1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Reverse Rotion Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=PapeCAT;3088321 Any differences in steering feel?[/QUOTE]

I'll report on that later. I've only drove it to town & back about 8 miles on a 35mph road.

For right now definitely a well worth improvement.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by MARF75
May I ask how many dollars??
Does this company ship??
I just got confirmation from my gear rebuild.

Chip from http://www.powersteering.com/products.htm is rebuilding mine this week.

With the 3/4" input to match the jeep shaft, quick steering (16 to 1 vs 24 to 1), changing the pressure input on the gear to a "metric" unit so I can use a stock chevy pickup pressure hose (from 1980 and up) and my existing metric cummins PS pump (with no modifications), removal of internal stops, and LIFETIME warranty on the work was $339 plus shipping.

My gear will be done next week, and I couldn't be happier

He highly recommends the Magnefine PS FILTER to protect the system, as it's a fully bypass filter that cannot clog and burn up the pump / gear etc. I just ordered one of those as well.

Chip is a cool dude to talk to and more than helpful with choosing what's right for me and my truck.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Magnafine Filter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mmF6...eature=related
Old 03-16-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Cool beans T!

Has it been 8 weeks already??

Yeah knowing what I know now I should've left it with chip instead Of paying 80 bucks to give it a cross country trip and back.

Hey but sounds like it will work out perfectly for you and the jeep/Chevy shaft will work for ou without any modifications. I guess it would be a cheap replacement for the borgeson!

That alone is sticky worthy for guys staying with the stock steering box setup even.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM

I just got an email from Chip, confirming my order.

He has, however, placed a thought of doubt in my mind, with reference to the "jeep shaft" insertion. He's reviewed this thread, and has questioned whether or not this the the right way to go.... as I'll explain in the next paragraph.

His thoughts are that the Jeep shaft was designed for a "smaller lighter duty truck" and not originally intended to be used in a big diesel bearing fullsize truck, such as ours. He said it will work, but his recommendation is to use the Borgeson shaft, as it's beefier in design. He said.... "it's my choice", and I hope it's not going to bite me in the butt later on..

I understand what he's getting at, as a the torque from the heavier tires, suspension and it's feedback into the gear may cause undue stress on the jeep shaft joint, as it's the weakest link of the system. Now I'm not so sure any longer that I'm doing what's best for safety over costs.

Is there any thoughts to this before I confirm my order, via email ? Now I'm a little wigged out
Old 03-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I just got an email from Chip, confirming my order.

He has, however, placed a thought of doubt in my mind, with reference to the "jeep shaft" insertion. He's reviewed this thread, and has questioned whether or not this the the right way to go.... as I'll explain in the next paragraph.

His thoughts are that the Jeep shaft was designed for a "smaller lighter duty truck" and not originally intended to be used in a big diesel bearing fullsize truck, such as ours. He said it will work, but his recommendation is to use the Borgeson shaft, as it's beefier in design. He said.... "it's my choice", and I hope it's not going to bite me in the butt later on..

I understand what he's getting at, as a the torque from the heavier tires, suspension and it's feedback into the gear may cause undue stress on the jeep shaft joint, as it's the weakest link of the system. Now I'm not so sure any longer that I'm doing what's best for safety over costs.

Is there any thoughts to this before I confirm my order, via email ? Now I'm a little wigged out

T, I would listen to him, sounds knowledgeable and seems to care. Many vendors just fill your order, without thought. Just my opinion, of course...Mark
Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM

T

The jeep Joint is fine.

How many guys at the CK5 http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286086 do you think have done this? And wheeled the **** out of them with way oversized tires in ruts in mud ETC ETC.

Its a new Idea to him.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
T, I would listen to him, sounds knowledgeable and seems to care. Many vendors just fill your order, without thought. Just my opinion, of course...Mark
Mark,

My situation is a little different than others. I just got off the phone with Chip a few minutes ago, and his concern is derived from the "snow plowing" that I'll be using the truck for, as it's going to put more stress on the truck than if it was a daily driver. If I hit a curb while pushing 3/4 ton of snow, and I don't release the wheel, the joint may snap... being it's actually slightly undersized for the application. This may or may not be an issue on the road, but he feels it's not worth actually taking the risk.... and I agree.

He told me to call borgeson and ask for Gill. Place an order for a #940 Dodge shaft, but to change the universal to a 3/4" Chevy universal with a "flat spot", and they would build it as it's required to bolt right in. I have a call into him right now, and I'm waiting to speak to him later.

In the mean time, prior to placing the order, I'm going to use the Shaft setup I have Jeep / Chevy parts and drive it around for a while. No snow expected for at least another 9 months here, so I'm good to go.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Sounds like a plan, and I am not sure that I would count on any snow in 9 months. Maybe you should open a B&B in a tropical motif...Mark
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Borgeson

So were back on this piece of junk.

Harvey at redheads does NOT recommend the use of the borgeson.

Reason the way the piece of junk mounts to the SGS you tighten (drill) the set screw in to the hollow fluid filled shaft to get it to hold to the shaft.

Look at how the Chevy rag, Jeep U-joint, Dodge Power Wagon rage, & Dodge cummins mount to the input shaft.

Chip has now lost my respect as a Quality builder.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Joint may snap?

I would expect the splines to strip out first, or the Rag joint to fubar.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bobva
Borgeson

So were back on this piece of junk.

Look at how the Chevy rag, Jeep U-joint, Dodge Power Wagon rage, & Dodge cummins mount to the input shaft.

They mount with either a bolt or a pin. I've never seen a borgeson shaft in person, and I'm not ordering it until I look at one and compare the two. That's why I have a call into them to discuss.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bobva
You're not exactly being fair and impartial, senior Bob.

Chips ability to do his craft shouldn't be hindered or blackened by an opinion on safety of an adjacent part that attaches to his work.

If everything he says is true, and he appears to be a man of his word, then his PS gears are tops in the industry for rebuilders.... and that's why he's building mine. Whether or not I use a borgeson is my choice and I have to make that call. He's just concerned over me and my welfare, and as well as you are, I'm sure.

Thanks for the concern and I'll let you know what I do.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Personally I dont care if you use the jeep U-jiont.. Its all up to you

In fact you can have the Input shaft replaced in RRSG to a 3/4 x 36 use your stock steering shaft. Now if you do this the shaft would be strait.

After all how many snowplows are out there with the stock set up using a dogleg shaft.

Quick Reply: Reverse Rotion Steering Box