1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pyrometer location

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pyrometer location

Gents, what is the correct location for the pyrometer sensor. Before the turbo or after. I here there can be huge differences in temp between the two locations. Before the turbo is best, but if it comes apart your turbo if a gonner. Whats involved in installation. Wiring and that stuff is fun to me, but Im unsure of the sensor setup. also same for the boost guage. What is a reasonable cost for quality guages? Thank You, Apache
Old 05-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Pyrometer location

The best place to mount your thermocouple would be pre turbo. I had mine in the elbow of the downpipe for quite sometime. After moving it to pre turbo, I found that the temp difference can be as much as 400* at times. Basically with post turbo, you are only seeing how good the turbo can cool off the exhaust gasses. <br><br>As for the thermocouple falling apart. I have not heard of one owner on this board or any other have any problems with theres. Some like to say that the thermocouple can melt and do damage. But, if you are running hot enough to damage the thermocouple, you have already done drastic damage to the engine. Possibly made a nice liquified version of your pistons.<br>The wiring is fairly simple. Some manufactures differ, however, you will have two pre cut wires running to the thermocouple (DO NOT CUT THE WIRE OR SHORTEN IT) from a junction box or from the gauge itself. A hot wire and ground wire running to the gauge or junction block.<br><br>The boost gauge is a fairly simple install. Just below the intake horn on the intake, you should see a 3'8 pipe plug. Take the plug out and install the nipple and compression fitting for the boost gauge. Run the supplied line from the compression fitting to the gauge. Then, run the hot and ground for the bulb.<br><br>Check with Rod at http://www.wildcatdiesel.com<br>for your gauges.