1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiators

Well i found a hole in my radiator last night woo hoo

So i wanted to see what you guys recommend for a radiator. I dont have too much money right now.

Car Quest is listing them for like 150 and napa is 190 on national back order never heard of that until today............

So anyways let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 AM
JDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I could get one for that. I just called around this morning and they were all in the $240-260 range. I just noticed coolant leaking when I got home from work yesterday. It was dark and I didn't really have time to check real good, but I did see a bit of coolant inside the fan shroud. I'll investigate further tonight and I'm praying it's something else besides the radiator.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Is that for the Non IC rad or the IC rad. If its the Non IC I would be all over that because I need one too>
Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Have you tried a local radiator repair shop? Perhaps they can fix the hole.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 AM

Hey yeah thats for a non ic radiator. At least thats the price i got quoted over the phone for car quest.

So jdp i could be completely wrong and be looking at the same prices as you.

BC 847 i thought about that........if the tanks are good i still might do that but that might be even more right????

Anyways thanks for the replies and i will let you guys know what i do.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM

So what is the difference between the cross flow radiators and top flow radiators.(i think thats what its called).

If i guess right the hose on the top is off to the passenger side if its a top flow???

I dont know

Need some help.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Top flow means that the header tanks are at the top and bottom. Cross flow means the header tanks are on the sides. Your truck takes the top flow style. Intercooled trucks use cross-flow, and it does cool better.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Alright thanks Dave.

Thats what i thought too.......so what your saying is i could get a cross flow for my truck if i wanted to?

Kyle
Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, but you will have to do a little fab work and get a later model thermostat housing to install it.

If it's not being used as a heavy tow rig, it's not worth the trouble.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:32 PM

sauder the hole if it isnt to big how big is the hole
Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Well i took the radiator out today. It had some pretty big holes down in the passenger side corner hard to see with rad installed.

I took it to an old radiator shop down to the road to recore it.

Can you believe i couldnt find any radiators for my truck at any auto parts store the guy who is recoring it said the company had to make it themselves...........What is up with that???

Anyways the real question is it going to damage my block since i dont have it in tonight?? I plugged it in thinking that might help.

Its supposed to be like 20 degrees tonight....i am just wondering if thats too cold to have not too much coolant in it. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
If you've drained the coolant from the engine, don't run the block heater for fear of burning it up (not immersed in fluid).

Y'all check me if I'm wrong but again, if you've drained the coolant from the engine you shouldn't have any problems with it freezing and pushing the freeze plugs around. Especially if that coolant left in the corners of the block are the correct mix of water and anti-freeze.

Right?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
If you've drained the coolant from the engine, don't run the block heater for fear of burning it up (not immersed in fluid).

Y'all check me if I'm wrong but again, if you've drained the coolant from the engine you shouldn't have any problems with it freezing and pushing the freeze plugs around. Especially if that coolant left in the corners of the block are the correct mix of water and anti-freeze.

Right?
Yep, I would agree completely with both your points. Plugging it in isn't a good idea, pretty much the same as plugging in your tea kettle with no water in it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Alright thanks guys. I wish i had actually thought through that before doing it

I only had it plugged in for like three hours so i hope that didnt mess anything up.

Thanks so much for the reply i appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847

Right?
NO problem leaving it open over night witha little green water in it......

Originally Posted by The Sarge
Alright thanks guys. I wish i had actually thought through that before doing it

I only had it plugged in for like three hours so i hope that didnt mess anything up.

Thanks so much for the reply i appreciate it.
Get out the meter and check the resistance of the element. 3 hours could have burnt it up if it was dry....

Quick Reply: Radiators