1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Rattlesnake under my hood!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattlesnake under my hood!

I thought that might get some attention, as thats what it sounds like.

I posted several weeks back about having a massive boost leak from one of the screws missing that was holding the back fuel line bracket going inbetween the cylinders. I am not sure how long I have had that leak, but its been a while since I started noticing a gradual loss of power.

Fast forward to last week - I picked up my 32ft float trailer to move some hay with my wife. After we got airborne she said she could hear something rattling on her side. I just figured it was something under the dash. The radio was up, so I ignored it.

Now, yesterday on the way home from church pulling the same trailer I hear a sounds under the hood that sounds like a giant rattlesnake rattling its tail. Its obviously the turbo, as it only happens when I was running 55 to 60 and laying to the go pedal pretty good. Once I backed off the sound went away.

My question is this. What do I do the aleviate this sound, and what can it damage if it continues?

Good thing is, I looked at my wife and told her I thought my turbo was "out" and would need a new one and she agreed. HTT here I come!!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
My question is this. What do I do the aleviate this sound, and what can it damage if it continues?
It sounds like compressor surge, a compressor upgrade with cure it.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Look for an exhaust leak at the head.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Look for an exhaust leak at the head.
This is true, I have seen some push the gaskets right out from the manifold moving back and forth.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 AM

Thanks guys. I will check the gasket for sure. But no way I will let my wife know if thats the problem!!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM

I have a very similar noise, but only at idle. If I give it a little pedal, it goes away. Same area also.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:52 AM

I did some more testing last night and determined it has to be the turbo. The manifold was tight with no signs of leakage around the gasket that I could see anyway, and it had NO slack in it to indicate it was loose anywhere.

I also drove the truck to work this morning and at the same speed of 55 to 60 then accelerating hard it did not make the sound. That makes me beleive its the turbo since it only seems to do it when I have a load.

That said, I have my eyes on the HTB2 series Turbo, but want to run it by everyone here. I TOW with my truck more than anything. In fact, it stays hooked to a trailer more times than not. The HTB2 62/14 is what I am reading is the best towing turbo, but I have to wonder how the Killer B 64/14 would work.

I know the Stage IV Com. Upgrade is 60MM, so the 62/14 would be a step ahead of that, but I don't want to get the 62/14 and then wish I had more down the lines when I upgrade injectors, especially since we are only talking a few Hundy more to get the killer B.

Can anyone give me any advice on a towing application turbo from the real world?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
The 'Ford does not own Cummins' enforcer.

does your truck have a boost gauge....cause my truck will make a rattlesnake noise when i put a load on it goin up hill....and i watch my boost gauge and it jumps back and forth but it only does it once in a great while
Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SmokemS
does your truck have a boost gauge....cause my truck will make a rattlesnake noise when i put a load on it goin up hill....and i watch my boost gauge and it jumps back and forth but it only does it once in a great while
No Boost gauge - plan on ordering boost, pyro & RPM gauges when I order my new Turbo. Hoping someone can help lead me to the right solution on the Turbo.

Anyone?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM
The 'Ford does not own Cummins' enforcer.

htt upgrade is ur best bet
Old 01-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Jeff, unless you plan on throwing a bunch more fuel at the truck, just get the GDS/HTT upgrade kit. You don't have the fuel to get good response out of an HTB2.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Jeff, unless you plan on throwing a bunch more fuel at the truck, just get the GDS/HTT upgrade kit. You don't have the fuel to get good response out of an HTB2.
What is your definition of "a bunch more"? I plan to get a DennyT fuel pin and atleast some 190's. I hate to miss the boat with the wife on getting a complete new turbo.

Obviously the new sticks would be a ways down the road as I would have to recoupe from the cost of the turbo 1st. I have just read several posts while searching of people who wished they had skipped the compressor upgrades and went straight to a new turbo. Guide me o great one....
Old 01-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Adminstrator-ess

The upgraded stock turbo can handle 190's and a fuel pin.

A big turbo without enough fuel is no fun to drive. EGT is hot down low, truck feels soggy until high RPM - then the turbo lights and she pulls great - and then you hit the governor and defuel.

I am one who wishes I hadn't upgraded the H1C - but I already had plenty of fuel to run an HTB2 (POD's) when I did the upgrade.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 PM

rattle snake saound

I had that same sound. It was my head gasket. It had blown out around the water jackets. And it woild make some noise when the peddle was down, and lighten when the foot did. Take a real good look at the H/G. You could hardly tell with out realy lookin when mine did it.

Bob
Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Take air cleaner hose off front of turbo with engine not running. See if shaft turns easy. Hold shaft and push, pull and shake. If hits wall of inlet or jumps noticablly its history. Sometimes you will see wear pattern on wall of inlet. That is also bad. Has engine started using oil lately is also a indicator.

Quick Reply: Rattlesnake under my hood!