1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

RC conversion back in gear after wedding:)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
RC conversion back in gear after wedding:)

Ok, some of you probably know that I am putting together a Cummins swap into my 92 RC canyon sport. I already started by removing the old 5.2, auto, and transfer case. Then went through the interior and removed the RC dash harness and auto brake pedal. Then installed the diesel harness, clutch/brake pedals, and tach. I installed the diesel brake switch and made up alittle adapter harness to go from the diesel dash harness to the interior harness. Then pulled the 9.25 rear and dropped the tank. I cleaned the tank then installed the diesel unit. Ran new fuel lines, reinstalled tank. Then finally got my D71 out of storage after having a sure grip installed over the winter. Put it in today, then installed new brake lines, new wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums. Then axles and wheels. I used the diesel 6" blocks but am using the factory RC springs. I will add a helper and or air shocks for proper ride height. Tomorrow I plan to pull the front end and springs. I am using a 4ply setup with a Kelderman front air ride to help make it sit correctly and a nice comfy ride. I know a lot of you have done similar swaps and know it seems so common. But I am super excited to have this done!!! I appreciate all those who have done this swap or similar for you being so nice to answer my repeated questions and being so nice about it. I like asking ones who have done it as thier knowledgable info might prevent me from making costly mistakes. A special thank you goes out to Mark Nixon who has been so nice to me. Anyways, the list that needs to be done is still way longer than the one for complete but I love every minute of it. Man I love first gens!!!!!
Name:  DSC02279.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  157.0 KB
Name:  DSC02278.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  155.3 KB
Name:  DSC02276.jpg
Size:  126.1 KB
Name:  DSC02283.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  128.4 KB
Name:  DSC02280.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  134.6 KB
Name:  DSC02281.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  138.9 KB
Name:  DSC02282.jpg
Size:  143.0 KB
Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good work man....Gonna be awesome when its done and ride and drive amazing, especially with the 3.07's and the 5 speed and the soft springs out back.

That truck will buff up great if you put some time into it,
Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 PM

I want it for a tailgate truck to take to Morgantown for football season. So a soft ride is a must. Funny thing Crossy I bought it out of the southern tip of Jersey! I have two 92 Canyon Sports. This one actually is pretty clean compared to the other one. This one looks rusty in certain areas but its very solid in the wheel wells and floor pan. The other one came from north/central PA. Rusty. I know its hard to tell in the pics but I am running 285/75/16's on it. The fronts are currently 32/11.50/15's in the pics. My dad thought I was going to run aluminum wheels but I love the look of caps and rings. So a set of those will be on when completed. Thank you for the compliment.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Well today I got the RC's front end and oem springs out. Then installed a new 5ply spring packs up front. I thought they were 4ply for some reason. Then after having to remove a couple broken bolts and fixing a couple pitted threads (rears came from Mass), I installed the front end. Then installed my air tank and the air bags for the Kelderman setup. Being I dont have the bearings on my shelf I am just going to stick the wheels on it to move it around. Tomorrow I hope to have the motor, tranny, and T-case out of the donor truck. I need to swap a couple things over onto the 90' motor to use a 92 diesel engine harness. Anyways, here is what it currently looks like.

Name:  DSC02285-1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  154.9 KB
Name:  DSC02286.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  113.7 KB
Name:  DSC02287.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  125.6 KB
Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Getting work done.

Make sure you buy all your new brake parts from rockauto.com!!! best deals ever on brakes for 1st gens,
Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Crossy I already have new calipers and pads. I just need new rotors. The bearings, races, seals I will get from Napa next week. I am so excited. I know it seems like in a whole day not much was done but I assure you being out in the 95 degree weather since 9am this morning I was working my butt off to get as much done as possible. I did get the rear hub caps on. I do love the simple clean look of nice factory caps.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Ok, today was a wash out at 1pm. I hate working outside sometimes. Anyways, I made good progress on the donor truck. I have everything off the motor, core support out, transfer case out, and all I need to pull motor and tranny is undo the crossmember bolts. The motor runs surprisingly good for having over 500k on it. Working on the transfer case and tranny the amount of grease and dirt built up is amazing. Once I pull the motor a good cleaning and a new rear main seal is in store. I also noticed one of the two vacume pump bolts is broken off in the front cover. That will be fixed as well. Anyways, Here is where I am at at this time. And just so no one thinks I am a lazy freeloader, I do have a job. I took a weeks vacation to be able to work on my project.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM

500k is nothing! is that the engine you're using?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Yes, the motor runs really well. The odometer is broken at 507k. The guy I bought it from said he bought it from the original owner about 8months earlier to build up as a project but lost interest. The motor doesnt run like it has that many miles on it. But the truck looks horrible. The tranny shifts nicely and besides being covered in grease the tranny and t-case seem ok.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 PM

No A/C either! wow
Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 PM

Good project! I'v always wanted to do a similar swap
Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Thank you 1992gen1 fan, my first vehicle was a 1979 RC. I have been a fan ever since. I have always wanted a Cummins RC. I have been buying up items to do it for a couple years. First the RC, then the axles, then the donor truck. Then all the parts to put it all together! I love this thing, you members have no idea. I turn 31 tomorrow, I get to enjoy these trucks with my dad. I get to turn wrenches for him and he gets to boss me around. I enjoy it though. Well today I did ge the motor and tranny pulled. I started cleaning the mounds of grease off everything.
Name:  DSC02292.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  183.5 KB
Name:  DSC02293.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  237.2 KB
Old 07-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Well now that I am not on vacation and back to work progress is back to late evenings or weekends. Today I replaced the front timing gear seal, rear main seal, installed the crank sensor, and I/C damper. Then installed the air intake plate with the two needed sensors. I didnt notice at first but the opening for the inlet is in different locations on the two plates. I originally didnt notice and installed the 92 plate correctly for a I/C motor but not for the air intake tube coming across the motor. Luckily I noticed it before I torqued it down. I only need to pull the vacuum pump and drill out the broken top bolt. Then reinstall with the new gasket. I would have done it today but a freak rain storm ran me inside. Anyways, special thanks back out to Mark Nixon and others for helpful info. Knowledge is power! And learning from others who have done it keeps you from making costly mistakes.
Name:  DSC02295.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  193.1 KB
Name:  DSC02294.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  147.9 KB
Old 07-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great progress thus far!

We have the same combo ... w/ G360s

Jealous that you got the 3:07s though, my donor truck got the 3.54s, still hell of a lot better than 4:10s ... I can't imagine having 4:10s in a Cummins RC.

I thought of another route to fix my front suspension after checking out your rig though (my springs are totally shot).

Maybe get some new 1/2 springs and throw a used kelderman setup on top to smooth out the ride.

Sure a lot easier than fabricating a 4 link w/ bags

keep up the good work, looks like your making all the right steps.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Nice.

Did you/ Are you killing the KDP? I hope so

Quick Reply: RC conversion back in gear after wedding:)