1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Questions for the 1st gen vets...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for the 1st gen vets...

What are the best places to buy aFe filters online?

I'm looking for an aFe #24-91009 Filter...

Piers sells them for $60.28 + $9.00 shipping, but not online. Normally I like to order a few things at once, and I'd like to get a few things from one source, and preferrably online, cause I can do it whenever I want, and I'm too busy to call to place an order during the day. Anyone you can refer to me?

I'm also wondering what injectors are the best bang for the buck. Smoke isn't a major problem...but I don't want it to smoke BADLY all the time, just under throttle.

I've heard the Lucas POD's and BD XXX's are good and within a reasonable price range, both resulting in similar power increases. Any ideas?

Last question:

What should it cost for a typical diesel shop to rebuild the VE44 pump on our trucks?

Since we're a turbo shop, and we refer alot of our customer's to a local diesel shop, who refer their customers to us...AND one of our guys lives with one the the techs from the diesel shop...i figured I'd get a good deal, but this sounds a bit outrageous to me....

Rebuild, Install 3200 RPM Gov Spring (I already have it, sitting in glove box) tweak & tune pump, adjust timing....$750.00...this includes all the labor removing & installing the pump from the truck.

Does this sound reasonable to you?
Old 04-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
POD's are hands down the most bang for your buck.
$750 sounds downright reasonable to me for what you say he's gonna do.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:28 PM

Set of Pod's on Ebay will only set ya back about $310-325.00.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

That price is pretty good when you factor in the labor and other tweaks.
You are going to want them to 'flow' the pump for you and, have them pin it at 1.6mm to 1.7mm..... they'll know what you mean...

pastor Bob.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:15 AM

I'm running the Bully Dog injectors....I didn't want the smoke that the PODs make, at least by everyone's accounts....
I get virtually 0 smoke at idle, even when cold, and only a little "trail" if I nail it at low to mid range....and I'm sure I could "tune" most of that out.....
I am very pleased with their performance.
Jay
Old 04-24-2004, 10:23 AM

OK...sounds good, just wanted to make sure... $750 is just a awful big amount of money for me to be blowing on my truck. I say it doesn't need a pump rebuild, cause it runs great now. But if he says it'll be easier then fine.

I've seen the POD's on eBay...and the BD's are around the same price...EDM's are out of the question...so I'll have to make a decision quick.

What about the filters? My paper element is the same one I got when I bought the truck...and it was "so-so". It's still decent, but I'd like to open it up with an aFe or Fleetguard, without the box
Old 04-25-2004, 10:31 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If it runs fine and isn't leaking, I would leave it. Bushy did a nice write up with pics on the gov spring. You don't need to remove the pump. Do the spring, injectors, and fuel pin and you'll be squared away at the pump. Save that $750 for a bigger turbo.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:37 PM

I need to find someone around here who know's 1st gens and can help walk me through the tweaking & tuning of the pump, as well as the installation of the gov spring. I want/need more power...but I'm a bit scared to start tampering with the pump on my daily driver...

Anyone around Waco, Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, College Station?

I'm going to try and get some prices without the rebuild...see if it's more reasonable... I'd like to save as much as I can so I can get some injectors soon...the HX-35/40 Hybrid is sitting in a bag waiting to be mounted.

What is the advantage of the 2-piece "pulse" manifold? Does the 2nd Gen 12V manifold work on our trucks? I know of a guy who has a "Pulse" manifold and wants to get rid of it for $100.... just curious.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Yes the 3 piece ATS manifold works on our trucks just fine. It should help reduce your temps by about 50-75*F, as well as improve the exhaust flow to the turbo hot end inlet. For that price BUY IT !!!!! you'll need the manifold gaskets of course.

The governor spring is fairly easy to do, it's really more of a "nervous factor" issue. Just do a thorough review of the pics that I've posted as well as the "how to" article.
If you like, let me know when you are going to do the job... I'll make a point of being near a phone and you can call me for some one on one help/pointers.
When you put the HX35 hybrid on, you should look at either a 14cm 'gated or a 16cm non-gated housing.
Keep in mind that a 14cm non-gated can start to develope some high drive pressures and result in high boost air temps at the upper levels without the wastegate.

pb.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:14 AM

TexasHardcore;
I bought an AFE off of wildcat diesel for a duamax (larger filter) for $46. +$6. shipping. If you do a search for cool air (all 1st gen)
there's a photo. Hope this helps.
ramguy
Old 04-27-2004, 03:16 AM

I'm not sure who I bought the AFE. It may have been Piers I'd have to check the files at home, sorry.
ramguy