1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

quickie boost ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quickie boost ?

so i just got to work and while letting the temps cool down, i wapped on the throttle some, (qick revs to 2k and such. the boost gauge never moved once it went to 1. is that common? also having not been a diesel driver before. do these trucks pull well. because if i turn over drive off and floor it i get 55-60 in D no O/D it feels like it is still pulling but i of course have to stop (red light or traffic) also the boost gauge seems to drop after it peaks even though im still on the throttle.

now these things might be normal but im just asking cuz im new and like to make you guys think. lol. thanks for any insight. jiMMy

PS: ill be towing with it this weekend. my flat bed and my cruiser and im hoping it will out perform my old 78 gmc gasser with a SB chevy that pulled hwy 50 through the sierras at a cool 30mph lol.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wapped on the throttle some, (qick revs to 2k and such. the boost gauge never moved once it went to 1. is that common?

Yes that is common. if you held it to the floor you might see 5 lbs of boost or so. reason is that your not really pushing any real fuel/air to spin the turbo.

also having not been a diesel driver before. do these trucks pull well. That is what a Diesel is made for...

because if i turn over drive off and floor it i get 55-60 in D no O/D it feels like it is still pulling

My 93 will only go 65 at the most with the OD off. It just runs outta RPM and the gov kicks in. You are out of peak HP and TQ at this point so go a head and shift.

also the boost gauge seems to drop after it peaks even though im still on the throttle.

Thats because the govenor is kicking in and defueling the truck. Plus you are not really putting a load on the engine anymore so it is not calling for more fuel and boost to burn the fuel.

ill be towing with it this weekend. my flat bed and my cruiser and im hoping it will out perform my old 78 gmc gasser with a SB chevy that pulled hwy 50 through the sierras at a cool 30mph lol.