1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Quick Drain Oil Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Drain Oil Plugs

I WANT TO THROW THIS OUT FOR MY OWN RESEARCH. IS ANY ONE USING THE QUICK DRAIN OIL PLUGS? SOME BRAND NAMES THAT COME TO MIND IS FUMOTO ( spelling???) BW, AND A BRAND I SAW IN GENO'S CATALOG. HE USED TO CARRY THE FUMOTO BUT I DIDN'T SEE THEM. I HAVE A TWO WHEEL DRIVE CREWCAB CONVERSION AND JUST USE IT FOR DAILY DRIVING AND PULLING MY CAMPER. I AM LOOKING FOR OPINIONS , LIKE / DISLIKE ANY PROBLEMS. I DON'T WANT THIS TO TURN INTO A 5 PAGE DISCUSSION JUST SOME CONSUMER USE / EXPERIENCE, THANKS GUYS!!! AUGIEDOG
Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM

I'm not sure what brand name mine is, I got it from Genos it has the turn down so I can put a tube on it and then drain into a jug without any mess, it has the spring loaded lever. seems to be real handy and dosnt hang down to low. I had one on my old Toyota for years and loved it.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BADRAM1
I'm not sure what brand name mine is, I got it from Genos it has the turn down so I can put a tube on it and then drain into a jug without any mess, it has the spring loaded lever. seems to be real handy and dosnt hang down to low. I had one on my old Toyota for years and loved it.
Look really close at the Geno section of drain plug systems and see the kind that uses a tube with a fitting attached. Once the fitting end of this tube deal screws onto the other fitting (in the kit, you get a hose with an attached fitting and a seperate fitting that replaces your drain plug)that you replace your OEM plug w/. Screw that in and it forces a valve in your new drain plug to lift and pour the oil out the tube into your drain pan. No mess, no burnt skin, no washers to replace, and best of all, no possible way to strip threads from remove and replace like your OEM plug. Very low profile. Only drawback is that you don't lose the tube w/ the fitting attached, and tto catch metal shaving you may need to pull the new plug off every once in a while. I have had this set up now for 25,000 miles and have never removed the new plug. Pricey, but you definately get what you pay for!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 PM

Genos plug

I've got mine from them. Love it. Very quick, hardly any mess, no issues with is bottoming out anywhere. Going to get one for my other CTD.

thumbs up here.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I put FUMOTOs on everything and love them, no drip, no oil running down my elbow, no fishing the drain-plug out of the catch-pan, no stripped threads, no mess, no wrench.

I catch the old oil in gallon-jugs via a small funnel; when a jug fills, I close the valve, switch jugs, and open the valve again.

A guy at the shop just removed the drain-plug from his vehicle one time too many; it cost him having to pull the pan and have the welding-shop weld in a new nut inside the oil-pan.

The guy that did the welding said he did at least one per week.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 AM

I got a Fumoto drain plug from Scheid's Diesel. You can get one with an extended hose or without. Works like a charm.

Aloha,
Matt
Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
You say there is no clearance issues. What about driving through tall grass, brush, etc? Any chance that they will hang and open automatically? I've never had one so not familiar with exactly how they work and what can & can't happen.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:27 AM

also would like to know...
Old 03-16-2008, 05:41 AM

By design, I don't think the Fumoto valve could open from driving in tall grass. It's a ballcock type valve that's spring loaded. You press it over an indention and then turn it. If it's a major concern, I would simply face the lever towards the back of the truck.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Some places that sell the FUMOTOs offer those springy-wire hose-clamp thingies as a safe-guard for those who worry that the valve might accidentally open, or be tampered with by some moron that would think it funny to watch all of your oil run out.

I don't see a FUMOTO being too easily opened by brush, tall grass, and the like, due to the need to unlock the handle against spring pressure and then turn down the valve.

To discourage idiots from messing with them, I use the little springy gizmos; I figure at least they would need a pair of pliers to open the valve.

I don't know what the outcome would be if one were to go to one of those quickie oil-change places with one of these valves; they would probably cut it off with a torch.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:20 PM

As far as clearance issues are concerned, someone at the trucking show was demonstrating the kind that requires a seperate drain-hose that must be threaded into the portion that remains in the oil-pan.

The valve that stays with the pan is no bigger than the head of the factory drain-plug, so clearance with that type should be no issue at all.

I used to have a link to them, but can't find it.

FRAM sells an almost identicle one.

When I was looking into it, the two-part hose type valves were selling for around $75, while the FUMOTOs were about $25.

The FUMOTOs are entirely self-contained, while the others require you to keep track of the special drain-hose, for without it, you aren't going to drain any oil out.

Also, the FUMOTOs can be turned on and off at will, while the hose-type are all or nothing.

Here is a link to the FUMOTO at Scheids :

http://www.scheiddiesel.com/fumoto_valve.htm

Not the spring-clip thingies I mentioned a while ago.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
From their website:

"Warning: For users under extreme conditions
If you are using the engine oil drain on off-road conditions such as corn fields or brush areas, it is recommended that a hose clip, as shown below, be used for extra safety and security."

I like. Sounds like a good mod and the hose clip should remove any fear of unanticipated oil evacuation.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:20 AM

you guys drain your oil that much
Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by daking
you guys drain your oil that much

It only takes one time to strip the threads in the oil-pan and be needing the truck right then to see the wisdom in these drain-valves.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the EZ Change drain plug http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....Z-DP-22MMPL-DG.

The old plug was start to fragment. Since I've installed this, no more burnt hands or oil on tools, it just screws in and things are good. Well worth the money... (IMHO)

The oil filter is another story...

Quick Reply: Quick Drain Oil Plugs