1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Recall #605 VE injection pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
You may also want to mention to them that the American feds may well be interested in Dodge not wanting to honor a safety recall, the potential liability that they may be exposed to and past practice, I.E. mister BULLY got one a little more than a year ago, well past the 10 years. They should quickly realize that a new VE is much less trouble. I also like to climb the corporate ladder until I get to somebody with power and doesn't really want to talk to me...Mark
I don't think the American Feds would care at all in this case, I did phone Transport Canada though and left a message for a "recall agent"

Originally Posted by user name
Reading that one key line I would not give you one if I was dodge it is now on the Reman company. I highly doubt dodge put on a reman under warranty and anything after the time should have been upgraded. My 2cents on the issue.
I should of mentioned that its a Mopar reman and under the recall posted above they say reman's are covered too if the infinity symbol isn't on the reman plate or pump plate
Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading that one key line I would not give you one if I was dodge it is now on the Reman company. I highly doubt dodge put on a reman under warranty and anything after the time should have been upgraded. My 2cents on the issue.
I agree 100% on that but i beleive he is referring to reman is,, its a MOPAR reman which is under recall.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by gyman98
I don't think the American Feds would care at all in this case, I did phone Transport Canada though and left a message for a "recall agent"
You may be surprised, they are bureaucrats and the consumer safety commission takes safety recalls pretty seriously. Worth a report anyway, but if not, it's not a bad thing to drop in a discussion with a Canadian service manager, IMO..Mark
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gyman98

I should of mentioned that its a Mopar reman and under the recall posted above they say reman's are covered too if the infinity symbol isn't on the reman plate or pump plate
That changes my opinion big time if it's a MOPAR they are responsible to make it right. Now if you've modded the pump you may have problems.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 PM

on a side note I bet my 92 I just turned up would have qualified.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM

on a side note I bet my 92 I just turned up would have qualified.
Nope!!!!!

I took out my power pin, 3200 spring and replaced the originals and turned everything back to where it was originally was.

I told the dealer the previous owner removed the fuel tampering stuff.

I had been in my pump numerous times.

There is NOT a Dodge dealership ANYWHERE that will look in the pump. THEY ARE NOT TRAINED TO TAKE EVEN ONE NUT OR BOLT OFF OF A PUMP AND WILL NEVER EVEN DREAM TO TAKE THEM APART.

This is what the mechanics have told me.

Pumps go to the pump mechanics and that is that.

(now that I have said that Dodge will probably come and take mine back
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM

As far as I know the pump is stock, it doesn't make any smoke and seems pretty slow so I'm guessing the previous owner never messed with it. He was the original owner and hardly knew anything about it, maintenance was done at the dealership
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 PM

phoned another Dodge dealership who said they couldn't help me because it doesnt show up on their computer and suggested phoning 1-800-465-2001

Talked to lady named Laurie there employee number LV119 who said that they will not repair my truck under recall #605. If my truck is going WOT while driving it is my problem to get it fixed
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The information is provided because the INTENT is to preclude lawsuits due to SAFETY RELATED FAILURES.
SAFETY RECALLS ARE NON-EXPIRING!
Also, pump modifications ARE NOT COVERED, so if you'd modified it by removing the covers and played with the screws, you're out.

Go here and input the last 8 of your VIN to see if there are any actual recall notices on your vehicle:

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...eenName=recall

Mark.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
The information is provided because the INTENT is to preclude lawsuits due to SAFETY RELATED FAILURES.
SAFETY RECALLS ARE NON-EXPIRING!
Also, pump modifications ARE NOT COVERED, so if you'd modified it by removing the covers and played with the screws, you're out.

Go here and input the last 8 of your VIN to see if there are any actual recall notices on your vehicle:

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...eenName=recall

Mark.
I agree, just stating what Dodge told me regarding a 10yr deadline.

When I input the last 8 of my VIN into those online tools, it says no outstanding recalls but so did THEBIGBULLYS.

I think my truck didn't have a problem pump on it when new but when the replacement pump was installed under warranty I think they used a NOS pump they had on the shelf. According to the recall MOPAR reman pumps should be covered if the build date is in range and no infinity symbol. My date code is 167 and it has no infinity symbol.

I've talked to 2 recall agents at Transport Canada, neither one was willing to help me and said it was up to Dodge to monitor their own recalls and that recalls are based on VIN only.

I finally got the service manager to agree to phone the district manager, if he says no then I am SOL
Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM

I have 2 NOS injection pumps that are NOT the "205" number, but IIRC, the recalled pumps were also not all 205 pumps.
Does anyone know the part number on the "Defective Recall" or the "Shelf Replacement" pumps that may fall into the faulty category?

A side note, I have a 419 pump here that had an interesting problem of locking up the AFC lever into shutdown, as well as not starting when it was hot, again due to this lever malfunction.
I'm THINKING it's totally unrelated to the recall.

I'm also under the impression that the defect problem was caught earlier in the 1993 model year and that the problem affected a good majority of the 1991-1/2 and the 1992 model year trucks.
I personally have 3 trucks with 205 pumps and no recalls.

Using that site listed above, in a range of 25 vehicles, I found 5 recall notices for the injection pumps within a 20 number span, all on 1992 vehicles.

Those 5 are:

NM502500
NM502506
NM502515
NM502521
NM502523

And I'm sure there will be more in there, if a guy pursues it.

If Dodge were indeed replacing problem OEM pumps with defective on-the-shelf pumps, not knowing, there possibly is a few recall ones that were installed on previously recalled vehicles.

Mark.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:19 PM

According to the recall its not so much a pump part number but a date code on the pump itself. IIRC any pump that is between 163-169 and wasnt fixed and stamped with the infinity symbol is defective.

My last 8 digits are a lot higher then the ones you listed, NM555668 could explain why my truck was never part of the recall just had a older then the truck, pump installed. The recall was issued in July of 1994 so my guess is mine was replaced sometime before that
Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 PM

"NM" in the numbers above represents 1992.
"PM" represents 1993.
"MS" represents 1991.

Mark.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 PM

My pump failed on me going to get firewood a few weeks ago. Lost all power and the engine quit, then picked up 3 times. Then went WOT. Luckily shutdown with the pull cable. Yes, my pump is modded. However, the lever that seems to have broke had no additional stress on it I could see, and it appears to be the same issue the recall pumps had.

I chased every lead i could, and I kept getting managers higher up that kept saying "No" in a more firm tone than the last one. They kept telling me the recall was over, but the letter in all the documentation CLEARLY says (in pdf format in a signed letter) that the recall is effective no matter what the age or mileage.

I just needed my truck on the road, so I yanked a good runner from a parts truck and I'll fix the other pump with a core I have later. My numbers were not 163-169. I think mine was 266, but it was an early 93 truck with "92 model year" emissions stamps on the engine data plate. The breaking was consistant with the failed pumps, but I've just kind of given up. I know my hands have been in the pump, and they will blame that immediately so I've just given up.

Gave me a scary ride I won't forget soon. Really made me upset and start to look at Duramax. Almost put the fleet on craigslist cheap!

Last edited by BC847; 02-12-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Language
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Knowing Corporations as we do, I wouldn't be surprised if the database that shows these recalls became "unavailable" before too long.
I was talking to someone earlier this evening, a local guy who worked for a GM dealer and he was telling me of an entity that you can go to that will definitely circumvent all the BS and it gets notice.

The darned name eludes me, however.

It's in the same realm as the NTSB.

Mark.

Quick Reply: Recall #605 VE injection pump