1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Rewiring fan controlled underbed aux cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rewiring fan controlled underbed aux cooler

Hi all ;OK this is for the factory dealer install option - underbed aux cooler. Now I'm assuming that it's working fine.....as per DC engineering .Now speaking of DC engineering these are the same space cadets that have a temp switch in the tranny, design to shift the auto out of OD if the tranny reaches 270 degrees .now the cooler works without a fan the fan is there for hot days slow traffic no air flow etc. but given that DC dropped the ball with the tranny switch I don't trust this one either. Also if I see the temp rising above my happy mark I can switch on early. So how bout it can it be wired out
Old 03-06-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by fishin fever
Hi all ;OK this is for the factory dealer install option - underbed aux cooler. Now I'm assuming that it's working fine.....as per DC engineering .Now speaking of DC engineering these are the same space cadets that have a temp switch in the tranny, design to shift the auto out of OD if the tranny reaches 270 degrees .now the cooler works without a fan the fan is there for hot days slow traffic no air flow etc. but given that DC dropped the ball with the tranny switch I don't trust this one either. Also if I see the temp rising above my happy mark I can switch on early. So how bout it can it be wired out
Sorry I read it a couple of times. I am not 100% sure what you are asking.
Are you asking if you can remove the fan completely or just from the temp switch.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:55 PM

Sorry guess I spend too much time ranting about DC and not enough on question ........ Can the temp switch which controls the fan be bypassed/removed and the fan wired to a simple in cab toggle switch allowing driver control of fan?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure, no problem. You could whatever you want. Maybe put in a relay so you don't have to remember to turn it off when you shutdown the truck. If you get tired of that cooling unit, I would be happy to take off your hands!

On that note...I do want to add an aux. cooler to mine. But I've never seen the factory setup. Would you have any pics you could post of yours? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Here is a pic of my under bed cooler - you can find more pics here.

I'm using the Flex-A-Lite #49591 cooler - best price I found was from Summit Racing.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by fishin fever
Sorry guess I spend too much time ranting about DC and not enough on question ........ Can the temp switch which controls the fan be bypassed/removed and the fan wired to a simple in cab toggle switch allowing driver control of fan?
You could also wire in a switch but leave the cooler's switch installed. Just get a SPDT switch (12volt, 30amp) and connect the two terminals to the two leads coming off the cooler's switch. That way, the fan comes on if either switch is closed.

DBF

PS: You could also test the cooler's switch. Take it out & disconnect the leads. Then clean it up. Connect an ohm-meter to the two leads (doesn't matter which way). It should read near infinity. Now dunk it into a pot of boiling water. At some point, the resistance should change to near zero as the switch closes. If it doesn't, you know the cooler fan won't turn on until something more than 212*F, which is too late for me. DBF
Old 03-07-2006, 08:33 PM

Fan Switch

I have used a relay and switch located in the cab for many years now. In the summer here I just toggle it on and let it run.

I also have the plumbing different than most. I have it routed now like this: Comes out of the tranny into the aux cooler, out to the forced air cooler up front and then to the heat exchanger on the passenger side then back to the tranny.

I monitor the fluid comming out of the tranny and aux cooler. This system works. 2 years ago comming out of Las Vegas there was a wreck and had to idel for seemed like a hour, tranny was 145F. Leaving Vegas on 95?? to Searchlight there was 24 miles of construction, slow going, no what I mean. The tranny temperature with the AC going, aux tranny fan on and the fan engaged up front and the air temperature of 110 plus hauling a cab over camper the tranny fluid only got to 160 or so.

I'm going to miss this hot weather down here in Arizona but I'm moving to Bend Oregon the end of this month. Guess I will have to learn how to keep the old girl warm in the winter time. I have a winter front any thing else needed?

Jim
Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 PM

Thanks guys . Post a picture for tuckerdee ... hmm well can't find cp user info on how to do that..... so if some body could give my a tutoral .... I'll start apic gallery
Old 03-08-2006, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I cut the wire from the temp sender on the cooler and connected the HD toggle switch in place if it.
Actually did this a few years ago on our way to LasVegas while in Baker California, {anybody familiar with the world's tallest thermometer?}
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker,_California
It was ugly 124* and the truck was running a bit hot so we stopped at A&W to get a drink and I laid under the truck on the 1000* asphalt and made the connection. It only took a few minuets but it felt like I was laying on the surface of the SUN and I think that is the first time I had ever heard the fan run. It is a really easy modification and you will have no problem forgetting to turn it off, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner and the leaves swirl under your truck.
Jim