1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A question for those running a LOT of IP timing advance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by apwatson50
I know when I had my pump advanced pretty far, when it was cold it would rattle pretty good. So I retarded it just enough to where it didn't rattle really bad when cold.

After I retarded the timing I noticed that the turbo seemed to spool a little faster also. Sounds right as there's now more heat available to power the turbine.

Now today I just got my "mess" started with my custom modified pump. The modified part that pertains to this thread is the timing piston that is now 2mm shorter on the retarded side. Thus I advanced the pump drive gear 1 tooth and set the pump just about stock to the case. All I've done so far is get it started but it starts nice and is very smooth. So I'm hoping that once its going I'll have more dynamic timing advance than before, not sure how much but we'll see.

Aaron
I had a buddy with a mill cut it down. only took a few minutes. The piston itself is aluminum with a steel insert in the middle. And it must be anodized.
I've noticed with this latest advance, the KSB seems to have less impact when used outside of it's intended purpose (racing). With 2.0mm lift, I could readily hear a difference in the engine idle. Now, hardly any difference.
I've not been dwelling on the R&D over at 1stGen (waiting for you guys to sort and test it), so I'm not as well versed with the pump's innards as I'd like just yet.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Generation Admin

Speaking of injection timing . . .. .

In reviewing some images unrelated (kinda), I noticed what I see as a flame propagation pattern on the piston (Five dark areas around the edge of the bowl).

- Would this be indicative of a less than ideal start if injection timing? (This is with 2.00mm lift running PDR 190s including the PDR supplied injector washers).
- Would thinner injector washers help in putting more fuel in the bowl?
- Could this in fact be an ATDC (After Top Dead Center) issue possibly as a result of the injection pump being maxed fuel delivery wise?

All the above is assuming we want all the fuel injected into the pistons bowl.

What'chawl reckon?

And what do you suppose about the pitting around the perimeter of the piston?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
I don't understand why they don't aim the holes towards the bowl more. I know with POD's you have to use the thinest washers you can get to keep the spray pattern down.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
Speaking of injection timing . . .. .

In reviewing some images unrelated (kinda), I noticed what I see as a flame propagation pattern on the piston (Five dark areas around the edge of the bowl).

- Would this be indicative of a less than ideal start if injection timing? (This is with 2.00mm lift running PDR 190s including the PDR supplied injector washers).
- Would thinner injector washers help in putting more fuel in the bowl?
- Could this in fact be an ATDC (After Top Dead Center) issue possibly as a result of the injection pump being maxed fuel delivery wise?

All the above is assuming we want all the fuel injected into the pistons bowl.

What'chawl reckon?

And what do you suppose about the pitting around the perimeter of the piston?
I'm not sure I can definitely answer all your questions, but I will say this. I have the bosch 190 injectors also and when I first installed them I used washers that were I believe .060" thick. I recently changed them out to the thinnest at about .020" thick and it really made the truck run better. IMO. It seemed to spool quicker and smoke a little less.

So to answer one of your questions, with advanced timing thinner washers should get the spray of fuel more into the bowl.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen that same pattern out of a very low hour stock engine that swallowed a valve.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my injectors r stock and i got my timming shoved about and inch from the head, is that too much? im lookin for power to pull and most of all mileage?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:53 PM

My question is how did you get those pictures? Through a inj. hole, or did you pull the head for some other reason? Did you hurt it this last trip at the races?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Generation Admin

I'm not sure I can definitely answer all your questions, but I will say this. I have the Bosch 190 injectors also and when I first installed them I used washers that were I believe .060" thick. I recently changed them out to the thinnest at about .020" thick and it really made the truck run better. IMO. It seemed to spool quicker and smoke a little less.

So to answer one of your questions, with advanced timing thinner washers should get the spray of fuel more into the bowl.
Yup, those washers used with the 190's sure looked a good .60". With my upgrading to the used DDP4s, DDP sent me the recommended washers which were a LOT thinner.

Originally Posted by JD730
I've seen that same pattern out of a very low hour stock engine that swallowed a valve.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

Originally Posted by stock600
My question is how did you get those pictures? Through a inj. hole, or did you pull the head for some other reason? Did you hurt it this last trip at the races?
The image was taken during my recent swapping a new head on. No issues to my knowledge short of needing a lot more air.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 AM
alwaysonDTR

if i could get more timeing advance out of the ksb plunger system, what would that do for me? more power at high rpm or better mileage?

i have some ideas on how to do it but haven't quite figured out the hard answer on why to do it.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
More conservative timing at low RPM for better torque and less black smoke on the bottom end.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
if i could get more timeing advance out of the ksb plunger system, what would that do for me? more power at high rpm or better mileage?

i have some ideas on how to do it but haven't quite figured out the hard answer on why to do it.
THe KSB only gives you more timing when cold, but it can't provide any more timing that the full amount that the mechanical advance gives you. In other words, Max advance is max advance, with or without the KSB.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 PM
alwaysonDTR

how does the internal advance work?

i thought it moved the plunger "part 31" in this https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=231863
toward the spring which rotates the rooler ring for more advance?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=Alwaysworking;2435525]how does the internal advance work?

The kSB doesn't physically move part 31, the timing advance piston, but it increases case pressure which in turn increases timing. So at rest the spring forces the piston towards the engine, then as case pressure increases this forces the piston away from the engine, turning the roller ring, thus increasing timing.

If you want to gain more dynamic timing control, mill 2mm off of the retarded side of the piston, which would be the side closest to the engine. This will give you more dynamic timing advance.

Make sense?

Aaron
Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 PM

[quote=apwatson50;2435547]

The kSB doesn't physically move part 31, the timing advance piston, but it increases case pressure which in turn increases timing. So at rest the spring forces the piston towards the engine, then as case pressure increases this forces the piston away from the engine, turning the roller ring, thus increasing timing.

If you want to gain more dynamic timing control, mill 2mm off of the retarded side of the piston, which would be the side closest to the engine. This will give you more dynamic timing advance.

Make sense?

Aaron
Well said.
I want to shave 2mm off the piston (al la Pastor Bob, RIP) but I'm hesitant to tear the pump apart that much to get to it... chicken really.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:55 PM
alwaysonDTR

[QUOTE=apwatson50;2435547]

Make sense?

Aaron

how much more will it give me?
why not take off the other side ? isn't that the way it moves when advanceing the timeing?

Quick Reply: A question for those running a LOT of IP timing advance.