1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Quick help with Front main seal. Which way in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick help with Front main seal. Which way in?

Ok, the old one I pulled out had the "install dry" label facing towards the radiator (out).

The NEW one is mounted on the seal installer made of plastic. so either the last one was in backwards, or this is mounted on the plastic sleeve backwards. The large part of the plastic sleeve is on the larger lip side. So I would have to install it with the "Install Dry" label pointed in towards the engine. Which was is it supposed to be? I want to finish this up today and maybe get the injection pump all done and running on my old utility truck. Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
the lip of the seal should face backwards or towards the engine. do you have or can you take a quick picture of the seal?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM

It's got 2 seals. One is white and much smaller, the other is tan and larger. The way it is sitting on the installation tool now, that larger seal would face OUT which is backwards of the one I put in. I guess I'll just switch the installation sleeve and put it in. I want to get this DONE tonight!

EDIT: Here. Hard to see with cell phone camera. THe bottom one is the side that says "install dry" and WAS the side facing forward towards radiator on the old seal. But clearly I can't install it that way with the sleeve set up as so

Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
the small white cap is the dust cap. that faces forward. the way you're holding it in the second picture, it should face forward (the radiator). and yes, the sleeve that's in the seal is in backwards or wrong. i had to install my front cover without it. it's supposed to be a teflon seal but i i sprayed a minimal amount of WD40 on my finger and lightly wiped the inside of the seal so it would slip on easily. i started the truck yesterday after the H/G job i was doing and have driven it a bit since then and have no leak from the front seal or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
In the following image, the crankshaft approaches the seal from the right. (This is how it would look from inside the block).

The seal would be seen installed as below.

You should not put anything on the seal prior to installation. It is designed to be installed DRY with the crankshaft wiped dry as well. As such, when it first runs, some of the Teflon material is transferred to the mating surface of the crankshaft.

Name:  FrontSealInstruction.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  101.6 KB
Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Never mind.... it was on the right way. I thought the small end went over the crank snout and the seal slips off. No. The BIG end slips over the crank snout and you press the seal OVER the bigger end it seems. Just set that flange thing installation tool onto the seal OVER the plastic sleeve. I used a 1.5" peice of the original 3" exhaust and pressed it in place with a peice of 2x4 like BC847 did. Slicker than snake snot!

EDIT: Thanks BC, looks like you chimed in as I was writting this! And I installed in dry like suggested. Time to grab another PBR and finish up the injection pump install