1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ram air for stock air box

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ram air for stock air box

Hi all... have been pouring over intake options for new to me truck. the smokey[and copys]look nice but the air sorce looks to be the factory duct and any extra warm engine compartment air...soooooooooooo what if using a k&n or greenie[read high flow filter of choice]in the stock box . and instead of swiss cheesing it for more warm air ,you get some ducting and snokels from the bone yard and you fabicate two cold air ducts picking air at bumper level or there abouts, then piping them into the stock box those plus factory inlet makes 3 all cold what ya think
Old 02-20-2005, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Lightbulb Re: ram air for stock air box

Originally posted by fishin fever
Hi all... have been pouring over intake options for new to me truck. the smokey[and copys]look nice but the air sorce looks to be the factory duct and any extra warm engine compartment air...soooooooooooo what if using a k&n or greenie[read high flow filter of choice]in the stock box . and instead of swiss cheesing it for more warm air ,you get some ducting and snokels from the bone yard and you fabicate two cold air ducts picking air at bumper level or there abouts, then piping them into the stock box those plus factory inlet makes 3 all cold what ya think
Ram Air
Check out the pictures in my Picture Gallery, I have a cold ram air system I built using a Banks air scoop. Gives my FREE boost at freeway speeds. Not sure where you live but consider some way to prevent the injestion of water from puddles if your truck is low.
Here to help with any questions. Jim
Old 02-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned

Check my pics too.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:03 PM

Hey Jim Lane; now that's what I love about the DTR pose a problem get an answer ,pose an idea.....get it drawn out in pictures, plus the field trail results. I really like your idea of using existing inlet [less work].I never felt that there was anything wrong with stock box except air supply but this is just dodges way of making it sound more carlike just like the silence ring on hx35 .Anyway Jim 1 ques: one of your pictures mentioned.. note hole or cut in fender sheetmetal could you please explian futher heck of a good design Thanks [Victoria is on Vancover Island 20 miles across the water from Bellingham ,Washington] . PS thank-you also Mr Whitmore your design is excellent as well however I'll be mostly stock ,but for the guys running the big hp numbers they should take a looksee Eric
Old 02-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Post Ram Air

Originally posted by fishin fever
Hey Jim Lane; now that's what I love about the DTR pose a problem get an answer ,pose an idea.....get it drawn out in pictures, plus the field trail results. I really like your idea of using existing inlet [less work].I never felt that there was anything wrong with stock box except air supply but this is just dodges way of making it sound more carlike just like the silence ring on hx35 .Anyway Jim 1 ques: one of your pictures mentioned.. note hole or cut in fender sheetmetal could you please explian futher heck of a good design Thanks [Victoria is on Vancover Island 20 miles across the water from Bellingham ,Washington] . PS thank-you also Mr Whitmore your design is excellent as well however I'll be mostly stock ,but for the guys running the big hp numbers they should take a looksee Eric
Eric.
Yes if you look closely where the 4" duct drops down through the right inner fender I used a cutoff wheel and notched out a hole for clerance of the duct. I dressed the edge with a clip over type moulding on the edge so it would not buff a hole in the duct. The inlet assy. is sealed to the opening in the air box with aluminum foil tape used for HVAC also and a pop rivet or so. The 4" sheetmetal tube I used on the air box is standard HVAC air duct as is the end cap intended for it. The flex duct is the aluminized/ mylar kind used for common dryers and will not burn. I got the parts at Home Depot but any local HVAC parts store will have it. The air scoop I got was from Banks and is the one they used on the large motorhome ram air systems. I live a few miles from Banks Engineering and went browsing aroung the shop and displays and found what I needed, that part I think was about $25.00 or so. The entire outlay for the sheetmetal parts and duct was also about $25.00 maybe less. You can get creative and fabricate your own air scoop with maybe a 4" 90* bend, ABS would not rust and could be painted. Be a good idea to cut out a 2" hole at the back side of the scoop for a drain.
You need to be careful you do not injest water into your engine from a deep puddle and cause a hydrostatic lock in your engine. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jim.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:35 PM

Jim, how much difference did the ram air make in your boost?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

It wont make any diff on boost pressure however I monitor air temp at the horn and I can tell you the ram air does help out for economy and on egt's

Cheers, Kevin
Old 02-22-2005, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Question Ram Air

Originally posted by boiler-rat
Jim, how much difference did the ram air make in your boost?
After I put it on I saw an average of 4- 6 PSI higher on my boost gauge at freeway speeds I drive the freeway alot and when you are going around 70 miles per hour and I am off the throttle there is a few pounds boost that is just there. It also seems to spool up faster. I have not actually done any scientific test but I have a water mannometer and I will see if I can get some actual measurements. As far as temps, once again I need to set up a thermistor and see if I can get a cold versus hot differental. The cold outside air has to be more benifical than the HOT ambient air under the hood.
The air scoop inlet area is approx. 4" X 6" and is directly in the air stream.
Also before I had it on, when I got on the throttle hard I could see a visable exhaust haze in the mirror but afterwards it is almost gone. So I am obviously increasing my fuel / air ratio.
Later Jim.L.
The following users liked this post:
bigragu (11-01-2016)
Old 02-22-2005, 06:30 AM

Id put a scoop on my truck but i go through too much high water, snow and a lot of dust. Thats indiana for ya tho
Old 02-22-2005, 07:38 AM

Has anyone tried using a hood scoop? I think it would look cool especially with stacks.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:57 PM

Hey Jim thanks for the detailed reply . I will soon be making my version of the "Jimmy air ram system" Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Hood Scoop

Originally posted by 92DIESEL
Has anyone tried using a hood scoop? I think it would look cool especially with stacks.
I think that a scoop like either one from a 70's dodge 440 six-pack or from a Boss 429 would look cool. You would need to install a plate to the top of the engine to connect to the bottom of the scoop to recieve the air. The old Ford shaker hoods would look nice also. I do not know if there is enough high pressure area from the windshield to use a rear facing scoop as from a corvette.
Jim.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Hey Jim, thats what I've been wondering but I can't find any pics. Do you have any or know of any, I'm going to go with a BHAF soon but am undecided on if the stock location is the best. Colder is better- Right?

Thanks again,
Michael
Old 02-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Hood Scoop

Long time ago in the old drag racing days I used to buy from A&A Fiberglass but a check on the computer and I cannot find them but I have found a few sites that have a good selection. There are some good pictures of the old mopar and ford style. Actually some of the cowel induction style I have seen on some Chevy's and I think one was a Syclone. After you get over the horror of cutting a hole in your RAM hood for the scoop all you would need would be a boxed in underside plate directly under the scoop to capture the air and then a bellow to duct it into your air box. This should be fairly simple sheetmetal work most people could handle. Think the cowl induction would look and perform outstanding especially if the front of the truck was dropped. Checkout these sites:

http://www.galebanks.com/im_moparnow_spring03.cfm
http://www.up22.com/
http://www.hotrodssuperstore.com/fibhoodscoop.html
http://www.fiberglass-hoods.com/hood-scoops.shtml
http://www.truckoutfitters.com/hoods.html
http://www.powertown.com/product.asp?id=26700
As I mentioned before, I am about 3 miles from Banks Engineering in Azusa and they have some awsome things at this place.
Jim L.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the links... So many options

Quick Reply: ram air for stock air box