1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radiators

Since the non IC'd trucks don't have such a good radiator I want to upgrade it. I know that the IC'd trucks have a good rad, but am wondering if someone knew the size of one that would be need to keep it cool if I wanted to go with a custom/universal aluminum one or something like that.

I don't want to limit my search to just a later model rad because I am going to be making a custom rad support anyways so as long as its not too big I can make any radiator work. Just want to make sure its gonna keep the engine cool and do a better job then my stock rad.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about a 4 core radiator out of a chevy/ford???if youre going to make a radiator support you could go with on from them too. i know mine hasnt had a problem on my truck, and dont have a fan. just something to hink about.

Nick
Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the bigger IC rad and it isn't enough to keep mine cool when pulling a heavy load up a steep hill. I always have to back off the go peddle because of the engine temps notthe Pyro.

If you are going to fab in a different rad may as well go as big as possible. I've also heard that alumminum rads cool 1/3rd better because aluminum is better at transferring heat.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the aluminum will cool better than the same sized copper/ brass would.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cLAYH
I have the bigger IC rad and it isn't enough to keep mine cool when pulling a heavy load up a steep hill. I always have to back off the go peddle because of the engine temps notthe Pyro.

If you are going to fab in a different rad may as well go as big as possible. I've also heard that alumminum rads cool 1/3rd better because aluminum is better at transferring heat.
I don't pull/tow anything with my truck but im sure temps could still get up there. Right now just going down the highway at 70mph they can get pretty hot (over half) with my current rad

I'll keep the aluminum part in mind I think I can get a good universal one for about $300 but im not too sure especially what dimensions I need.

Does anyone have stock dimensions? If not I'll just have to get them later