1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Raced a HEMI today....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raced a HEMI today....

I like reading all the stories about everyone racing (not that we condone that type of behavior) so I thought I would post up about my latest duel. I pull up to this hemi durango at the stop light and the urge hits. I look over at her and she looks back and smiles. She revs her engine and I blow a little smoke out the stacks. The light turns green and we're off. I started in second just to give myself a chance. I grabbed her off the line (she wasn't paying attention apparently) and shift into third. Just as the turbo really starts spooling and the smoke starts pouring, she blows past me. I think alright...I shift into fourth and really give it to her...smoke is pouring, engine is screaming...at this point I am having a hard time still seeing the hemi she is so far ahead of me, but I am proud and will not give up, so into 5th she goes and I give it to her for all she's worth. About two minutes later my wife calls me on the cell phone to make sure I am alright and that the truck didn't break down, she had been waiting for me on the side of the road after she lost sight of me in her rearview I told her she was lucky that time...

Just to make myself feel better, I raced a guy on a 10-speed on the way home...I won
Old 08-26-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 89dieselkong
I like reading all the stories about everyone racing (not that we condone that type of behavior) so I thought I would post up about my latest duel. I pull up to this hemi durango at the stop light and the urge hits. I look over at her and she looks back and smiles. She revs her engine and I blow a little smoke out the stacks. The light turns green and we're off. I started in second just to give myself a chance. I grabbed her off the line (she wasn't paying attention apparently) and shift into third. Just as the turbo really starts spooling and the smoke starts pouring, she blows past me. I think alright...I shift into fourth and really give it to her...smoke is pouring, engine is screaming...at this point I am having a hard time still seeing the hemi she is so far ahead of me, but I am proud and will not give up, so into 5th she goes and I give it to her for all she's worth. About two minutes later my wife calls me on the cell phone to make sure I am alright and that the truck didn't break down, she had been waiting for me on the side of the road after she lost sight of me in her rearview I told her she was lucky that time...

Just to make myself feel better, I raced a guy on a 10-speed on the way home...I won
Looks like it's time to turn the full fuel screw up a little more and get a rematch! thats what i did with my wifes furd......but i only had to over come Here V6
Old 08-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to win when you start in second. It really takes a 3rd gear launch to get a good run.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Yeah, it's hard to win when you start in second. It really takes a 3rd gear launch to get a good run.
Ya tryed that,,can you say clutch smoke
took letting it cool before it started working right again!

Well....if you didn't try to slide the clutch, till the boost came up it would probly work fine!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Short of an air-cooled VW running on 3 cylinders, there's not much a getrag-equipped truck can beat from a standing start, I'm afraid Catch me at the bottom of 4th at about 35mph though...
Old 08-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

i dont know aobut the getrags but the NV4500 i have in mine has bad 3rd gear launchs. 2nd is where i start if i want to be fast off the line.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I can't start in 3rd with the 3.07's, 2nd is just fine, thank you
Old 08-26-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
I can't start in 3rd with the 3.07's, 2nd is just fine, thank you

Ya i be your 2ng gear has way longer legs, the us 4:10 guys!
bet you can even get the boost to relay start to pull before you have to shift!
the boost is a waste in 2nt unless i'm pulling somthing!

just as the boost start to come in... it defuels