

Note: i applied dielectric grease to all connections to keep moisture out.
Old 01-20-2011 | 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recall having tailight wiring issues when we did the bedside because it was so crushed.

I think we had to solder on a new socket for the tailight on the driver side....but i may be thinking of a different truck as we've had many
Old 01-20-2011 | 07:27 PM

It didn't look crushed in the pictures i saw...just RUSTY. besides this is in the RC, and i'm glad i figured this out before i cut and ran a new wire from the firewall back.