1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

rear drum removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rear drum removal

i know this is in the sticky but the link is not working... so i got a few questions. i attempted to check the condition of the rear shoes today but was never able to get the drum off. i removed axle shaft and bolts and the main spindle nut (the 2 and 9/16 nut) and the outer bearing. is there anything else that needs to be removed for the drum to come off? i did not want to go pounding on anything because i did not have parts on hand in case i broke something. am i missing something here or are they just that tough and require a bigger hammer to get them off???? any tips would be greatly appreciated.

edit: the drum spins freely and it does not sound like the shoe is rubbing on the drum. i loosen up the adjuster as far as it would go thinking that might relive pressure but no luck.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Try tapping around the outside of the drum with a small hammer and block of wood. The inner seal or bearing might be hung up on something.

If your drums are really worn, you might have a ridge that's holding against the shoes. Keep turning down the adjuster until there's no adjustment left (not the e-brake adjuster, the one in the bottom of the drum. You might also have a broken spring that's not allowing the pads to pull together.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage
Try tapping around the outside of the drum with a small hammer and block of wood. The inner seal or bearing might be hung up on something.

If your drums are really worn, you might have a ridge that's holding against the shoes. Keep turning down the adjuster until there's no adjustment left (not the e-brake adjuster, the one in the bottom of the drum. You might also have a broken spring that's not allowing the pads to pull together.
i have the adjuster all the way turned up/lose. i will give it some more taps with the hammer and see if it helps.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if u can't get them off the way the above is telling u . buy a spring kit for both sides and cut the back of the shoe retainers off (witch is the pin that goes thought the backing plate one on each shoe if u didn't no that )and then pull the drum off ,, and i won't hurt anything . i have done it hundreds of times ....