1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiators

Alright I just have aquired yet another Cummins truck after the several I've owned. This 93 truck vented the radiator very well when the fan clutch decided it didn't like being attached to the motor and tried to eat a hole in the radiator. So now a new radiator is in order along with some other things but the question is radiator. I work for a parts store and can get the radiator for cheap BUT the radiators we sell...are junk plain and simple. So I'm hunting for a new good quality radiator for a CTD truck,aluminum would be awesome but highly doubtful but would like to know any certain direction yall could point me in. Thanks

Jimbo
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 AM

How much is Cheap ?? Don't forget the 5.9 gas engine radiator and the 5.9 diesel are NOT the same. I just went through all this and they told me $175 bucks for a rad, so i bought it, brought it home and pulled the old one that was leaking and stopped out of the truck to put a new one in, and the one they gave me was for a gasser ! And smaller. Dumb me never checked it till after i pulled the old one out... Needless to say the one i need is $200 more !!! the old one will be repaired, since its not leaking that bad.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I worked on a '91.5 truck that had a real nice all aluminum Griffin radiator. It was installed by a previous owner so the current owner did not know the price.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM

This is a component I've always wondered as far as what and where to go to buy a new replacement part. If you go to the dealer (which they won't hardly show many dealers across the U.S. having them) to get a radiator it's going to be an astronomical price and most won't pay it. A lot of aftermarket radiator companies are out there, but you do have to worry about mix ups as far as getting a gasser radiator when you want one for Cummins diesel! That has got to be my most important question to this thread is where can you buy the best, aftermarket radiator for a 1st GEN that will be as good as the factory one or better for keeping the engine cool? I know somebody in the past had posted part numbers for an updated fan clutch and/or fan from Dodge, which I'd like to consider getting if it's more beneficial and also would like to add the replacement of my original radiator. I mean mine isn't leaking but I'd like to replace it before the potential for a leak or problem does occur. Heck, I'm going to have the front end tore off this thing here pretty soon for getting the cab repainted and installing a Powerstroke intercooler. I'll do the extra work for installing a new rad provided I can find a good, equivelant replacement. Any suggestions?

Sal
Old 03-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Well I searched SummitRacing.com and found that Griffin does make a radiator for these trucks but at around $600 bucks that's out of my ballpark. The one we carry at work is my cost around $200 but the company makes complete junk...I sell them but personally wouldn't put one on my lawn mower let alone my daily driver/tow rig. Ready-Aire makes one that Orielys and such chain stores carry and they look decent to some degree but still junk. I'm going to tear mine out and see if I can find a real good radiator shop around here(the one that was in town closed its doors ) and see if I can get my original recored or something similar.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Ya, I've had pretty good luck at the local rad shop with repairs and re-cores. I wouldn't buy new unless they said the old is fubarred, and it has not happened yet.

JP.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:00 PM

i bought a visteon and its worked out wonderfully so far, probably only 1000 or so miles on it tho.