1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

R-134a The Other GAS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
R-134a The Other GAS

Are other states doing this also or just us?

It must be because California is so SPECIAL

Name:  Deposit_zpsb4e5c78b.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  51.5 KB

This is the governments attempt to keep you from stockpiling R-134a, notice you must return the can within 90 days to get your deposit back.

I have an interesting question,
If I bought several cans from Wal Mart or say Big Lots because I have bought some there before, and they collected the $10.00 deposit,

Can I return an empty punctured unsealed vented to the atmosphere can to a convenience store, to get my deposit back?

Has the EPA authorized any store that sells it to be an authorized recycling center, how will they store these used containers, in a trash bag in the break room?

I have not tried, but maybe they do not charge the deposit because it would be illegal for them to receive and store them.

I was just wondering what the other 49 states were doing.

Jim
Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Indiana does not say that on the can.

I wouldn't be surprised if MI did it. They do it with about everything else sold in that state.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
I just bought a 30# tank off of E-bay, delivered to my house for around 110 bucks. No word of deposit. I want to know why a 12 ounce can of 134a costs 14 dollars. The old r-12 was about a buck and a half and would gp on sale for 69 cents, it's noy about profit is it?...Mark
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Are other states doing this also or just us?

It must be because California is so SPECIAL

This is the governments attempt to keep you from stockpiling R-134a, notice you must return the can within 90 days to get your deposit back.

I have an interesting question,
If I bought several cans from Wal Mart or say Big Lots because I have bought some there before, and they collected the $10.00 deposit,

Can I return an empty punctured unsealed vented to the atmosphere can to a convenience store, to get my deposit back?

Has the EPA authorized any store that sells it to be an authorized recycling center, how will they store these used containers, in a trash bag in the break room?

I have not tried, but maybe they do not charge the deposit because it would be illegal for them to receive and store them.

I was just wondering what the other 49 states were doing.

Jim
the new cans are refillable. you do NOT puncture it, you just un seat the fill valve, and it reseals when you remove the tapper. you also must buy a $4 adapter to use the new can, threads are diff. the new can will re-seal if you only use a few ounces to top off an A/C system. if you do a few A/C re-fills a year it`s cheaper to get the r134a in a 30 lb can from Costco or sam`s club.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Administrator

No freon 12 in Mexico

Ok, I just went down and talked to the owner of the hardware store that is supplying much of the building materials for my house that I am building here. He said that since Nieto became president, that they have cracked down on the sale of R12. He has none, there is none in Kino and he doesn't think there is any in Hermosillo. That includes the replacements like freeze 12. If it is found it is considered contraband, so if you were planning on a trip to Mexico to buy freon doce you may as well just come down and enjoy the beach, that is all...Mark
Old 07-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
propane,cheap,no tax,best a/c coolant you can get
Old 07-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop in replacement for R12, MP39 Or R401A.
And according to my source, these are NOT dirty gases like 134a

Last edited by BC847; 07-22-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Removed short-cut to profanity
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most Auto repair shops that have been in business for a while have R12 in the back they'll top you off with. That's what i do every summer
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Administrator

I have 30 pounds of R12 that I bought in the 90's for 25 dollars. I just can't bring myself to use it, because I have a 68 Impala SS convertible 396 C.I.D. 325 horses (original engine, tranny and rear end ) sitting in my garage waiting for restoration. This R12 is earmarked for that. Pretty dumb huh? I told all my friends back then to buy one because they were going to ban it and I was the only one that did. I converted the Dodge mostly because I can get 134A anywhere without a license and I don't want to lug around 30 pounds. I don't really understand what the problem people have with 134A, the 2 vehicles that I have had with it blew and blows icicles. The problem I do have is that the real reason that R12 was banned was because Dow Chemical's patent was expiring, not environmental damage to the Ozone layer. Styrofoam does 10 times more damage to it than R12 ever did. I guess that is just how we roll...Mark
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.redtek.com/home.html
use something different enviro friendly
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I have 30 pounds of R12 that I bought in the 90's for 25 dollars. I just can't bring myself to use it, because I have a 68 Impala SS convertible 396 C.I.D. 325 horses (original engine, tranny and rear end ) sitting in my garage waiting for restoration. This R12 is earmarked for that. Pretty dumb huh? I told all my friends back then to buy one because they were going to ban it and I was the only one that did. I converted the Dodge mostly because I can get 134A anywhere without a license and I don't want to lug around 30 pounds. I don't really understand what the problem people have with 134A, the 2 vehicles that I have had with it blew and blows icicles. The problem I do have is that the real reason that R12 was banned was because Dow Chemical's patent was expiring, not environmental damage to the Ozone layer. Styrofoam does 10 times more damage to it than R12 ever did. I guess that is just how we roll...Mark
environmental damage to the Ozone layer??

You want to talk about damaging something,

Dow Chemical made Napalm-B and Agent Orange,
I know people who have died from exposure to Agent Orange.

I think Dow Chemical has done more damage to our planet than any hole in the ozone layer could do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_Chemical_Company
Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts

I think Dow Chemical has done more damage to our planet than any hole in the ozone layer could do.

Dow Chemical Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Right off the bat I noticed things about the hole in the ozone layer.
1. It always occurred over the Antarctic.
2. It always occurred in the Summer.

Two Rhetoric questions immediately popped into my mind.

1. What generates the ozone in the first place.
2. What is missing in the Antarctic in the summer.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Dow Chemical Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I hope everyone knows that I am in agreement with this. The ozone was the excuse that they gave for banning R12 (and the rest). We all know that it was to make Dow more money, right? And why does 134A cost $14.00 for 12 ounces, when R12 was about a buck? That is a rhetorical question, by the way...Mark
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Earth does more damage to itself everyday. In fact the earth is destroying itself.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
propane,cheap,no tax,best a/c coolant you can get

Interesting. Please elaborate.

Quick Reply: R-134a The Other GAS