1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

quick help plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post quick help plz

ok long story short- my front left squeels and grinds, ok took it to martin tire they told me i need mew bearings which sounds right, they told me i need
1 inner bearing
1 inner bearing cone
1 outer bearing
1 outer bearing cone
1 seal
can anyone break this down for me, how hard is the install, and does anyone have any part #'s for these parts, and any hints or tips, also if someone has a list of speciality tools i'll need that would be nice!
thanks,
cody
Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this site out .
http://quad4x4.com/index.html
Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 AM

thats expensive :0, martin trie quoted me 150 bucks for parts and install, with only 42.50 for labor but i figure i could save me a couple $ by doin it myself and also gain some experience, i was also hopin i could get these parts from a local parts store??
Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Check out this site it should link you right to where you need to be. I have gotten many things from here and have not had any problems.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...aring%2c+Front
Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 AM

ok ryan i found the bearings but i still dont know which ones are inner outer cones and a seal? and i still gotta wait to be shipped
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 AM

You should be able to get them from your local parts store.

To do the job you need to remove the caliper. Remove the hub. Be careful to not strip out the little allen bolt that hold the hub on. With snap ring pliers remove the snap ring from the spindle. Know remove the outer snap ring using a small screw driver and pic. Know the hub internal piece should slide out. Undo the first nut. with a pic and magnet remove the lock ring (note the little dowl pin on the ring that engages the inside nut. Make sure when you reassemble that this pin is in one of the holes. Remove the inner nut and the rotor should slide off with outer bearing falling out the frt. If your saving the bearing dont let it fall onto the ground and get dirty.

With a big punch of brass drift pound out the rear bearing and seal. Using a longer but smaller tipped punch drive out the inner and outer bearing cups. Youll have to kind of walk them out hitting on one side and them the other. Same goes for the install but be careful not to hit and dammage the bearing surface. Pack the new bearings with grease forcing it from the open side out the other side. This takes a bit of time and elbow grease. Put a blob of grease into the palm of one hand and take the bearing in the other. Press the open side of the bearing into the grease forcing it through until you see it come out the other side.
Make sure to install the bearings in there correct place (inner or outer) also intall the inner bearing before you tap the new seal into place. Install everything reverse of diassembly. Tighten the first bearing nut until you start to feel the nut getting tighter. Also it is very important to have seated the new bearing cups properly or setting the bearing preload will never work. . Spin the rotor around a few times to help seat the bearings and tighten the nut some more. Know back off the nut until its just starting to get loose. Spin the rotor again. Once the nut takes up the slack tighten about 1/4 turn. You dont want to over tighten or youll be doing this all over again. Know install the nut lock coller making sure the little dowl pin finds a hole. If it does not line up agust the nut a little tighter to line it up. Know install the outer nut to lock into place. Tighten this one fairly tight to lock the assembly together. If you get lost here remove the hub from the other side.

If you have a friend thats done this before it might help you.

Hope this helps
Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 AM

Call your local parts america advanced auto or parts store and give them the manufacture and part numbers of what you need and they should beat the price and might have them in stock. If you don't have part numbers tell them what you need and they should be able to find it for you.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 93beater
can anyone break this down for me, how hard is the install, and does anyone have any part #'s for these parts, and any hints or tips, also if someone has a list of speciality tools i'll need that would be nice! thanks, cody
You may find this helpful. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=143024
Old 12-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Nice post BC847. Makes way more sense than what I was trying to say
Old 12-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Hey BC if i'm out in North Carolina you want to do my brakes i kind of like that Blu grease

Originally Posted by BC847
Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Hey BC, you did that write-up a week after I did mine. Lots of name calling was done to the truck as the Chilton manual was not very handy.

The Chilton said for removing the brakes, to remove the hub. Ok, how do I do that? I go to the front axle section and look under hubs. Says to look under "hub removal manual" Went round and round and finally got it all apart. Took me 2 hours to do the first and 30 mins to do the second. Then you came along about a week later
Old 12-30-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Tron
Nice post BC847. Makes way more sense than what I was trying to say
I'm lost without pictures.

Originally Posted by Confedpirate
Hey BC if i'm out in North Carolina you want to do my brakes i kind of like that Blu grease
The blue grease is extra special and therefore reserved for 1st gens.

Originally Posted by dieselJon
Hey BC, you did that write-up a week after I did mine. Lots of name calling was done to the truck as the Chilton manual was not very handy.

The Chilton said for removing the brakes, to remove the hub. Ok, how do I do that? I go to the front axle section and look under hubs. Says to look under "hub removal manual" Went round and round and finally got it all apart. Took me 2 hours to do the first and 30 mins to do the second. Then you came along about a week later
Oops!