1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Rear main musta sprung a leak.....tranny ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear main musta sprung a leak.....tranny ?s

I noticed some oil stains under my pickup the other day. When I looked underneath, there was motor oil all over the transmission and t-case, and pretty much splattered all over, and from where it was seeping, it looks to be the rear main. Anyway, it was very cold, and i have a feeling that this may have been the cause, and since it was only a quart (if even that) low, I am going to watch it a while and see if it still leaks badly. Luckily I have a car, so it is not an urgency.

My question is about the tranny. If I end up jerking it to fix the seal, i think that it might be a good idea to do some upgrading, since it is such a **** poor towing tranny in stock form, am I will probably be doing some more "bombing". I have also contemplated a 4500 swap, but right now I am trying to find a balance between $, functionality, and ease. I would really like an NV 4500, but since I would probably need a new t-case, as well as a number of parts from a donor 94-98 pickup, it may end up costing a pretty penny, as well as being alot of work. But, if it works out well, it is still an option.

The 47RH with a lockup TC was an option, but I decided that it would end up costing too much to be worth it. It sounds like it is almost as much wrench time as a 4500 swap, and it wouldn't be nearly as good of a pulling tranny. After buying a 47RH, I would probably still need to do some upgrading to it, and I do not think that it will work with the NP 205 either.

This leads me to the last, and probably most sensible option. Upgrade the stock tranny. I have looked at those ats converters and some other parts. I guess that what I should ask is what people here have did to upgrade their tranny. I have time to figure things out, but I need some good solid info to go on.

A different TC is a no-brainer, but would a different valve-body or upgraded internal parts also be a good idea? I don't know too much about how an automatic works, but I would love to learn. Also, is there a way to modify and put a lockup TC on this transmission?

Thanks for any advise!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed in your sig. you have your trans. listed as a 46rh. unless it is a swapped in trans. and I may be am wrong. it is an a518. I would call around to some of the reputable trans. shops and they will be glad to tell you what would work best for your needs. and yes they can make the 518 a lock-up style transmission.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

Change to a new 1995 Flexplate, trust me.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 AM

A 46RH and an A518 are the same thing, just a different name. I am going to take you advise and check around at a few tranny shops to see what they have to say, and go from there. What does it involve to change the tranny to a lockup style? And also, why should I change the flexplate?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Banned

Because A) the first gen one tend to crack rather quickly. B) its only $100 C) I just spent 4 days in the street changing mine. In august i had a complete suncoast tranny put in a didn't even think to change it.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I understand it is possilble to change the internal parts to make it a lockup trans, but I'm not going to get into that.

I put a 47RH in mine in about one weekend.
-the bellhousing adaptor is thicker, about 1" to make room for the torque converter clutches. Any of them will do, 94-02 are the same.
-Starter off a 2nd gen for the above.
-Additional pin in the conector to control lockup.
-NP205 Transfer case from an A518 will bolt right up, just remove the seal in the back of the OD unit and seal the flange with RTV.
-Trans mount is going to need the slots lengthed to accomidate the 1" thicker bellhousing adaptor.
-Drives shafts MAY need to be shortened/lengthed. I didn't, the only thing I did was move the carrier bearing mount with 3/8 flat steel.

Swapping in a NV4500 your probably going to need a NP205 from a manual trans or at least the input shaft for one.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:41 PM

Bump

I did some checking around and looking at different options. I sounds like an upgraded A518 will end up costing at least $2500 where ever I get it, and I think that it would be a very good idea to ungrade the tranny as well as the TC. This means that a 47RH will cost at least that much, when all is said and done. And the worst thing is that I will still only have a marginally good towing tranny. So, if i even mess with the tranny, an NV 4500 is the way that I will go. $1200 for a rebuilt 4500 with an improved OD doesn't seem too bad at all. As far as the t-case, I do have a 1979 GMC with a 4-speed & 205, and since it is parked, I might consider a swap. Will this t-case work? Also, can anyone point me to a good offroad forum, so I can ask some t-case questions?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Upgrading your present tranny/tq-converter will be your best compromise, IMO. If you throw the right $2500 at that tranny, you will have far more than a 'marginally good towing tranny'. Dig up some members with a built auto in their 1st gen and pick their brains. The NV4500 will lead you to source the extra pedal, the slave/master setup, the physical stick (most remans don't have the shifter attached) and then you have to hack your floor open and tear at your carpet etc...the 1200 you spend on the tranny will likely be just the beginning of that invoice. I wouldn't personally go with a manual unless you went with a 6-speed. JMO
Old 02-27-2006, 04:44 PM

Nope. No chance. The auto is gonna go, unless I decide to just leave everything as is and just fix the rear main (if I even have to do that). The manual option will probably cost as much or more when all is done, but it is what I prefer, so it is well worth it for me. A number of parts can be picked up at a junk yard, and for a reasonable price with enough arguing. The tranny as I said seems very reasonable. And the t-case may be an easy fix. The auto is certainly an easier project, but I will not be nearly as happy with it, and it will still not be a great towing tranny (although much better). And I might have this pickup for many years to come, so I would like it my way, and if I spend this insane amount of money on an auto, it had better be an Allison or something behind that engine.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 47 can be built into an exceptional towing tranny, probably better than any manual. Talk to the right builders--Dave Goerend.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:34 PM

Well, maybe I just like shifting. Its nice to have a tranny that shifts when and only when you want, and it is also very nice to be able to utilize engine braking to help stop, which you also cannot do with an A518 automatic. And no matter how much $ you dump into an A518 or 618, there is no way around the 2.5:1 or whatever gear ratio of 1st and reverse.

Can anyone answer my t-case questions from a couple of posts ago?