1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Radiator Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 04:49 PM
JWP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Upgrade

Hey Guys, I am a first time poster but have been lurking around for a while. I have a question about radiator upgrades. I took mine out to be rotted and found out that is what rotten. I want to replace it but want to know if there is any upgrade to do. I want to eventually put in an intercooler but not now.

Is there a difference in radiators from the Non IC to IC models?
Can I put in a 2nd generation radiator?
I do not mind modifying the radiator support area and would be willing to cut and weld whatever I needed to put the best possible radiator in there. What does everyone recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:17 PM

I don't know about a 2nd gen radiator, I would believe that it would take some pretty extensive mods. However I am pretty sure that the I/C model radiator is somewhat larger than the Non I/C radiator so that would be an upgrade.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The radiator for the intercooled trucks is a crossflow unit that cools much better. I think it's a bolt-in.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:05 PM

i dont think youd want one out of a second gen regardless, they have plastic tanks. take your old one to a radiator shop and have them rebuild it with an additional row.

edit: to get a 1st gen intercooled crossflow radiator in you need a thermostat housing since the hose goes across the engine instead of straight forward..
Old 10-13-2005, 06:25 PM

HTML Code:
I think it's a bolt-in
I believe you need the thermostat housing from an I/C engine and the upper hose to have it fit correctly. Otherwise you have to do some re-plumbing because the angles don't jive.
Not 100% positive, but worth investigation.
Jay
Old 10-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks guys, I haven't been under the hood of a non-IC'ed truck. Still seems pretty simple.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:44 PM
JWP

I have done some investigating and agree that the second generation would be out due to the plastic ends and aluminum coils.

I like the sound of converting to a IC radiator. What year would I order, 92-93?

Where could I get the thermostat housing?

Trending Topics

Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take a look tomorrow but i think theres a rather large differance in sizes between non ic and ic trucks. I'm thinking the rad support has to be changed as well but not sure. but i have both trucks avaible i'll do some measuring .
Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM

rad

it can be done without changing core support. i did it one my 90 ctd. there is a set of instructions out there with part #s one needs. some grinding and welding in the bottom of the core original core support.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

On the later radiator, the bottom mounts are basicly 2 bump-stops that fit into a couple holes. I took a couple thin, steel plates and brazed about a 3/8" section of 1" galvanized pipe to the center. I drilled a hole on each side of the ring I brazed to the plate for some self tapping screws. It's a pain, but get the new mounts measured and in place and screw them down. To get the radiator to sit lower, I cut the bottom half off the bump stops which exposed the pin they slide onto. I drilled a hole in the center of the ring to clear these pins, but the weight rests on the rubber stoppers. The top mounts use a flange or "outrigger" of each side that wont clear the old support. I took a dremel with a grinding wheel and cut off the sides of the rad. support to clear the new rad. mounts. This will remove the top two mounts of the fan shroud too. There is a shorter fan spacer available which I haven't picked up yet. I initially tilted the new radiator to be flush with the fan, but this was too close. When my rear end locked up, the flex was enuff to cause the fan to graze the radiator. After I patched the radiator I positioned the new top mounts to hold the radiator straight up and down for clearance. I dont' tow at this time, so there isn't much of a noticeable difference. I also had to use a saw to trim the top tab across the fan shroud and a little side trimming to get the shroud to but up tight. I've had 12 million phone calls while I typed this, so feel free to PM me or post questions.
Don
Old 10-14-2005, 05:44 PM
JWP

I ordered a 93 crossflow radiator last night from car parts wholesales off of ebay. It was $134 plus 28 for shipping. It is funny but the 89 radiator is $246. It is actually cheaper to go with this radiator. I plan a just ordering a thermostat housing and the new cummins thermostat. I will probably copy what Redleg has done on his installation. Redleg, do you have a part number for that shorter fan extension?

When I get done, I'll post the results. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I changed to a 93 rad not hard at all little cutting and drilling and i used a fan schroud from a 77 big block dodge truck it fit almost like it was supposed too be there. and the upper rad hose if you cant find the right Tstat housing can be made from 3 of the 90s upper hoses.
and it definitely cools much better
Old 10-14-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'v just been doing this mod on one as well. The mounting and spacing are all different, the shroud's different, the fan mount is different, stat housing's different, and most parts are obsolete. I did away with the fan and shroud, and installed a Flexalite electric fan kit. Very nice product. This truck will be much better when it's done.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Im curious how the electric fan does for you. Ive been told they cant move near the same amount of air the stock clutch fan does. Id love to switch and save some h.p., a stock fan when engaged can pull 30+ h.p. Keep us posted.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mopar2ya
Im curious how the electric fan does for you. Ive been told they cant move near the same amount of air the stock clutch fan does. Id love to switch and save some h.p., a stock fan when engaged can pull 30+ h.p. Keep us posted.
This is a dual fan setup that fits the core very well. I don't remember the CFM value, but it was relatively high. Anyway, it's not my truck, but a customer's, so hopefully I will see it from time to time and get some feedback.

Quick Reply: Radiator Upgrade